Notices

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Well using it isn't helpful since I'm not in TX. I'm in MD like you. =P
So then its not finding your position "to the street"?

What about the Location settings for the phone itself? Is GPS all active?

Yup, GPS is active. I've even tried using Fennec when I have Nokia Maps on. It keeps throwing me to Texas. =(

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Yup, GPS is active. I've even tried using Fennec when I have Nokia Maps on. It keeps throwing me to Texas. =(
That's not right.

I don't know...maybe check your location settings for "Google"? Maybe try to reset that...and/or uninstall that first "location" app?

I've uninstalled geolocation, and I even uninstalled Fennec. No such luck, off to consult Google for this issue. Maybe somebody else has this issue.

It's not just Google. It's Flickr, any site that can find your location. Even Near Me. It's... odd.

Can anyone confirm if Fennec even uses the N900's GPS at all? For those of you getting an accurate address are you on WiFi or a cellular data plan?

Edit: By default, Firefox uses Google Location Services to determine your location by sending:
* your computer’s IP address,
* information about the nearby wireless access points, and
* a random client identifier, which is assigned by Google, that expires every 2 weeks.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-02 at 05:04.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by svanheulen View Post
Also, I see firmware 2.2009.51-1 mentioned a few times in this thread... how do I get that?
It's a limited release made available to those active in bugzilla.maemo.org - not for wider distribution. See PR1.1 thread.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-01-02 at 13:29.

a question for the people who tried the beta is it ok for a noob like me to try it or does it have alot of problems?

So more info.

Seems it only reports me in Texas if I use my home Verizon DSL. At my girlfriend's apartment this weekend I used her Verizon FIOS connection and it correctly put me in MD (not exactly same street but same city).

Oddly when using it on TMobile Internet it doesn't seem to work at all.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
just downloaded firefox from firefox.com/m in my n810 and loving to have kinetic scrolling and double tap to zoom(discovered so far ). It takes a little longer than inbuilt browser but reasonable with all those extra features in it. However, though javascript is enabled (according to settings) webpages still says "javascript must be enabled ....." and can't play flash. Am I missing something here? Thanks

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Seems it only reports me in Texas if I use my home Verizon DSL. At my girlfriend's apartment this weekend I used her Verizon FIOS connection and it correctly put me in MD (not exactly same street but same city).

Oddly when using it on TMobile Internet it doesn't seem to work at all.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7057

Try changing the suplicant server to google's and see if it fixes it? At least that would confirm one of the causes.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

I'll go ahead and try but the GPS works normally (with applications that use the GPS in the default browser (with the geolocation add-on like maemaps) and Ovi Maps work fine. Digital camera tagging works fine so it's not the fix acquiring that I'm having problems with. Unless Fennec uses solely that information and nothing about the GPS at all (that tidbit I read about geolocation seems to say Google estimates it based on your wireless router's position).

Edit: Tried it, it made no difference. WiFi (Verizon DSL) still reports Texas. Switching to TMobile internet results it it not being able to find your location (just keeps going and going).

How dissapointing. This was one of the things I was looking forward to Fennec. Hopefully it's just an odd bug that will be fixed in a final release.

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-04 at 04:15.

Tags
firefox, firefox rc1 sucks, stop making junk tags