Active Topics

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
I read and I loled. Go get the iPhone. You obviously don't understand the N900 not one bit. I feel sorry for you. Really funny how you list all the good things, but then your conclusion is "garbage"..haha..and more thing, technically the N900 is better then the iPhone in every way, fact. The iPhone is NOT a smartphone.

Last edited by Jack6428; 2009-11-24 at 20:42.

Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Exactly.

To answer other questions I am not a troll. The review I posted is the what the average consumer will say. Who cares if it can run Open Office it can't scroll smoothly in the damn browser? It's called user experience and Nokia should look it up.

Clearly this device is made by geeks for other geeks but this has little relevance in the market. If you want to sell a phone/tablet/whatever the hell it is get ready to be compared to....the iPhone. The iPhone doesn't do many things because a lot of them simply aren't feasible on a mobile platform with little processing power and a very limited battery. However, everything else it does is basically perfect/almost perfect.

I love how Nokia keeps trying to avoid comparisons because they know there is none...No, this is a mobile tablet with phone functionality. WTF does that mean? You mean it's a smartphone like every other phone out there but you don't want it compared. They tried to pull the same BS with their N series mobile computer stuff.

Also, the point of this all is that all of us should start demanding better software from them. If they can't do it then get out and let somebody else try it. Attitudes such as "it's only step 4 out of 5, it's a tablet not a phone, it just came out" etc. is exactly what they strive on. They need to understand that they do not set any benchmarks anymore but the market does.

Last time I checked Android is up to version 2 and it already kicks all sorts of ***. How come Maemo 5 is finding all sorts of excuses for missing functionality, crappy scrolling and poor user experience?
so scrolling is not smooth in maemo 5?. Why oh why is Nokia struggling with a basic feature like Kinetic scrolling ? They still havent added this to the 5800 and the n97 implementation is quite mediocre. It seems they have very average UI developers and average wont cut it when competing with UI whizzes at Apple and HTC.

If I find this to be the case, then I may send back to Nokia and get a moto milestone. The n810 is good enough for me - I paid only £120 so I expect more from n900 at almost 4 times tht price.

Nokia, wake up !

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Seems like I made the right choice waiting cause:
2) No sync and older apps won't work? So GPE suite is out of the question. Ermining out.
at least yesterday there was a pile of gpe-software in extras-testing...

e:what's wrong with scrolling? i havent got any complaints.

i am falling in love more and more to my n900, will sell it if somebody pays 6000€....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2009-11-24 at 20:43.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Seems like I made the right choice waiting cause:
1) No ATT 3G
2) No sync and older apps won't work? So GPE suite is out of the question. Ermining out.
3) No MaemoMapper <--- absolute dealbreaker.

So I'll be waiting for a price drop and/or GPE and Maemomapper ports or equivalents but if someone has an 810 they'll part with for a decent price...well..a low price..I'll probably bite that to get the keyboard.
Err..

2) Don't know about the older applications not working. It seems dependent on what's missing in Maemo 5 compared to Maemo 4 since some things were removed.

3) There is MaemoMapper coming for Maemo 5... Gnuite may not be working on it anymore (consider he works for Google now) but there are other developers working on it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by franklinn View Post
so scrolling is not smooth in maemo 5?. Why oh why is Nokia struggling with a basic feature like Kinetic scrolling ? They still havent added this to the 5800 and the n97 implementation is quite mediocre. It seems they have very average UI developers and average wont cut it when competing with UI whizzes at Apple and HTC.

If I find this to be the case, then I may send back to Nokia and get a moto milestone. The n810 is good enough for me - I paid only £120 so I expect more from n900 at almost 4 times tht price.

Nokia, wake up !
Nobody else has reported slow scrolling - in fact quite the opposite - dont take the ramblings of a disgruntled single user as fact.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
I will drop a few words in:

I have been a regular visitor of these forums for a few years (since I purchased my N800) and I agree that the crew here can get pretty deffensive when in presence of negative comments about Nokia stuff (justified or not). Then you have the common "search the forums" answer when a newbie asks something. The problem with this is that the search algorithm (IMO) is not great, every time I look for something it takes several attempts and there is no gurantee that you will be presented the "best" solution on top. With that said, and 10 pages of comments later, the originator of this thread hasn't provided proof of the chopiness he is complaining about. And I agree that he should have expressed himself in a different way (was cursing really necessary?). To give him the benefit of the doubt, he is probably upset with his purchase and was just venting.

I do not own a N900 .. preordered on Amazon and later cancelled it. In case you are wondering why, the lack of 3G support on AT&T did it for me (specs on Amazon were wrong at first). I'm a happy Blackberry user but still trapped with EDGE data rates. Why would Nokia not include the AT&T 3G frequency? Switching carriers is not an option for me because I have a company-owned line.

This post turned out longer than I expected, but after reading the 10 pages of comments I felt tempted to say something. I find the Canola team to be a good example of how to react to criticism (good or bad). No Canola for N900??????? Well, another reason not to buy it ... YET.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Megacrazy, maybe you have a faulty device or maybe you're right about everything you said, but opening a thread with this name is very immature. There is already a thread for owners opinions, why do you think that your opinion is super important? Should we all open a thread when we get our devices? I respect your opinion, but i don't get it - why do you need to yell so hard and try to tell the whole world how you are unhappy with this device. Do you think this kind of attitude helps someone? I think you're only gonna confuse somebody. "it sucks, but i'll enjoy it"
Enjoy it then.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Can Apple, Samsung, and Android boot into Debian? Can they run KDE? What about Open Office?
Yh Android does and it did so long before the N900. The T-Mobile G1 (and e.g. HTC Hero) run FULL Debian. Yes, they also support native X11, so you can run KDE, LXDE, IceWM whatever you want. So what your point again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8yBH...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjNhG...layer_embedded

Even better: it's a 1-click install for G1 owners.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529233
http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.ph...e=Debian_on_G1
http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/co...9&id=1620#1620

So yh u get the best of both worlds: Android and full Debian on 1 device. When u need it u got full Debian in the palm of ur hand, when when u're finished u just switch back to a very nice smartphone OS. There's no emulation whatsoever and u don't need to wipe Android. Just slap the Debian ARM image onto a SD card, download an App from Market and you're set to go.

Sure there's smartphone office apps but not a true office program. Granted you may not want to use those things but those are the capabilities that Maemo provides. If someone provides a mobile office program on Maemo then you can run that and OpenOffice then. Is that something any of those manufacturers can do? Hence why I say the n900 is more tablet than phone. Also why I say if your looking for a smartphone your on the wrong platform right now. That won't be till the next step at the very least.
Windows Mobile 6.5/7 basically have quite good Office support. And basically Open Office is kinda bloated (it uses more resources and is slower than Microsoft Office, look it up) and hasn't got any touchscreen support - and the N900 doesn't have a trackball or D-Pad. And it's just silly to run something bloated like Open Office on a portable device. A lot of companies are moving to smartclients and webservices, look at Intel Moblin OS, look at Google Chrome OS, look at Microsoft's WebOffice.

In a couple of years time, writing office documents will be like webmail. Most people don't use local email any longer, and office on the internet allows you to access and share your documents anywhere and anytime, and you always have the most current version of the document in reach.

Last edited by Holyshit; 2009-11-24 at 20:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Holyshit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by homelinux View Post
I will drop a few words in:

I have been a regular visitor of these forums for a few years (since I purchased my N800) and I agree that the crew here can get pretty deffensive when in presence of negative comments about Nokia stuff (justified or not). Then you have the common "search the forums" answer when a newbie asks something. The problem with this is that the search algorithm (IMO) is not great, every time I look for something it takes several attempts and there is no gurantee that you will be presented the "best" solution on top. With that said, and 10 pages of comments later, the originator of this thread hasn't provided proof of the chopiness he is complaining about. And I agree that he should have expressed himself in a different way (was cursing really necessary?). To give him the benefit of the doubt, he is probably upset with his purchase and was just venting.
Yeah the search is terrible, you get better results if you were to go to google.com and type in site:talk.maemo.org than if you used the built in one. Don't know if the new power search is any better though. Interestingly I've noticed that where I worked too where despite having a google powered search, the results will be different than had you done a site search.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Holyshit View Post
Yh Android does and it did so long before the N900. The T-Mobile G1 (and e.g. HTC Hero) run FULL Debian. Yes, they also support native X11, so you can run KDE, LXDE, IceWM whatever you want. So what your point again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8yBH...layer_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjNhG...layer_embedded

Even better: it's a 1-click install for G1 owners.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=529233
http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.ph...e=Debian_on_G1
http://www.androidfanatic.com/cms/co...9&id=1620#1620

So yh u get the best of both worlds: Android and full Debian on 1 device. When u need it u got full Debian in the palm of ur hand, when when u're finished u just switch back to a very nice smartphone OS. There's no emulation whatsoever and u don't need to wipe Android.

Windows Mobile 6.5/7 basically have quite good Office support. And basically Open Office is kinda bloated (it uses more resources than Microsoft Office, look it up) and hasn't got any touchscreen support - and the N900 doesn't have a trackball or D-Pad. And it's just silly to run something bloated like Open Office on a portable device. A lot of companies are moving to smartclients and webservices, look at Intel Moblin OS, look at Google Chrome OS, look at Microsoft's WebOffice.

In a couple of years time, writing office documents will be like webmail. Most people don't use local email any longer, and office on the internet allows you to access and share your documents anywhere and anytime, and you always have the most current version of the document in reach.
Um actually what they run is an image within a virtual machine. I dont know if you have played with it much but its by far and away a novelty as opposed to something that can be viably used.

Not saying it isnt cool - just not really a valid comp
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever