Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Madrid
I have the same problem with my USB port, so I went to a Nokia care point in my city to repair de phone with garanty. After two weeks, Nokia called me saying the next:

"Your phone had a well-knwo factory problem, and here in Spain, we can't fix it, so we send you a BRAND NEW PHONE"

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! xD

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
Repair was not an option either form Nokia of third parties. My N900 have a new USB port, but it is not working. I was told the board has been damaged. Oh well ....
Don't understand this WHY did Nokia not replace your device? third parties ? was it out of warranty ?. the USB fault is a design fault and they MUST replace or repair it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by bman View Post
for the people out of warranty would they still be able to get it fixed for free as its a common fault, and poorly manifactured???
doesnt nokia still have a duty to fix certain problems?
I would think so, but maybe someone knows more definitively. My warranty ended after one week, but I luckily haven't had this problem. I know of one hardware/Nokia expert who had the problem with two N900s in a row!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
A design fault is indefinite and will have been there from day one of manufacture so under this criteria manufacturers are obliged to replace with a design fault repair which means a NEW board or component at the least, however some manufacturers try to stick to the validity period of warranty and could state it is out of warranty.

This is a common derailment of facts and i have seen Nokia guilty of this but when they are politely told customer will go to trading standards they back down usually straight away.

I can tell you from my own personal experiance when inspecting goods under warranty EVERYTHING is checked and if there is any fault considered to be user damaged it will get thrown out under the warranty period hence why you often see the statement "will void warranty or guarantee) if opened or water damaged.

I have also dealt with the infamous Nokia complaint "this device has been water damaged", this is a tricky one to deal with and one customer will usually lose.

Some advice for everyone who owns electronic equipment especially is to make sure you have got "household accidental cover" insurance because when all else fails you can always fall back on this one and saves the day where you only pay the excess fee for a full replacement, this kind of insurance covers you where ever you may be in the world not just in the home, also this kind of insurance cover is always very cheap and can be paid monthly throughout the year and covers everything not just your mobile equipment.

IF you wish to repair your usb port then please realise this WILL invaldiate your device but having said that if it is done properly the usb port never detatches again.

Whatever Nokia care say to you regarding the USB port detachment fault please remind them of certain facts that (and Texrat confirmed this directly with Nokia) this is a DESIGN fault and is covered under warranty conditions because Nokia have stated it is a design fault, and insist it be dealt with.

The only reason i have seen the fault not to be repaired or replaced is when it is clear user has broken warranty conditions by other means.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Zealand
Wow very long thread. Has anyone got a guide on how to re attach this?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Mine broke on Tuesday - it's now on its way to Nokia Care UK via UPS..

My 14 month old N900 has recently taken a dislike to charging via the mains, but will charge by USB, and with an "old" style Nokia charger with a mini-USB adaptor on the end... would this suggest USB fail is imminent? I'm looking to upgrade soon anyway, but obviously it'd be nice to be able to sell on a brand-new N900....! (Incidentally - I've always had Nokias... 5110, 3310, 8310, 7250, 7610, N70, N95, N96, N900... and I'll be ditching them for now as there's nothing on the way that interests me )

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Another one bites the dust...

i now have to put a little pressue on the usb connector in order for it to stay connected... What should I do, go to carphone warehouse or direct to nokia uk?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
Another one bites the dust...

i now have to put a little pressue on the usb connector in order for it to stay connected... What should I do, go to carphone warehouse or direct to nokia uk?
Carphone Warehouse first as your warranty should be from them (as they sold you the phone in the first place). If you have major issues with them, then try with Nokia directly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
I have sent my broken N900 on February 25th and still didn't get a fixed or a replacement device, not even my broken old phone. I have been told that my warranty is out of date bla bla bla... gonna send my unrepaired phone bla... and the call we made was month ago.
Yeah Nokia Does Care!

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty