Active Topics

yes that works , but the phone will most probably be losing more power than it's actually charging and will eventually power off , this is due current limit in autonomous mode .

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
but
1) external source will sustain whatever usb device
2) instead of powering external usb device the charger chip will sustain N900 power consumption, even at 100 mA

finally battery's voltage will fall slower than normal mode

and joerg created a charging script
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=861

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-11-29 at 20:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
my battery is fully charged now , I will wait a while till it discharges a bit then try the script while running host mode and verify current with a multimeter .
hopefully host mode would be sustained and phone charges at currents > 100mA . I have doubts that using that script would interfere with host mode session .

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
This is just a post to prepare devs if anyone wants to base their application on h-e-n's GUI.
The application will now have a status menu plugin to unmount partitions.

The application will also send dbus signals (on the system bus), the following signals are sent (if you don't know what this means, you probably don't need it):
Code:
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "applicationExiting");
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "vbusOn");
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "vbusOff");
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "mountButtonClicked");
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "unmountButtonClicked");
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "fullSpeed");
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "lowSpeed");
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "highSpeed");
    QDBusMessage message = QDBusMessage::createSignal("/org/maemo/hen", "org.maemo.hen", "enumerateClicked");
The UI will also have a driver info window, which will show output of /proc/driver/musb_hdrc and lsusb, the output is refreshed every 1.5s

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
my battery is fully charged now , I will wait a while till it discharges a bit then try the script while running host mode and verify current with a multimeter .
hopefully host mode would be sustained and phone charges at currents > 100mA . I have doubts that using that script would interfere with host mode session .
i don't think so.
if vbus is off in h-e-n then nothing happen on i2c bus from h-e-n perspective (internals)
so you can do on bus whatever you want

The Following User Says Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
I have tried the script , it doesn't interfere with host mode , however , if I do lsusb or device gets reset, host mode is lost whether I am using the charging script or charging in autonomous mode ..

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
This is just a post to prepare devs if anyone wants to base their application on h-e-n's GUI.
The application will now have a status menu plugin to unmount partitions.
bad idea, h-e-n is already opened why should we use the status bar to unmount or mount ? it will just make the status bar longer

i don't loose host if i do lsusb only if i disconnect the device ( as expected ? )
because vbus is on, state machine should remain in host mode.

i have an idea and I will test it tomorrow

Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
bad idea, h-e-n is already opened why should we use the status bar to unmount or mount ? it will just make the status bar longer
gui is not necessary.
i don't remember a os with a gui for host, unmount button is like "safely remove ..." in case you need to flush cache on flash device

Last edited by blue_led; 2010-11-30 at 01:13.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
for now, even while it's not explicitly noted somewhere, h-e-n GUI is supposed to end hostmode and disable VBUS boost mode, on closing it.
I'm not a fan of this concept, but as long as we are following it, it's actually necessary to keep it open during hostmode, and also I don't see any better way to enable hostmode than via some kind of GUI.
"safely remove" has already been suggested to Mohammad by me. Nevertheless AgogData's point is valid. Unless we change that concept of tearing down hostmode on closing GUI.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Hmm, maybe I could add a hold the status bar applet to hide the UI sort of thing?

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host