Active Topics

Originally Posted by flipalong View Post
well for support, absolutely nothing from nokia besides ovi which is just crap. the maemo.org community is the only support but IT IS AWESOME!! u can look around if u want to.
the n900 certainly isnt a phone for a normal user. if u just want a normal touch screen smartphone that does basically everything, get an iphone or android or whatever
if you want something a bit different, get a n900. sure its a big fat and doesnt have super duper good specs, but do u know a phone that can run android, windows 95, ubuntu, mer, heaps and heaps of emulators, etc?
of course it also does all ur phone stuff, except 3g video calls all of your instant messages and texts are grouped into a conversations app.
in my opinion, i am very happy with my n900, but its ur choice for what u wanna buy

just do some research and you wont be dissapointed with whatever phone u choose to buy
With a data plan or wifi, you can use the integrated Skype to perform video calls on the N900. (Which is the key reason I brought it). You can also do video calls through Google.

The Following User Says Thank You to fidel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dagoss View Post
My current plan with Sprint is about to expire. I'm torn between getting an Android phone with Sprint on contract (not sure which one), or getting an n900 on T-mobile prepaid in the Buffalo, NY area. I want to avoid a high monthly bill, and I'm not someone who really lives in the cloud, so I feel like I wouldn't get out of an Android phone what I'd pay into it. I mostly use my phone for sms, email, and Facebook, occasionally for GPS.

I'd just like to know how people feel about the device now that it's been around for awhile and, as I understand it, Nokia no longer supports Maemo. Are there any common hardware issues? Is the community still active?
This device is not for you. You seem to be looking for cheap and simple, but this device is all about freedom. Freedom doesn't come cheap, and it's not simple. Keep shopping.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
This device is not for you. You seem to be looking for cheap and simple, but this device is all about freedom. Freedom doesn't come cheap, and it's not simple. Keep shopping.
Cheap can mean freedom, just because the OP is not prepared to stump up a hefty phone bill every month. I also fall into that catagory as I do not make a lot of calls, but do use mobile data, and my N900 heavily, and I got mine on a "cheap" tariff. I do value freedom though.

My major uses of the N900 are audio MP3/internet radio/FM radio, facebook, photos, sms, email, twitter, web, as well as things like VNC and the terminal to manage my Mythtv system. I find the keyboard and camera are really great, and the builtin fm transmitter and receiver are also handy to say the least. Oh yea, and show me another device in this class that can have 64gb of storage on the device.

For these uses I find the N900 fantastic. Yes it's not perfect, but it is a very good system, and a bit of searching and digging on these wonderful forums will answer most or all questions. It is a fiddler's dream.

No smartphone is perfect though. The Usb port had some issues reported early on, but these seem to have been resolved.

If the OP is prepared for the trade off where some customisation, and installation of apps to fill in some of the cracks in the N900s armour then it could be a very good choice.

The N900's sucessor has not been announced yet, and although there is likely to be no more official updates from nokia, warranty support would be fine, and the community support is still extremely strong, and likely to be so for the forseeable future.

Otherwise I would either look at the new symbian^3 phones (C6-01, C7). We've just got an N8, and it is very nice, although you know it's a phone, unlike the N900 which is a pocker computer which'll make calls.

Some of the Android devices look interesting, but they allways seem to fall short in at least one detail, again no perfect solution.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

You should not think.
You should go and buy 1.

@gazza_d

Stop projecting yourself onto the OP and read what they wrote. This device is not for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
@gazza_d

Stop projecting yourself onto the OP and read what they wrote. This device is not for them.
A:

B:
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
My current plan with Sprint is about to expire. I'm torn between getting an Android phone with Sprint on contract (not sure which one), or getting an n900 on T-mobile prepaid in the Buffalo, NY area. I want to avoid a high monthly bill, and I'm not someone who really lives in the cloud, so I feel like I wouldn't get out of an Android phone what I'd pay into it. I mostly use my phone for sms, email, and Facebook, occasionally for GPS.

I'd just like to know how people feel about the device now that it's been around for awhile and, as I understand it, Nokia no longer supports Maemo. Are there any common hardware issues? Is the community still active?
If you want to use T-Mobile Pre-paid make the counterman PROVE that you can buy data access on any T-Mobile pre-pay device.

There has been a long standing bug that prevents pre-pay users from purchasing the daily Internet package. Although you don't live in the cloud you will still want to go on-line from time to time and without a data package you will be limited to the latest iteration of T-zones.

The N900 might or might not be perfect for you but T-Mobile pre-pay, and I have an active line using that on my backup phone, may not suit your needs because of this data plan purchasing glitch. Once you are off T-Mobile there are few US carriers that support the 3G bands on the N900. Maybe the new Wal-Mart network?

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ New York, United States
Well if there's one question that has been answered completely by this thread, it is that this community is definitely alive and kicking, and it's members are extraordinarily helpful and friendly.

@yss

My current phone is a Blackberry Tour. I went with it because of my previous job. I've been a Linux user for a few years now, so I'm comfortable tweaking, screwing things up because I'm too comfortable tweaking, fixing what I screwed up, etc. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards n900.

@Mentalist Traceur

Thank you for all that information. That was amazingly helpful.

I think my biggest concern with a pre-paid plan is data usage. Right now I average around 1 GB, but that was with my previous job (streaming A LOT of Pandora, lots of emails, web browsing when my clients were late, etc). I can probably bring that usage down a lot because my previous phone didn't have wifi and I'm usually around wifi.

This is my only phone at the moment, so I'm not comfortable getting a data-only plan and using skype. I'm thinking of the prepaid plan with 100 MB a month. Is it easy to manage data-useage, like can I turn off data usage and leave on the rest of my network coverage?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
@Mentalist Traceur

Thank you for all that information. That was amazingly helpful.
Happy to help.

This is my only phone at the moment, so I'm not comfortable getting a data-only plan and using skype. I'm thinking of the prepaid plan with 100 MB a month. Is it easy to manage data-useage, like can I turn off data usage and leave on the rest of my network coverage?
Yes, there's ways. I personally make sure I'm not signed on in any of my instant-messenger/email accounts when I'm not using them, and I don't have anything else that runs in the background that I've ever noticed. On the other hand, I don't actually HAVE 3G on my account right now, so it's possible I have stuff trying to connect, that just isn't getting anywhere. (But I've looked at /proc/net/dev and there's very little outbound traffic most of the time.)

Beyond that, there's actually at least two apps (2G/3G/Both switcher, and an "Advanced Interface Switcher" - one just does what it says, the latter is a more all-in-one switcher for telephony, bluetooth, and WiFi) - both allow you to just completely shut down 3G connectivity, and put your phone down to 2G-only. Or, alternatively, 3G-only or the normal both/either mode.

If you're really fiddly, you can probably set up iptables or something, and use dbus scripts to keep outbound traffic heavily controlled when not on WiFi. But that's outside my area of expertise.

The phone is good and the community is also very much active and will be as QT and Meego takes place. But for the features you have mentioned, Android has better facebook client better email client and also better GPS software.
However community has ported Android to N900. I dont know how sucessful is it as i havent used it. MAemo is not that friendly (landscape, miss the potrait mode) and itis highly customisable.