Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
So I just had an update come across from Extras-Devel for BackupMenu ver. 0.50-3, except I already have ver. 0.50-3 installed. Why is that?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Well, no, but a while ago you said that it would be nice to include some stuff within the partition that is loaded up at boot, so that you could use a more complete shell and more things from within the shell you get in bootmenu...

And I think some of those are libraries for various things... One, "Lib" is typically used for libraries, as I've learned, and two, gcc, c, and z, and usb appended to lib makes me thing that some of these are libraries that will allow for support for certain command line things (the exact names and functions of which I may not know, but presumably they would make working with an unbooting N900 from the bootmenu easier). Frankly though, I am a linux newb for anything beyond shell one-line commands. Can't right fancy scripts really, and don't have enough command knowledge to pull complex stuff on the fly from memory... Don't even fully intuitively know the file system yet. *Shrug* Am I close though? Trying to include some libraries into the partition that you have access to when in bootmenu so that you can do more from that shell?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
this app has reached a stable enough position for me to give it a go, cheers

edit: I just easily and successfullly created a complete backup !

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Berlin/Germany
how about uboot and backupmenu. are they working together? (i guess not )

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
So I just had an update come across from Extras-Devel for BackupMenu ver. 0.50-3, except I already have ver. 0.50-3 installed. Why is that?
Not entirely sure, but it shouldn't be an issue. It's the exact same source files either way.

@Mentalist Traceur: You've got the right idea, but went about it the wrong way.
FYI, the three important lines are the apps that were run: "ldd flasher" "ldd ubinize" and "ldd mkfs.ubifs"
ldd - If you haven't already looked it up - lists all libraries required for a specific application. If you want to copy an application to another system, you have to copy all of it's required libraries also, or else it won't work.

Now, the applications in question... Where have I seen those before?.
;3

@f2thak: You won't know if you have a successful backup until you've seen that you can actually -restore- to it and have it boot. Sure, so long as the file-size is appropriate(200-300mb typically), you can tell that your rootfs -probably- will restore, but until you test restore it, you can't know for sure.

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-11-03 at 05:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
New question for you guys: I've got someone in the IRC chat wondering about USB networking and BackupMenu. I recall one of you guys managed to get it working; could you post a tutorial on exactly how?

Thanks.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Wish I could help, especially given how much you helped me in this thread to expand my knowledge, but the only post I could find where someone got USB mode (in pages 3-8, at least. Someone can check the other ones, I'm pressed for time, but at least these are out of the way), is this: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=27

Thanks Robbie, for such a wonderful application!

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
I recall one of you guys managed to get it working; could you post a tutorial on exactly how?
Might be me you're referring to NB It is working on old BackupMenu (0.32 or something) - haven't been brave enough to try out V2 yet

For tutorial what I did was just follow this:
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking
made sure it was working properly when running the N900 normally. Then when in BackupMenu just activate the ssh option (and I think it automatically turns on USB networking - or just activate usb networking manually) and away you go.

Found one quirk when restoring yesterday, it restores all your alarms fine but none of them are activated :P was an hour late

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system