Active Topics

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Its not the speed. the UI is WAY behind droid and apple. it would freeze, not respond, there is no good global search function, my emails would come in different and laughable fonts..........its simply crap
UI has nothing to do with freezes and have you experienced this freezes yourself? There is a global search function, even on my 4 year old N73. You seem to be simply crap at coming to conclusion of what crap is.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Elop did the right thing. Nokia was losing market share everywhere. After multiple Nokia phones, I have to say that Symbian was recently not on par with other OSs and will never be. Have you tried N8? Laughable OS. I think this is the only move he could have done given the circumstances. I hope this gives more impetus for Meego team to show they can compete. Internal competition is good. Its on the Meego team to show that Meego can differentiate itself competitively from the rest. You snooze, you lose. Simple as that.
(Just repost of my my post from other thread):

Nokia did their business around wireless communications. They did it very well and grew into a big company.

But time changes and market is saturated with handsets. To be on top they need to invent something - Steve Jobs did in similar case iPhone (Apple was just computer manufacturer that time) then iPad etc. But they just was driven into smartphone market and that territory is not good for RF handset manufacturer - it requires a software development skill and it competes with computer vendors.

If Nokia did a good move - conquer mobile video communication market or mobile TV or something else then they could be transited into new market and keep their top place. But they didn't risk to do it ... and that is an exactly reason, why Nokia considers Maemo/MeeGo as a stepson - they just don't believe in it. They just invest in Symbian ignoring that it may be only a temporary solution with limited outcome (just remember that it is a software market, not hardware, and Symbian can't compete with giants)

So, MS-Nokia alliance seems very logical from that point of view - get an access to resources of very big software manufacturer, Linux is not seen as a serious solution from their point of view.

It is a very common among top managers, just reminder - two years ago nobody consider Linux-based/open source based phone system seriously at all and even Google was forced to manufacture his own phone (Nexus1) to prove manufactures it. Google stopped selling it as fast as it confirmed that anybody get a lesson. Now anybody knows where is the future... just in one year... but it is too late for Nokia.

ADDED: top management can't be just judges in internal competition, they need some vision to win a market. Nokia hasn't a right one.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
UI, UI, UI,... If a phone can't do what I want it to do, what good is a shiny UI? and this is exactly what seems to happen: some phones have simple, easy UIs because there's no functionality it needs to expose to you. - If you don't need this functionality, then go for a model that costs money not because of what it can do, but how it looks.

I own the C7-00 - same OS as the N8-00, but lacks all the hardware goodies. The global search function sits right in the middle of your standard home screen when you first boot the phone after you unboxed it. It searches everywhere - documents, media metadata, mail, contacts, calendar, even map data...

I never experienced the UI freezing. Maybe you had one of the models with the hardware defect Nokia had to admit after shipping the first devices.

as for "my emails would come in different and laughable fonts" - well, that's what they call HTML email. the fonts depend on which one the sender selected and how well it could be matched to an installed font. i really had to check now which fonts i see in my inbox - there's nothing special about them. what would you expect?
Don't waste your precious fingers for him any longer. He obviously hasn't used Symbian and is just spewing utter crap on something he read on Engadget or Gizmodo.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
patlak, benny: the proof is in the pudding. Look at n900. It didn't get the traction necessary to sustain itself.

While I don't think UI is the problem for n900 (well, a bit of consistency issue here and there, lack of v-sync, etc); it's certainly lacking some of the hooks to make it a crowd favorite.

We're a niche. We need to bootstrap ourselves to a bigger audience. Or at the very least, understand what would make or break a 'smartphone' on the current market.

*ok ok, mobile computer.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
patlak, benny: the proof is in the pudding. Look at n900. It didn't get the traction necessary to sustain itself.

While I don't think UI is the problem for n900 (well, a bit of consistency issue here and there, lack of v-sync, etc); it's certainly lacking some of the hooks to make it a crowd favorite.

We're a niche. We need to bootstrap ourselves to a bigger audience. Or at the very least, understand what would make or break a 'smartphone' on the current market.

*ok ok, mobile computer.
N900 was promoted as a beta phone and was a test for future Nokia plans. 4 updates and yet v-sync isn't fixed, what more could you expect. However, this are minor issues and can be fixed for another Maemo5 device release rather than adopt WP7. Which is more costly and efficient? Which is a better OS? Will Nokia depend on anyone if they went the cheaper route? Maemo5 has a simpler UI than WP7 and could have been mainstream.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
N900 was promoted as a beta phone and was a test for future Nokia plans. 4 updates and yet v-sync isn't fixed, what more could you expect. However, this are minor issues and can be fixed for another Maemo5 device release rather than adopt WP7. Which is more costly and efficient? Which is a better OS? Will Nokia depend on anyone if they went the cheaper route? Maemo5 has a simpler UI than WP7 and could have been mainstream.
Ok.

But I don't believe I've ever seen any of their promotion mentioning the n900 as a 'beta phone'.

Btw, the one thing that I agree with Elop is that now the 'smartphone' battle is a battle of ecosystem. maemo & MeeGo is still lacking that, in the way the mass consumer requires them.

(Ok, he didn't say 'battle of ecosystems', but he did underlined the importance of ecosystems)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
But seriously, Is it possible that Elop could be somehow fired by the Nokia board and Nokia could go back to its original Qt strategy with Meego at the top and Symbian for the dumbphones? What would it take for this to happen?
cmon do you really think Elop is the only person who did decide they go WP7?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Ok.

But I don't believe I've ever seen any of their promotion mentioning the n900 as a 'beta phone'.

Btw, the one thing that I agree with Elop is that now the 'smartphone' battle is a battle of ecosystem. maemo & MeeGo is still lacking that, in the way the mass consumer requires them.

(Ok, he didn't say 'battle of ecosystems', but he did underlined the importance of ecosystems)
Maemo 5 as step 4 pf 5, N900 not unveiled at a popular event are signs of beta status.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Maemo 5 as step 4 pf 5, N900 not unveiled at a popular event are signs of beta status.
Oh, there were so many other 'signs' that the n900 was not a 'finished' product. But it was never 'promoted' as beta or unfinished (as you've claimed they have).

....and that may have invited the wrong crowd to sample the n900 and it may have left a bad taste to too many unintended audience (not to mention some that came to vent and voiced their frustrations in this forum, etc).

Moreover, I had the impression that the 'step 5' that was envisioned a few years before was still not competitive enough with the competitors' offerings.

It's a moving target, Nokia wasn't fast enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on May 2010 @ United Kingdom
Nokia were on step 4 but this message board is on step 3 of the 5 stages of grief.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bourdain For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining