Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
lol, PR 1.3 deleted my settings xd hahaha thnx im taking it back !

Originally Posted by robbie View Post
But if you haven't learnt anything about the bad things of the closed iPhone and the good things about open standards, keep hoping that they release an app so that they can lock you in.
uhhu i hope it too.. i hope that they will release one so that i will be locked with my FRIENDS.

lol

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Texas
Is it me or does Whatsapp work by sharing you entire phone book with an unknown third party?

Originally Posted by siperkin View Post
Is it me or does Whatsapp work by sharing you entire phone book with an unknown third party?
If you are on the internet then you are already shared.

Anyone got an update? Where to download whatsapp for n900 with meamo?

I'm using my nokia n82 cuz my n900 doesn't support whatsapp... too bad whatsapp wont work with maemo..

yeehh, but forget it.. we have 2 wait for nitdroid.. its our only chance.. nitdroid can receive text sms messages but cant send it.. and youll need 2 send a sms to install the whatsapp application.. so we have 2 wait..

I don't understand the hype, using other open options looks more useful.

Somewhat off topic;
Did not follow the news, but I understand that free internet is history in the Netherlands. We have to pay lots of money again for our data traffic in the near future.
So any feature that stays online only increases our bills.
You can ask the question who pays the salaries of those people who make us want to be online all the time.

On topic again;
Nevertheless I am not the only one using a n900.
The kids and wife of a friend (his employer gave him the n900 to use at work) use whatsapp all the time. He would like the app on the n900.

So I’m sending an e-mail, hoping the n900 stays in their minds.

If this works its probably not impotant anyways :
http://www.thehandheldblog.com/2011/...s-meego-maemo/

Last edited by Gucky66; 2011-02-10 at 07:33.

Got my anwser: :

Van: acton.whatsapp@gmail.com namens Brian Acton (support@whatsapp.com)
Verzonden: donderdag 10 februari 2011 21:18:43
Aan: gucky66

We may port to QT at some point in the future. However, we will never test or support maemo based devices. It is unlikely that even with a port that our app will work for you.

I hope this clarifies,

We will see

The Following User Says Thank You to Gucky66 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Guess our definition of push is a bit different.
With whatsapp, you do not need to be connected to 3G data connection all the time. It basically sends an sms to your mobile number when new message is received. Then you connect to the whatsapp sever via 3G data to retrieve the mesage. With gtalk, you need to be logged in or you won't get the message.
So to me, it's not really a push.
With most carriers your IP address changes when you change base station (like leaving the city). For push to work it's imperative that the server knows your address to send you something.

On a circuit switched network, they just need to know your phone number like you explain. This, however, leads to very high costs as every reactivation takes a text/SMS message from the server to your phone and there's no way that'll ever work for free (unless they are Google or something).

On a packet switched network, this means updating your IP address in the server's records every time it changes. With protocols like MSN this can be quite intensive and requires a lot of processor/battery power.
On my N900 I've got SIP (landline) and Jabber (Gtalk) logged in since forever and can't really be bothered by the additional consumption (battery still lasts 2 days).

Also the delivery of SMS messages can be delayed for quite some time (24+ hrs.), depending on the mood of your network that day, so calling it live is definitely an overstatement.

T-Mo NL now automatically reverts to UMTS instead of HSDPA when idle, while still allowing unrequested data to be received on the same IP address. This saves a lot of energy consumption and doesn't break this 'push' behaviour.

I wouldn't count on having a native Whatsapplication on your phone, maybe you can find a J2ME application but in my experience, it probably won't work with Microemulator or alike.

I'd look for server gateways converting the protocol to Jabber/XMPP or something, like the Skype to SIP gateways or RIM's SMTP to IMAP push gateway. Although the free ones are usually very unreliable and tend to disappear after some time.

Converting your friends to use Jabber is probably the best thing you can do for them, there are always XMPP applications for any platform, even without GTalk.

http://www.google.com/search?q=jabber+iphone+push
http://www.google.com/search?q=jabber+android
http://www.google.com/search?q=google+talk+blackberry

PS. Same story as with Palringo.

Tags
stupid hack