Notices

I would like to see this too. Not that I'm any good with these things but I could easily spare a good few hundred Mbs for Loops & Samples to play with my existing playlist.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Wow. This would be the Ultimate App Of Ultimate Destiny! Been ages since I've last been coding, but if I can help this happen, I'm ready to learn the new tricks

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
I can't code but I would def love to be a tester. I'm a DJ on the weekends when college isnt taking over my life.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Excellent, always waiting for somethig like this....

Thanks.

No coding here but I will also help with the testing phase. I've wanted a DJ program for so long

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Portugal
I'm currently working on this app:

It's a MIDI controler for DJs. Currently it emulates the Staton SCS.3d
But still under development...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amilcar Santos For This Useful Post:
why do i feel we are being "punked here" 2 first time posters promising 2 amazing programs.. hope you guys are not the same person

I was really surprised to find no mixing apps for the n900, the device is such a powerhouse that im surprised its not targeted more by developers. I suppose iphones are in more pockets.

I designed the interface based on how i dj using traktor and my pacemaker. I use my pacemaker more then traktor because to put traktor to good use a usb controller is ideal. A mate of mine mixes using a digital jockey 2 and its a pretty good unit, but i wanted portability and i like being different so the pacemaker won.

Firstly i think you need to look at your needs and decide exactly what it is you need and rule out what you dont need. Anyone who wants to dj / mix seriously would not be using a phone, even the pacemaker is looked down on by a lot of dj's. Anyone looking for a serious sdj solution is kidding themselves if they think anything less then a pacemaker will cut it. I reasearched long and hard and the pacemaker is the most portable feature packed solution available.

What you would be using this app for would be practising, and once your good maybe doing some low key house parties. More serious use requires more serious hardware.

Anyone who has some experience with djing will know it really doesnt take much to create a good mix. If your good musically and learn your tools, you dont notice your limitations.

I think these days too much time is spent highlighting the limitations of your hardware rather then appriciating what you have. People just starting out are spoiled for choice as far as equipment goes. Back in the day there was no beat matching, waveforms and other handy features, you mixed by ear and you knew your tunes.

Monitoring cue points is something i thought long about, but simplicity is my priority and i dont think its required. When i mix i rarely use headphones. I know my music and because i know where the build ups and drop offs are, i dont need waveforms to know when to apply an effect, loop or mix in a track. Beatmatching also means you wont be needing headphones to get your tunes in sync, its done for you.

With this app, you can see your music through the wave form. Build ups and drop offs are easy to see and when cueing a track, providing you know your music, it wont be hard to scroll to that point and cue from there. Hit sync, set the crossfade and your eq's, then drop the new track.

I wont go into too much detail about how much can be done using so little, i will upload a mix using no headphones on my pacemaker and show you what basic mixing can produce.

Now as far as whats been done, the photo is of my interface concept, which is almost complete. I just need to tweak a few things then start on the config page, effects menu's and file browser.

I would love to say that im halfway through the build but unfortunately im not a programmer, i just decided this needed to be made and i think i have the skills and experience to design a good interface and the apps overal functions.

I only started working on the interface on Friday night, but i wanted to get this out there and start getting some interest and hopefully some help.

I'll finish the interface concept and post a full size version so you guys can view it on your 900's and get a sense of its layout.

So right now im open to suggestions and of course need help.

Im aware of the programme called Mixxx, it could be ported but i think thats a waste of time. A fresh start is needed here, we would spend the same ammount of time removing unwanted aspects of Mixxx and optimizing it, as we would making a new app optimized for the n900's hardware.

Im still at work at the moment, ill pop back in tonight and hopefully have a pacemaker mix and the full size interface for you.

Cheers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to s13n1 For This Useful Post:
Ah so this is just at the photoshop phase? Shaame i was hoping to have a play on it haha. I did notice it looks very similar to Traktor dj. I used to use Traktor pro and then Serato but...for some strange reason i just get more creative when i use cds. Hope somebody picks up on this project but allas like you said...theres more iphones in pockets than N900 and theres still no app for the iphone. Id even love just a single working Traktor deck on the phone with cue/play/bpm/pitch etc so i can use my phone as backup and 3rd decks for accapellas

I just got into using virtualDJ myself. To be honest if my phone could do what vdj can it would be a dream come true. I cant do any advanced code but I could help with design elements if its needed.

I really hope some good developers get into this one, im pretty sure people (including myself) would pay for a release like this.

Tags
toads toaty