Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
still seem silly?
I am just happy that the specs were revealed, and most important was the OH interface.
But this changes nothing, I still think Jolla is wonderful

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
Maybe it was a mistake to set this pricepoint, n900 & n9 sold for much more initially, and people bought them.
Yeah, but Nokia was well established and respected by then... these guys are new.

Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
OTOH, they shurely know the market better than we do.
Oh, and one more thing, don't call me Shirley. Sorry, I had to do it :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
I think people talk about specs so much because many were looking for a replacement/an option for the(ir) current flagship phones. Jolla's message from the start has been more or less that "the specs don't matter". The specs led to disappointment of many people who really wanted to replace their flagship, that's too bad, but I don't think Jolla was ever aiming their first phone to be high-end. What people Jolla appeals the most I think is the people who prefer good OS over top hardware any day. The transition from other ecosystem(s) (=Android) has been made as easy as possible, now only thing that's left is the hw.

Here's hoping Jolla will be succesful enough to introduce a true flagship to appeal to those who find SailfishOS isn't yet enough to move to Jolla from their current hw setups.

PS: I've heard from somewhere it's considerably easier to move to HD from qHD than from 720p res

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-09-21 at 12:25. Reason: Android

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
The specs led to disappointment of many people who really wanted to replace their flagship, that's too bad, but I don't think Jolla was ever aiming their first phone to be high-end.
i got the message that it would be high-end, and i was fine with that.

i also got the message that it would have a "HD" screen, but when they said "HD" what they really meant was one quarter of HD, but that's okay because qHD still has the letters "H" and "D" in the title!

there are two commonly understood HD resolutions:

HD (1280x720)
Full HD (1920x1080)

this was neither.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes, Is def not Premium as they said earlier. But at least they managed to get a phone together. don't worry be happy.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-09-21 at 15:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
i got the message ...

this was neither.
They never said it's gonna be HD. They said it's will be a HD like screen. And just because you have never heard of qHD doesn't make it obsolete. There is also nHD by the way....

They also never said the device will be high end.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
i got the message that it would be high-end, and i was fine with that.

i also got the message that it would have a "HD" screen, but when they said "HD" what they really meant was one quarter of HD, but that's okay because qHD still has the letters "H" and "D" in the title!

there are two commonly understood HD resolutions:

HD (1280x720)
Full HD (1920x1080)

this was neither.
Yes, they said the screen would be a kind of HD. I got the impression that it'll be one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphi...igh-Definition. I do realize the potential misdirection in their statement. Personally I think they made a mistake in that regard and should be more careful in their communication from now on.

EDIT: That wiki page also mentioned that HD is sometimes also referred as 720p, so the one who said it's easier to move to HD from qHD than from 720p res was probably talking bull...

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-09-21 at 16:33.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It is indeed easier to move up to any resolution that is a direct multiple of your current one. That's the reason apple went for exact duplicate in both dimensions (aka quad number of px) of their original resolution when going retina. Scaling things by 2 at the pixel level produces imagery that looks exactly like it looked before, (i.e. in apple's case, non-retina, but not worst).

Scaling by 1.5 (1080/720) is really hard, and you can witness that on old lcd screens with crappy scaling algorithms: when you set any resolution not a direct divisor (that's the right word?) all the text looks crap (http://play.qwazix.com/scaling/tmo-scaling.png) <- warning, huge image.

If you want to see what happens at the pixel level here it is http://play.qwazix.com/scaling/scaling.png

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-09-21 at 22:29.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
They never said it's gonna be HD. They said it's will be a HD like screen. And just because you have never heard of qHD doesn't make it obsolete. There is also nHD by the way....

They also never said the device will be high end.
that is sophistry. nothing more.

of course i've heard of qHD, and it is nothing 'like' HD in the same way that FWVGA is nothing like HD!

we didn't consider the N9 to be "HD", now did we?

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2013-09-21 at 17:58.

All your ranting and grumbling won't change the display suddenly in a 720p one. Get over it or just don't buy it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:

Tags
device, jolla, jolla phone, pre-order