Notices

Ok, uploaded my current source to extras-devel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Frankly, with all the backups and restores, I could have inadvertantly reverted to 26 from 26-2 by mistake. Don't think so, but it's possible. Questions:

a) The version from -devel is 26-2?
b) If I need to revert to 22 from 26, do I need to go through the whole procedure in post 1, or can I simply unpack the tar and maybe CHMOD?
c) Would it make sense to back up to a folder on SD, say /media/mmc1/BackupMenu or similar? Right now all the .tar files are listed and I can't use folders to archive old backups.
d) Would it be possible, if renaming isn't available, to only list *root*.tar when restoring root and so on? It seems too easy to restore an opt to a root or the other way around. Never tried, though.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

can any body confirm if this is working on PR1.3 the default back up manager is so so pants !!

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
I'm having some problems now that I have upgraded to PR 1.3. Here's my sequence of events:

Under PR 1.2:

- followed install instructions that appeared on page 1 of this thread that involved using terminal and unpacking the backupmenu-20101022.tar.gz file (these instructions no longer appear on page 1)
- install and backup went fine
- subsequent backup failed as N900 would only boot into Maemo
- turned out for some reason I needed to re-install bootmenu-n900 (would only work via terminal not App Manager). After this, 2nd backup went fine
- updated to PR 1.3

Under PR 1.3

- backup of both Rootfs and Optfs got hung up on the Rootfs backup with the following error that appeared after 10 seconds:

./var/tmp/qcop-server-0: socket ignored

The size of the backup increased to 281.2M at 45 sec and nothing would happen after this, other than the time on the timer increasing. Tried a second time with the same results.

- Under App Manager, I then installed from extras-devel BackupMenu ver. 0.32-1
- tried another backup of both Rootfs and Optfs with the same error and same result as above

Any clue as to why this is happening or what can be done?

Thank you.

@ndi:
a. Yes - its more like 26-2 than anything. I must remind you, though, that the difference between these versions is miniscule - a couple bugfixes or extra functionality added at most. In this case, v0.48-3 is the "26-2" version with an added "special features" menu.

b. Yea, just extract the archive, and (possibly) chmod. Though, now with the .deb packages being available, all you have to do is download and do "dpkg -i backupmenu-version.deb" as root, or just use apt-get if you want the latest/current release.

c. I didn't provide a selectable place for the simple reason of ease - naming would add an extra chunk of code to the mix. Later, I might do so.
Currently though, you can move them to any sub-folder you want - backupmenu uses "find /location/ -name '*.tar'" to get it's list.

d. I'll do this when I take the time to really read the "find" man-page and figure out a way to select both ".tar" and ".tar.gz" files. Probably very simple, I just haven't messed with it yet.

@stevomanu: It worked for me. Like all potentially dangerous software, make a standard backup before trying it. If it works once, it should -continue- to work.

@jsbigs: With PR1.2, no clue what happened. Maby something with bootmenu-n900 got corrupted? You got a bad block on your flash chip perhaps?

With PR1.3, I've seen this happen twice now. I'm guessing tar's getting "stuck" on something. As such, I'm excluding the "/tmp" and "/var/tmp" directory contents in the next version (V0.49) which should be appearing in the next hour, provided I can upload it to the build queue in a reasonable period of time.

Also, there shouldn't be any way to get v.32 through the app manager anymore, and it doesn't have any way to give that error.

edit: And now, we wait. V0.49-2's in the queue.

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-10-31 at 07:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
will wait for new version an try that then !!
i take it , reinstalls all apps an there dep with out the internet ??

It takes a copy of the -entire- os -as it stands-. This means that all programs, config, settings, what-have-you are saved. This also means, however, that if you have a corrupt file or other problem -before- you back it up, you will have it -after- you restore that backup, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
d. I'll do this when I take the time to really read the "find" man-page and figure out a way to select both ".tar" and ".tar.gz" files. Probably very simple, I just haven't messed with it yet.
Use the -o (or) option to find...

Like this:
Code:
find . -name '*.tar' -print -o -name '*.tar.gz' -print

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-10-31 at 10:05.

Hello,

few weeks ago I added some patches for backupmenu. See my bzr branch on LP:
https://code.launchpad.net/~pali/+junk/maemo_backupmenu

I added backupmenu entry for bootmenu-n900, so It is possible to boot backupmenu as other systems.

@RobbieThe1st: it is possible to merge my changes?

Yes and no. The current version is signifigantly different than the v0.32 that you were working on.

The code for the bootmenu-n900 launch code I -will- take, however.
It looks like I can just replace my current /etc/bootmenu-n900/backupmenu.item with:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="BackupMenu"
ITEM_ID="flash"
ITEM_LINUXRC="/usr/share/backupmenu/BackupMenuLauncher.item"
If it works, I'll add it to the next upload.
Edit: Nope, it doesn't. I made sure "#!/bin/sh" was the first line in the above file, but it just hangs at "loading *file* from flash"

edit 2:
I'm not sure if the autobuilder took my script or not. It said it did, but it hasn't appeared in the build list yet and the server is SLOW. It may be down or caught in a loop or something.

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-10-31 at 11:11.

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system