Probably a Vodafone thing. They had the N900 on an exclusive when it first came out. I've never found out, but does it carry Voda apps and bookmarks or is 'clean' so to speak. Worse, it's not got a voda version of Fremantle has it ??

Could the delay in Nokia not providing PR 1.3 to UK users being anything to do with adding special spy code to the firmware for the UK government?

The Following User Says Thank You to Trine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Trine View Post
Could the delay in Nokia not providing PR 1.3 to UK users being anything to do with adding special spy code to the firmware for the UK government?
No. Given the open nature of the firmware and the type of user that the N900 tends to have, this would be pointless

Posts: 262 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by jonquark View Post
One way is to go into "Settings > About Product"

You'll see a number like:
10.2010.19-1.203.1
(That's UK PR1.2)

It's the 203 that tells you which firmware. 203 is UK generic. 205 is Vodafone specific*. Without the 20x code there - not UK firmware.

* = most people in the UK on Vodafone will be on 203 (like me) only those who bought the phone directly from Vodafone (not Carphone Warehouse, Nokia etc.) seem to have that firmware.
I bought the phone direct from Nokia last November and i have 203, been using Tmobile sim from day one, no update yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nitchers For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
Probably a Vodafone thing. They had the N900 on an exclusive when it first came out. I've never found out, but does it carry Voda apps and bookmarks or is 'clean' so to speak. Worse, it's not got a voda version of Fremantle has it ??
For those that bought a Vodafone N900, then yes. For better or worse they have their own firmware version. However, delays to Vodafone's version should not affect the many who didn't buy a Vodafone N900 and are thus not using that firmware

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
flash to global firmware if you want the pr1.3

Originally Posted by Nitchers View Post
I bought the phone direct from Nokia last November and i have 203, been using Tmobile sim from day one, no update yet.
likewise, no update on mine...UK sim free purchase, on t-mo since day one...

Originally Posted by anandv76 View Post
likewise, no update on mine...UK sim free purchase, on t-mo since day one...
Nokia UK announced yesterday through their twitter feed that no UK release would be available for a couple of weeks. We've been discussing this a bit in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64455. Sadly @Nokia_UK seem to have stopped responding to requests for further clarification

Last edited by strongm; 2010-10-28 at 11:23. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
i just received a text from nokia telling me the update was available ... it doesnt make sense that its this fragmented

... and the update is not showing up in app man or fap man

I've also just received a text stating the update was available (I'm on t-mob with variant 203) but is said I had to do it using the PC. And indeed there is nothing on AppMan.

My only concern is that some people have reported the PC update (200MB) to wipe the phone of all data, settings, apps etc - is that correct? Will create a backup now anyway but if poss I wanted to avoid the extra work of restoring stuff.