Active Topics

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Is there a quick test i can run to compare the performance with and without these mods?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The lines that form in the task-switching area -- they are from the CSSU? How do I get rid of them?

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Is there a quick test i can run to compare the performance with and without these mods?
Sure, try:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/mmc1/testfile bs=1024k count=512
That will create a 512mb file on your SD card as fast as it can write. While it does that, try using the phone other tasks.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Guys
I've been playing with settings from the first post and other things these days and so far my conclusions are:
Right after reboot the phone is fast and smooth, but in time performance degrades severely up to the point it becomes unresponsive for several seconds. Right now I am using only swappines 30 and nr_requests of 128 and the overall performance is great. Reducing nr_reqauests to 4 reduces io throuput to several K per second so it is not " option for me.

To test performance I was extracting ubuntu image on EMMC. While doing that I was changing different settings of io scheduler, including changing scheduler to to noop. With moderate result. My point was - why when one is copying file over USB there is absolutely no lag, but when doing same thing on n900 it freezes. The last thing to do was to play with swap - bingo, at the moment I swapoff EMMC swap, extracting speed raise to about 10 MB/s with no lagging at all. And the strange thing is that performance raise at the moment I did swapoff, even before swap was transferred to sdcard swap partition. Swap priorities do not matter - as long as EMMC swap is turned on, performance degrades severely. And I cannot see relation with behaviour under USB.Will continue to play with that and will report if find something

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Hi,

Great work. Didn't notice this till ivgalvez pointed it to the swappolube thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=339).

Just wanted to mention that will add the three missing/new fields in the Swappolube app (as soon as I read a little bit this thread).
Hope it is useful for your tests.

Cheers.

Last edited by Saturn; 2011-03-11 at 20:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
What's the difference between swappolube and this?

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Hi,

Great work. Didn't notice this till ivgalvez pointed it to the swappolube thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=339).

Just wanted to mention that will add the three missing/new fields in the Swappolube app (as soon as I read a little bit this thread).
Hope it is useful for your tests.

Cheers.
Not sure that is a good idea. Other than the current tweaks in swappolube the tweaks from this thread can cause serious problems. They sure do for me.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
Not sure that is a good idea. Other than the current tweaks in swappolube the tweaks from this thread can cause serious problems. They sure do for me.
Having them in Swappolluble will allow easier testing and reverting values.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Well they should at least not be made part of the recommended settings set.

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Guys
I've been playing with settings from the first post and other things these days and so far my conclusions are:
Right after reboot the phone is fast and smooth, but in time performance degrades severely up to the point it becomes unresponsive for several seconds. Right now I am using only swappines 30 and nr_requests of 128 and the overall performance is great. Reducing nr_reqauests to 4 reduces io throuput to several K per second so it is not " option for me.

To test performance I was extracting ubuntu image on EMMC. While doing that I was changing different settings of io scheduler, including changing scheduler to to noop. With moderate result. My point was - why when one is copying file over USB there is absolutely no lag, but when doing same thing on n900 it freezes. The last thing to do was to play with swap - bingo, at the moment I swapoff EMMC swap, extracting speed raise to about 10 MB/s with no lagging at all. And the strange thing is that performance raise at the moment I did swapoff, even before swap was transferred to sdcard swap partition. Swap priorities do not matter - as long as EMMC swap is turned on, performance degrades severely. And I cannot see relation with behaviour under USB.Will continue to play with that and will report if find something
Freemangordon, what setting do you suggest for being able to install and update the deb image ? I had lot of reboots while updating and lot of corruptions and starte verytime from zero which makes me sick !
Help