Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
It is just a phone though.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
It is just a phone though.
Actually, it's no phone. I still have my N900 and the C7-00, but what to do if I'll have to (or want to) replace them? Will there be a phone on the market that will meet my requirements? Maybe, if I wait long enough. If I look around today: no; not one single phone out there I could buy.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
to stop the fire you must use more fire

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bourdain View Post
Wow, can't believe how many *****s believe Elop is single handedly behind this strategy in an attempt to destroy Nokia.

This decision was probably taken before he came on board; he's just the public face for it. It's no coincidence that a Microsoft man was called in with such a big MS partnership announcement.
Isn't it obvious that he joined Nokia with 100% determination just to have it destroyed? Either he still works for Microsoft or he is as dumb as a peacock. So many decisions could have ended much cheaper for Nokia and could have revived the company with no need of establishing partnership with a company such as Microsoft. Think of the relation, ex Microsoft employee <--> Microsoft, partner...

Don't you think Nokia is capable of producing a mainstream device with Maemo 5 just to grab some time? Capacitive screen, OMAP 3630. However, this device unlike N900 could have been different and upgradeable to MeeGo. It's pure stupidity to pay for a license for WP7 and than wait out again to have a device released with such a limited software (WP7 device is not a smartphone and not worthy of the flagship title).

Furthermore, reception of this said production of a WP7 Nokia device has been too negative this past 30 hours, stock market included. Elop focused 100% on the merger and won't present anything at MWC while Samsung presents Galaxy S2, LG Optimus 3D. He could have MeeGo ready at a presentable state and should have tested the response on their vision. It would also be a much cheaper option to finish MeeGo, at least they will have their own OS and offer something different than the competition. How will Nokia differ from LG Optimus 7, HD7 since Elop said they won't skin WP7.

As for Symbian, Elop has killed a huge market for Nokia that's been built painfully this past decade. What will happen to candybar T9, QWERTY phones (business oriented E72)? WP7 is not functional and simple for business users. Also if you didn't know MS has been threatened by Symbian long ago and now have the chance to stop it, especially since S^4 looks promising. Why drop it and piss off so many non american satisfied Symbian users? How many 5800 are sold and still sell? N97 (with flaws)? N97 mini? etc.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
So after we have identified strengths and weaknesses, what does Flop do?

Kill the strengths (the existing platforms), add to the weakness of always being to late by changing to a new platform (how long will this take?) and further alienating the developers (or elitists with tech snobbisness, as you prefer to call them) by telling them that "sorry, all the effort you put into our 2010-strategy with Qt etc. was in vain, we've changed our plans - again".

People here shake their heads because they instinctively understand that Flop jumped into the cold Atlantic when he had an effective fire extinguisher in his hands. - Maybe he (or even Nokia) will survive. But the platform, worth billions, is destroyed for good when it could have been saved. And it's this platform people are interested in. Not Nokia or Mr. Flop from North America.
*edit* patlak is an even better example. * benny, not to pick on you, but why does everyone keep insisting that elop did this? He is only the mouthpiece for Nokia for an announcement of this magnitude.

do you all seriously believe that elop somehow tricked Nokia into hiring himself? That when the board (who hired him) interviewed him, he completely failed to mention his insidious evil plan. Or that the board missed reading the part of his resume where he listed microsoft as a former employer?

Clearly he was hired for his ties to microsoft, to get the deal done, and change the direction Nokia was heading. Heck, perhaps he was even hired as part of the deal with microsoft.

One man didn't do this, Nokia management and the board did.

benny, you are entitled to express your opinion on what you think is right for you. If your favorite vegetarian restaurant was losing money, and the owner felt the only way to make his investment profitable was to change to a less specialized restaurant, sure, you'd be upset. If, in the end it works for him, then he made the right decision, no matter how much you think he was wrong to do it. He has to look after his needs, not yours (unless you are a partner).

Frankly, until everyone starts voicing their complaints at the right party (the board, management) and continues to single out the person who made the announcement, no one will take their complaints seriously.

Would anyone be happy if Elop was fired, but Nokia continued down the path he outlined?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
why does everyone keep insisting that elop did this? He is only the mouthpiece for Nokia for an announcement of this magnitude.
... not that this is in any way related to the point I was trying to make, but:

If Flop is payed for being the mouthpiece, he has to live with being the scapegoat. It's the same role anyway.

And him 'only being the mouthpiece' doesn't mean the decision he announced on 2/11 magically becomes right.

*edit* patlak is an even better example. * benny, not to pick on you, but why does everyone keep insisting that elop did this? He is only the mouthpiece for Nokia for an announcement of this magnitude.

do you all seriously believe that elop somehow tricked Nokia into hiring himself? That when the board (who hired him) interviewed him, he completely failed to mention his insidious evil plan. Or that the board missed reading the part of his resume where he listed microsoft as a former employer?

Clearly he was hired for his ties to microsoft, to get the deal done, and change the direction Nokia was heading. Heck, perhaps he was even hired as part of the deal with microsoft.

benny, you are entitled to express your opinion on what you think is right for you. If your favorite vegetarian restaurant was losing money, and the owner felt the only way to make his investment profitable was to change to a less specialized restaurant, sure, you'd be upset. If, in the end it works for him, then he made the right decision, no matter how much you think he was wrong to do it. He has to look after his needs, not yours (unless you are a partner).

Frankly, until everyone starts voicing their complaints at the right party (the board, management) and continues to single out the person who made the announcement, no one will take their complaints seriously.

Would anyone be happy if Elop was fired, but Nokia continued down the path he outlined?
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia...threat_id16237

I doubt that Nokia was planning 3 years ago to partner with MS and leave the company at such a stagnant state when there are much more better decisions that can be made. Try to put the pieces together and see what you get. I don't back up any company, I am just being realistic.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I am so pissed of with Stephen Elop. Nokia was doing great until OPK left. All the problems started since Elop came. Ansi, & Jaaksi left and now Elop has totally destroyed the finnish company. Is there anything we as consumers can do to let the stock holders know our disapproval of Elop's plans? Surely this is not the way to go forward. What will happen to the Finnish economy? What about all the employees at nokia who have been working on symbian and meego?
Is there anything we can do to get our old nokia back??? Like an open letter to the stock holders to fire Elop and stop this madness??
Elop did the right thing. Nokia was losing market share everywhere. After multiple Nokia phones, I have to say that Symbian was recently not on par with other OSs and will never be. Have you tried N8? Laughable OS. I think this is the only move he could have done given the circumstances. I hope this gives more impetus for Meego team to show they can compete. Internal competition is good. Its on the Meego team to show that Meego can differentiate itself competitively from the rest. You snooze, you lose. Simple as that.

It is interesting that USA is now the dominant OS force.

What we should do, IMHO, is to throw all our assess behind making MeeGo really rock (yes, we can - it's free software!) and as "members of the MeeGo community" ask as many device (smartphone and tablet) manufacturers as possible to adopt MeeGo.
Let's start!

The Following User Says Thank You to KaiRo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You do know that people will rarely admit this being the truth. If you read the commentary, everything was ok, it was just a slight slump, Nokia had the tools (which, this part I agree with actually) but things were great... and along came Elop, aka Flop, brought along his Elopacalypse and the Microsoft croonies and nobody knows why.

Everything was just perfect if you read this overall levels of disbelief around these parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining