Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Symbian Foundation closing means nothing, Not the End of Symbian. Theres rumors Nokia are Taking it Back in house
Nokia Takes Over Symbian Development

I'm sure Nokia are delighted to receive the EU taxpayer's donation.

Is this a sign of things to come from Nokia's new management?

Who needs opensource when we can just license everything instead.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-11-09 at 14:32.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
only half the money quoted came from EU fund and less than 2 million was going to the Symbian foundation. rest of the money was going to members of the SYMBOSE movement for research.
get facts correct before spouting crap

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
As with most EU initiatives this sounds like a monumental waste of time and a Eurocrat's justification to continually bloat the EU at our expense.

In fact if you read this: The ARTEMIS Embedded Computing Systems Initiative - it says absolutely nothing.

Also, this Symbian blog - says nothing too.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Symbian 3 is awesome, and high end enough In my limited experience with iphone4 and certain android versions (froyo and gingerbread), though Im no tech-head by far.

It keeps updating ****, though some did take a minimal time to find.

The delay of the january update kind of makes me nervous its going to be a horrible ride after all.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by slai View Post
Symbian 3 is awesome, and high end enough In my limited experience with iphone4 and certain android versions (froyo and gingerbread), though Im no tech-head by far.

It keeps updating ****, though some did take a minimal time to find.

The delay of the january update kind of makes me nervous its going to be a horrible ride after all.
OMG! Is someone is this forum saying Symbian is good :-O I am infact impressed most of the post in this forum is about Nokia is doomed and should go Android blablabla

But about the update: Do you know if the plan is to use qt-components UI on those phones too (N8/E7/C7)? Its seems there is a hell of symbian development ongoing on qt-components soo my guess is you will get it someday atleast as some extra libs or soo..

http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-component...commits/master

My plan is too buy E7 if they dont get the freaking Meego out soon :-D

I need a new toy Even if symbian never can replace Maemo/Meego

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
they are a few of us around. I bought the daughter an n8 and it's a great phone, and at this time would be my second choice after my N900.

Mind you the wife has got a n97, and i still think that's half decent actually, and certainly would have it over a jesusphone or an android device. I may be slightly mad though

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Last edited by gazza_d; 2011-02-02 at 19:07.

Yep shock, we have three N8's in the family and all enjoying. The new Nokia feed Reader is a lovely bit of Qt goodness using the new notifications API as well as slick animated listviews.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2011/...ta-for-symbian

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Dont really know, Mike, but Im looking forward to the improved browser, UI changes and portrait qwerty (swype is pretty awesome), let alone the big february update, and of course the famed "later this year" BIG update.

Tags
jackass is back, jackass++