Active Topics

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by pali View Post
As I wrote I did not know how multiboot working. I think it is simple to add new multiboot entry for other kernel (bootable/flashable image is in my -bootimg deb package). Ask for this in multiboot thread.
Could you possibly make a package with entry for multiboot? some kind of "reference" package is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?t3mdemq1hj7v5ur (got it from NITDroid Wiki entry, file name inside this rar: "multiboot-kernel-maemo_0.3-1_armel.deb".

If you want to replace kernel-power, you should also consider creating a package that replaces package "multiboot-kernel-power" with contents:
/boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10pali1 - your zImage file, but it has to have the same name as folder in /lib/modules
/etc/multiboot.d/01-Maemo-kernel-power46.item - multiboot menu entry, same as in my post here on page 8 of this thread
/usr/share/doc/multiboot-kernel-power/copyright (see this file in multiboot-kernel-power_0.3-1_armel.deb for reference)
/usr/share/doc/multiboot-kernel-power/changelog.Debian.gz (see this file in multiboot-kernel-power_0.3-1_armel.deb for reference)

And basically that's all to have a package for your kernel working with multiboot. Than, if one wants to install your kernel and use it with multiboot - just install kernel package, modules package, flasher package and than yours multiboot-kernel-power package

Last edited by misiak; 2011-04-19 at 23:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
-_-
I see you clicked "Thanks!" under my post on page 8 - did my instructions work for you? If yes - maybe pali should link my post in his first post, as this may be common problem?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I thought the only thing needed from power kernel was that it be compiled with the cfg80211 (or whatever it's called) module, to be compatible with Lxp's stuff? The rest of the bleeding edge fanciness is just manually loading the right modules, no? Or is there something to do with compat or whatever that the injection driver requires?

I.E. See this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=41

Other than that, keep up the great work. If I could, I'd help with integrating the bleeding edge wifi patches into your kernel version, but it's way outside my skills.

The moment you do though, I'm jumping on to this kernel. Not willing to give up injection just yet, but framebuffer is always better than no framebuffer. For those who have gotten to a framebuffer console mid-boot, does the keyboard actually provide you with right buttons.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I installed this, following Erazor's post, around page 7. Looks good.

Sometimes my LCD lights up red, lower left side of phone -- never saw that before. The savecpu program says actual temperature is 0, obviously wrong. All seems fine, in general.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
@ Pali, so basically it is Power-kernelv46 with a few bug fixes. very well done. any future plans (patches etc) on this project?

Last edited by niqbal; 2011-04-20 at 08:01.

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
I see you clicked "Thanks!" under my post on page 8 - did my instructions work for you? If yes - maybe pali should link my post in his first post, as this may be common problem?
I didn't try it, I don't have multiboot/don't care. But I am really happy to see people writing noob guides. Consider adding this to the wiki or somthing.

You only have like 15 posts and already you have contributed more than most of the 500+ post spam/whinge/noobs.

This makes you a good person in need of 'thanks!' buttoning.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Could you possibly make a package with entry for multiboot?
I can try, but I cannnot test. So If I publish package you must test it and write if works...

/boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10pali1 - your zImage file
That is bad! vmlinuz image format is not same as zImage format! And I do not like this stupid hacks with renaming files. (But this is maybe bootmenu bug/feature). If this will be solved I can provide config files for multiboot in -bootimg deb package.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I thought the only thing needed from power kernel was that it be compiled with the cfg80211 (or whatever it's called) module, to be compatible with Lxp's stuff? The rest of the bleeding edge fanciness is just manually loading the right modules, no? Or is there something to do with compat or whatever that the injection driver requires?
In v46 was cfg80211 staticly linked into kernel image. wifi patches from wireless-testing needs new version of cfg80211 and it is not possible to replace staticly linked modules into kernel (when is running). So in my build is cfg80211 external module, which can be loaded/unloaded (and so replaced by new version too).

Next is needed to automatize building patched wifi driver (running with dpkg-buildpackage) for creating deb package (or include it in power-kernel deb package).

I contacted author of wl1251 patches. Now we are deciding how to distribute wifi module...

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The savecpu program says actual temperature is 0, obviously wrong. All seems fine, in general.
I think that all temperature values have now fixed units (as written in kernel doc), so it may be bug in this program. Find out how this program reading temperature (or contact author of this program, maybe he would know where is problem).

Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
@ Pali, so basically it is Power-kernelv46 with a few bug fixes. very well done. any future plans (patches etc) on this project?
Include wl1251 patches. And include patches from users/developers (If they fix bug/report somethink). And also compile other usb host device drivers (if somebody will need).

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
I didn't try it, I don't have multiboot/don't care. But I am really happy to see people writing noob guides. Consider adding this to the wiki or somthing.
Maybe I won't have to, when we will have working package multiboot-power-kernel with this patched kernel

You only have like 15 posts and already you have contributed more than most of the 500+ post spam/whinge/noobs.

This makes you a good person in need of 'thanks!' buttoning.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by pali View Post
That is bad! vmlinuz image format is not same as zImage format! And I do not like this stupid hacks with renaming files. (But this is maybe bootmenu bug/feature). If this will be solved I can provide config files for multiboot in -bootimg deb package.
When using multiboot, when boot with keyboard open, it displays menu. Then, after selecting item, it makes a flash of selected kernel into kernel area( source: http://forums.internettablettalk.com...4&postcount=10 - Stskeeps is "Official maintainer of the MeeGo Nokia N900 hardware adaptation" as does his signature say, so I guess he's reliable ), phone looks like it reboots (black screen for a second, then Nokia logo like on power on) and it loads the system like there was no multiboot. And in package multiboot-kernel-power nad kernel-power the hashes of kernels (zImage and vmlinuz) are the same, so I guess this is just a naming convention. And, when replacing the vmlinuz image of old kernel-power with your kernel, it just works. If you could do that package, I will test and report you how it works

When using multiboot, when boot with keyboard open, it displays menu. Then, after selecting item, it makes a flash of selected kernel into kernel area( source: http://forums.internettablettalk.com...4&postcount=10 - Stskeeps is "Official maintainer of the MeeGo Nokia N900 hardware adaptation" as does his signature say, so I guess he's reliable ), phone looks like it reboots (black screen for a second, then Nokia logo like on power on) and it loads the system like there was no multiboot. And in package multiboot-kernel-power nad kernel-power the hashes of kernels (zImage and vmlinuz) are the same, so I guess this is just a naming convention. And, when replacing the vmlinuz image of old kernel-power with your kernel, it just works. If you could do that package, I will test and report you how it works
Yes, but it is bad to tell that this is vmlinuz if in fact it is zImage. (As I wrote I do not like some stupid hacks this type). Why multiboot does not work if file has normal zImage name??

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
misiak, I was trying the same method earlier, the same way u mentioned in the noob guide but to no avail. I cannot get 2.6.68.10pali1 to boot. I can boot only to Maemo PR1.3 and NIITDroid Vostok.

When selecting option to power kernel, the N900 does not seems to flash the kernel area with the power kernel and it just gets stuck in a black blank screen..
I really needs power kernel for hostmode and many other features..
The /lib/modules, /boot/multiboot and /etc/multiboot.d seems fine with same reference to kernel.

I do not know where i am doing wrong :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to leojab For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery-status, bq27x00_battery, kernel, kernel-power, misiak4king, noobs-cant-read, pali4president, patches, readdirections, revolverspinyou