Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
[IMG][/IMG]

MOD edit: removed image with IMEI

odd how it seems like im the only one?
i feel like will smith lol

Last edited by chemist; 2010-10-29 at 12:27.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
>odd how it seems like im the only one?

You are running the global firmware, not Uk firmware, that's why

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
So let's just confirm - we can use this method to completely switch from the UK generic firmware (i.e 203) to the global firmware without having to flash the N900?
Yes. I succeeded with this:

1)Change 203 or 205 to mr0 in the apt sources list
2)'apt-get install mp-fremantle-generic-pr modest-providers-data'
(just specifying 'mp-fremantle-generic-pr' should be sufficient here, but it seems apt can't figure out that it needs to install modest-providers-data to satisfy the dependency like other dependency-resolving package tools would, so you have to give it a hint until it has actually installed modest-providers-data).

This should have been enough, however, the following additional issues came up (I didn't note which order, some occurred more than once etc.):
  • Command in (2) fails, recommends running 'apt-get -f install', so, well, run 'apt-get -f install'. This may tell you it needs to uninstall mp-fremantle-generic-pr ... but there seems no other option for now. I don't know why it would have installed the package when the dependencies were not met ... rpm-based systems don't do this :-p
  • Command in (2) says mp-fremantle-generic-pr is no longer available (possibly due to above issue/resolution): run 'apt-get update'
  • Command in (2) says it can't install hildon-desktop-applet--settings-generic due to divert of 'hildon-desktop-applet-settings-205' conflicting with divert -generic package wants to add. Run 'dpkg-divert --remove /etc/hildon-desktop/home.plugins' to resolve.

I am not an experience Debian user, but I have been using Linux for 9 years, contributing to an rpm-based distro for 7 years, been using Linux professionally for 6, have two Linux certifications each from two major Linux certification entities, and know some apt/dpkg basics. I had to google to find that dpkg-divert is the command to use to fix broken "diverts" in dpkg, and read the --help to use it.

And what is the equivalent to 'rpm -q --scripts $installedpackage' or 'rpm -qp --scripts $packagefile' ?

I was prepared to flash (had flasher installed, had backed up using the backup application to an SDHC card, had global firmware ready), but didn't want to waste time finding applications when I could do something more productive like find out whether this works.

I also recommend doing the actual upgrade pieces from a PC via ssh, makes it quite a bit easier (I ran first 'apt-get install' on the device, as download took some time, and I couldn't stay at the laptop while it was downloading, but after the first error, switch to using ssh).

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
what a nob cheese i am. sorry!

Originally Posted by mr_xzibit View Post
nob cheese

Got to start using that more often

I dont see why people use the branded firmware or the uk/eu variant of the firmware. (unless you really love your network and like the extra content they add on)
I stick with Global as any updates etc always come out when they are suppose to & hence you don't need to wait about. So I got mine the day it was announced on the net that its released. Updated straight from the device no problem.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by babykitten View Post
Why are UK firmware updates delayed?
Punishment for trying to rule the seven seas?

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kent, UK
If I remember rightly... last time we got the little update last but got the BIG update first - will the UK be the first to get 1.3?

On the N900 they dont add much I think possibly they add Voice mail preset and disable the Skype Function..

Possibly with a lot of the Networks in the Uk clamping down on the Data Usage or at least charging for it. They want to ensure some functions are restricted ie video calling and add others I dont know possibly Data counter (Just me guessing no fact to back it up) as plenty of N900 users in the Uk may not use the extras and non default repostries due to the device being sold online and in the shops as a Iphone type phone..

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by andygee View Post
On the N900 they dont add much I think possibly they add Voice mail preset and disable the Skype Function..

Possibly with a lot of the Networks in the Uk clamping down on the Data Usage or at least charging for it. They want to ensure some functions are restricted ie video calling and add others I dont know possibly Data counter (Just me guessing no fact to back it up) as plenty of N900 users in the Uk may not use the extras and non default repostries due to the device being sold online and in the shops as a Iphone type phone..
Skype is exactly the same as in the generic firmware - the only place I've heard of it being disabled is India.

From looking at the global & UK firmware, there looks to be a number of config changes (things like internet radio stations - though I don't actually look to have the UK ones, so I'm not certain on this) and some extra scripts/config around WLAN. If I find time, I'll go through the diff and see what actual changes there are (there's a lot of gconf changes which come out just because the modified timestamp is different). A number of the changes look to be just cleanups/text clarifications which really ought to be in the global firmware anyway, so perhaps the UK team isn't actually speaking to the global team (which would explain a lot).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post: