Active Topics

Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
sounds interesting- but someone would have to build usb-midi drivers for the n800 so that your desktop/laptop can recognize it as a midi device aswell as create a program to run on the n800 to trigger midi notes so that the n800 turns into a instrument. I bet someone who knows alot about MAX/MSP programming could play around with this.
why would a computer need to reconize midi from the n800? unless you're talking about it being a midi controller, which isn't a bad idea. But what I'm talking about would be like a portable software version of a Roland MV-8800, abilty to slice samples, transpose and use of synths. If at all possible VST/VSTi would be extra nice not to mention we could get more developers for it if needed.

MV-8800 turbo start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcK5Z7pcBik
MV-8800 at sam ash part 1 and 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ielcz...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv0Xz...elated&search=
Reason4 intro part1 and 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljr3hKv1Ap4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fn35...elated&search=
early beatphone demo (video is crappy, but you can still get the just of it. also the source is available): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0aMuVIrYg8
traxxpad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbQY_XbZ-g
sadly i cant find videos for psprhythm

http://code.google.com/p/beatphone/

could be done in python, right?

I could work out a GUI, easy

I'm not sure if I know what you guys mean but I have made a python / windows program that allows me to use the tablet as a wireless keyboard. If your software allows normal keyboard input then I could make a custom version for making music.

You can download it from my webpage, it's called TK-Board and the current version is 1.3

-Tom

Well, yea you could do that, but I'm talking about a music program on the n800 itself, not just a controller. Like those links I put up a few post before this one.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
The posts in this thread have not been very descriptive about desired features or the basic category of music software desired. Where Lion did get specific, the app mentioned was Cubase VST, which is, like, moonbat territory, man.

In the early days, the rough order of appearance of computer music software was:
  • Algorithmic/Scripted software synthesis (Csound et al)
  • Notation / Layout Software (Encore)
  • MIDI sequencers (Steinberg, Cakewalk)
  • Sound editors (Goldwave, Sound Forge)
  • Multitrack Recorders (Protools, Samplitude, SAW)
  • CD Mastering Software (Sonic Solutions)
  • GUI Software Synthesizers (VAZ, Generator, RetroAS1)
  • Software Samplers (Gigasampler, Mellosoftron)
  • Drum Machines (Drumstation)

In the mid to late 90s we began to see programs combine those categories:
  • Multitrack recorders + midi sequencers (Cubase, Logic)
  • Pattern-based groove boxes (Rubber Duck, Rebirth)
  • Loop-based composition tools (fruityloops, SF Acid)

After this stage, production suites appeared that combined all of the above functionality into one vast package (Cubase VST etc) .

In the open-source world, available music software is generally at 1994-1996 levels of commercial mac/windows software. Audacity for example, has just recently become usable for serious wave editing after seven years of development. So you've pretty much got an ice-cube's chance in hell of someone writing something like Cubase VST just for the internet tablets.

The past of least resistance to getting some sound/music software on the tablet would be to
  1. identify what category of app you want
  2. find a linux app that does what you want
  3. find someone to port it to the Internet Tablet OS

A linux app that's a good candidate for the tablets must firstly work within the hardware constraints (800x480 screen, pentium-2 level cpu, 64 to 128MB RAM and very slow flash read/write speed. Secondly, the user-interface should preferably be GTK 2.0-based and the sound backend alsa or esd.

Somewhat frustrated by the vagueness of this thread, I just spent a few hours casting about to see what's available within those contstraints. I compiled freebirth (a Rebirth clone) for ITOS, but the UI won't fit in 800x480 and the core needs an alsa/esd backend instead of a fifo to /dev/dsp. It does however compile to a small size and could be a nice pattern-based groove machine. The basic sample playback/mixer engine is there and takes up little cpu time. To be a useful pattern-based tool, it needs to get multi-pattern sequencing, variable bar lengths, a virtual keyboard, completely reworked UI, a few more effects and some sample looping/ADSR controls.

Even if you're not a developer, there is a lot you can do to contribute to bringing music software to the tablets. This thread can be a discussion of what (precisely) you'd like to have. It can be a place to post and discuss potential linux software to be ported. You can even use your photoshop/gimp skills to suggest and discuss user-interface ideas for your dream tablet music app.

Lets engage those 'little grey cells' and get the ball rolling...

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-11-13 at 04:21. Reason: typos, corrections

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
The posts in this thread have not been very descriptive about desired features or the basic category of music software desired. Where Lion did get specific, the app mentioned was Cubase VST, which is, like, moonbat territory, man.

In the early days, the rough order of appearance of computer music software was:
  • Algorithmic/Scripted software synthesis (Csound et al)
  • Notation / Layout Software (Encore)
  • MIDI sequencers (Steinberg, Cakewalk)
  • Sound editors (Goldwave, Sound Forge)
  • Multitrack Recorders (Protools, Samplitude, SAW)
  • CD Mastering Software (Sonic Solutions)
  • GUI Software Synthesizers (VAZ, Generator, RetroAS1)
  • Software Samplers (Gigasampler, Mellosoftron)
  • Drum Machines (Drumstation)

In the mid to late 90s we began to see programs combine those categories:
  • Multitrack recorders + midi sequencers (Cubase, Logic)
  • Pattern-based groove boxes (Rubber Duck, Rebirth)
  • Loop-based composition tools (fruityloops, SF Acid)

After this stage, production suites appeared that combined all of the above functionality into one vast package (Cubase VST etc) .

In the open-source world, available music software is generally at 1994-1996 levels of commercial mac/windows software. Audacity for example, has just recently become usable for serious wave editing after seven years of development. So you've pretty much got an ice-cube's chance in hell of someone writing something like Cubase VST just for the internet tablets.

The past of least resistance to getting some sound/music software on the tablet would be to
  1. identify what category of app you want
  2. find a linux app that does what you want
  3. find someone to port it to the Internet Tablet OS

A linux app that's a good candidate for the tablets must firstly work within the hardware constraints (800x480 screen, pentium-2 level cpu, 64 to 128MB RAM and very slow flash read/write speed. Secondly, the user-interface should preferably be GTK 2.0-based and the sound backend alsa or esd.

Somewhat frustrated by the vagueness of this thread, I just spent a few hours casting about to see what's available within those contstraints. I compiled freebirth (a Rebirth clone) for ITOS, but the UI won't fit in 800x480 and the core needs an alsa/esd backend instead of a fifo to /dev/dsp. It does however compile to a small size and could be a nice pattern-based groove machine. The basic sample playback/mixer engine is there and takes up little cpu time. To be a useful pattern-based tool, it needs to get multi-pattern sequencing, variable bar lengths, a virtual keyboard, completely reworked UI, a few more effects and some sample looping/ADSR controls.

Even if you're not a developer, there is a lot you can do to contribute to bringing music software to the tablets. This thread can be a discussion of what (precisely) you'd like to have. It can be a place to post and discuss potential linux software to be ported. You can even use your photoshop/gimp skills to suggest and discuss user-interface ideas for your dream tablet music app.

Lets engage those 'little grey cells' and get the ball rolling...
I got ya, I'll get on that. Been trying to think of how I could create a flash mock-up, of at least the piano, drumpads, and matrix.

I'd love to see some synths working on the tablet, I'll probably take a shot at porting a few at some point.

Tried a few Palm based synths in the new emulator, but none of them worked

Has anyone tried any flash based synths? not ideal of course, but there might be a few that run reasonably well.

Hope to use my USB > MIDI adapter in the future, to control and sequence some of my hardware MIDI synths, and save patches with a SysEx librarian.

Last edited by dblank; 2007-11-16 at 23:08.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
I compiled freebirth (a Rebirth clone) for ITOS, but the UI won't fit in 800x480 and the core needs an alsa/esd backend instead of a fifo to /dev/dsp.
How'd you get it running? I managed to compile after tweaking, but I'm stuck trying to run: "Unable to open audio device."

I tried using esddsp but it didn't help.

Have a couple gui screeens. Will post later.