Active Topics

I've been testing my phone out quite a bit. I have tried all the profiles at different frequncies using the power kernel. I have come to a conclusion that my N900 is fastest when its at min 1100 and max 1100 on lv profile.

What I'm wondering is if at this constant freuquncy and voltage profile, would my N900 battery drain much faster than the default kernel?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
No not really, it is actually using a lower voltage than the default profile.

I cant find the voltage tables at the moment to give you actual figures but running at 1100 you will be using the same voltage as the default kernel at 600Mhz.

You should get longer battery life unless you are keeping the cpu at 100%, even then, technically you should get the same battery life as you would doing the same on the stock kernel.

From what I am experiencing, I drop about 4% doing absolutely nothing every 30 minutes. Does that seem right?

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ShaolinMilk View Post
From what I am experiencing, I drop about 4% doing absolutely nothing every 30 minutes. Does that seem right?
Hmm try typing 'root' into the Terminal. Then type 'top'.

Is there an app at a suspiciously high CPU usage? Watch the page for many seconds, it refreshes every 5 secs or so.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
No not really, it is actually using a lower voltage than the default profile.

I cant find the voltage tables at the moment to give you actual figures but running at 1100 you will be using the same voltage as the default kernel at 600Mhz.

You should get longer battery life unless you are keeping the cpu at 100%, even then, technically you should get the same battery life as you would doing the same on the stock kernel.
This is not correct. Voltage, as well as frequency, plays into total power consumption. He will indeed use more power with his frequency pegged at 1100MHz.

@ShaolinMilk
I suggest using min:500 max:1100.
In this scenario, your phone will feel quite responsive at all times compared to 250MHz, while saving some power compared to 1100MHz. Also, when your CPU needs, it will raise its clocks to 1100MHz.

m0da: Okay I'm going to try that. When i used ideal's profile, it didn't feel as responsive.