Active Topics

Notices

great app, thanks qwerty12!!! 5 stars rating for this thread!!! Thanks for an awesome app!!!

This saved my bacon!

I was in Midway Airport in Chicago yesterday with a full 5 bars of signal strength. However, due to so many people on their T-Mobile phones, I couldn't get a call or SMS out. The node was maxxed out in capacity.

However, all those people were using 3G. I switched to 2G mode and had no problems making calls and sending/receiving text messages! Thanks! Where do I send the donation?

[Tech note: a cellular node (NodeB) has a certain amount of bandwidth allocated to each 2G, 3G and data. There are also limits on the number of simultaneous connections they can handle. Beyond that, you may get full strength, but will get constant "connection failed" messages because you can't get an open slot. Since all new 3G phones default to 3G, there is often a number of open slots available on that node in 2G that the unwashed masses don't know about. It is great when you just need to talk.]

Charles (the ALU ATM tech)

The Following User Says Thank You to chill633 For This Useful Post:
I can't seem to get this application to show on the official PR1.2. Anyone else notice this problem.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Evry, France
It doesn't work here either!

It works perfect by me on PR1.2.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Evry, France
You get the same functionality if you go to Settings > Phone > Network btw.

who wants to do that when you got this wonderful app.

Is there any option that we see this applet as a widget in the desktop??

Originally Posted by petrelli View Post
Is there any option that we see this applet as a widget in the desktop??
No.

But you can do something similar if you use desktop command widget or queen beecon widget.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks qwerty12 for this applet.

A couple of suggestions:
  • Can you rename the thread title to more closely match the app title, i.e. "3G/2G/Dual Mode Selection Applet"? I was trying to search for this thread using the word "Dual" in titles only, which of course didn't work!
  • Currently the app is in the Desktop category in maemo.org/downloads and in Application Manager. I think it would be better in Network. What do you think?