Active Topics

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
@ericsson

Yes, because they don't know what they could get. But for those people you could also sell a Series40 to and put some rhinestones on it. It would have nearly the similar effekt.

Where is the bash shell on that Windows Phone 7?
When will it come?!

Originally Posted by John_Doe View Post
Ehh, isn't this one of the minor difficulties with Symbian, ie the kernel would have to be rewritten to be able to use multi-core CPUs? ....

I don't like what probably will be the fate of MeeGo but at the same time one has to be realistic, a MeeGo based phone would be more of an überphone than a phone for the joggingdresspeople and the joggingdresspeople are numerous and do buy a lot of phones, and wp7 is aimed at the joggingdresspeople ....
Nokia's strategy before Elop was to develop Meego to high end phones (multiple core CPU) and leave Symbian to low end phones.
It was never intended to bring multi-core-app-CPU support to Symbian.

Meego could be anything. The GUI part of the OS is what is important to "ordinary" people, I agree". WP7 has some things right in their GUI, so does Modrana. But it is easier to change the GUI than change underlying OS to support modern hardware, if it was designed to do so (WP7 vs Meego/Linux).

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by deyons View Post
I will sum up the capability's of WP7s multitasking and other software features.

WindowsPhone7=Huge Pile of S H I T
My gosh, I've never heard the argument against WP7 put so eloquently. My eyes are opened! Your arguments are astoundingly well thought out and convincing. Surely your intelligence FAR surpasses my own humble intellect.

Who could possibly hope to counter this masterpiece of an argument? No one, I think. Your logic is flawless and ironclad.

Socrates, Plato, and all the other philosophers and intelligent men throughout history would surely bow in respect to such a vast and powerful mind as your own, for only you are capable of such wondrously capable debate.

Microsoft will surely disband the moment your post graces its perception.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Where is the bash shell on that Windows Phone 7?
This question is the perfect example of the mindset of this community. WP7 isn't linux. Its not about whether it has the same features as linux, its that IT WORKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. There IS NO "filesystem" as it exists in linux. There is only isolated storage for each app. Bash is useless in this sort of environment, because it underlies a way of thinking about OS's that simply doesn't fit with the way WP7 works as an operating system.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
This question is the perfect example of the mindset of this community. WP7 isn't linux. Its not about whether it has the same features as linux, its that IT WORKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. There IS NO "filesystem" as it exists in linux. There is only isolated storage for each app. Bash is useless in this sort of environment, because it underlies a way of thinking about OS's that simply doesn't fit with the way WP7 works as an operating system.
WP7 also doesn't support many modern hardware- and GUI-requirements:
copy+paste, multi-core-app-CPUs, multitasking, ....should I go on?
Do you really think, they will get those fixed in few months?
Plan B is way much better than Plan A, if we remember the facts.

Yes, Elop has hundred of thousands Microsoft stocks, but the trick failed and MSFT didn't get their stock to bull because so many people just don't believe Microsoft Mobile strategy - they have failed 14 years so why trust them?

Good arguments. I was only addressing specifically the bash issue. There are certainly shortcomings that I don't think ever will get addressed related to the extendability of certain OS components that the n900 had, but I digress.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Do you really think, they will get those fixed in few months?
Yes. They're slated for release in a fall update. Link.

Thats probably when we'll see a MeeGo phone, which I will be exicted to read about.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
This question is the perfect example of the mindset of this community. WP7 isn't linux. Its not about whether it has the same features as linux, its that IT WORKS COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY.
Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot the sarcasm marks. Will add them the next time. But I had a bad weekend... you understand?

And for your background: I worked with the .NET Framework for about 2 years at work. And not at a Linux Desktop!

But I had now for about 14 Months a Device with Linux shell in my pocket... and it is my first Linux expirience, except a short time back 1998 with SUSE (or 1999? - I don't remember)... and after a Android Device, some Serie40 and some Symbian Devices there is NO WAY BACK!
I have already bought a second N900 at eBay. Just in case...

Yes. They're slated for release in a fall update. Link.
Doesn't say anything about multi-core support.
Just notice, all high end smart phones published in Barcelona MWC have double-core app-CPUs (with 1GB RAM). WP7 smart phone with single core CPU have no chance in the high end sector.

And WP7 doesn't even have apps. Android store have hundred of thousands applications.
Only Meego with Android VM could have a fighting chance.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Looks like nobody has pointed out yet that there is an article about Plan B in today's Wall Street Journal:

"A group of nine unnamed Nokia shareholders published a manifesto online Tuesday, dubbed Nokia Plan B, that sets out to counter the firm's management at Nokia's AGM scheduled May 3 in Helsinki. In addition to a call for the immediate dismissal of Elop, the group said they want Nokia to be in control of its own smart phone operating system, MeeGo to be its primary smart phone platform, to increase the lifespan of Symbian to a minimum of five years, and a restructuring of the Microsoft deal as a tactical strategy focused on North America.

Dow Jones couldn't immediately identify the authors, who stated they have all worked with Nokia in different capacities in the past.

Nokia said it is aware of the anonymous letter being published, but that it hasn't been directly contacted by its authors.

"Nokia's new strategy has full approval from the board of directors and the Nokia leadership team, and our focus now is on the execution of this new strategy," Nokia spokeswoman Mona Kopponen told Dow Jones.

However, in the wake of the purported challenge, other Nokia shareholders have voiced their qualified support for the company's new strategic direction."

More here, at "3rd UPDATE: Nokia Shareholders Divided On Strategy View"

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
WP7 is a 2-year-old who hasn't won its first maiden race yet but ...
... is lame from birth.

Tags
a hoax, alcalde babble, bla bla bla, micronokiasoft, nokia sux nuts, nokia=epic fail, plan(a-z), plan(t)