Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I suspect I know why NetMon's battery menu stopped reporting battery stats:
Maybe launching NetMon from the command line could help. There is a slight chance it displays some error messages if it's unable to get battery status from dbus.

Posts: 511 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Trinidad and Tobago
Hi guys, Noob here, so lets say I want to get the temp readings in my conky so I use DaSilva's configuration and set up my n900 using the "rmmod bq27x00_battery" in XTerm and rebooting.

Firstly I read using Notepad was the best way to get a .conf file that can be placed onto the N900 to do the job so my first problem is, do I just save the file after I copy DaSilva's text as a .txt? because to me this seems wrong.

My second question is, if I use the Notepad and I get the correct .conf file on my N900 would I still have issues with weird symbols?

I just want to clarify these things before I proceed, I read the problems but I just want to make sure if from what I read I have the correct understanding.

I notice a lot of the things explained on this forum is done non-noob friendly which is unfortunate because then we have pages upon pages of questions which could be avoided by one person or more than one giving detailed enough descriptions of the steps needed to be performed for a particular task.

Just my opinion.

Thanks

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
RenaldoTT: just try it and see if it works. i assume you did because you didn't ask any more questions...
it will work fine with any good notepad style app that allows you to choose the encoding correctly.
and dude your comment about the directions being bad is stupid because there is no way we can magically post the best directions for anything on the first post of every thread. you NEED to search and read lots of posts, we can't do a damn thing about it. n00b friendly doesn't mean we have to go giving basic linux commands everywhere does it? someone will usually clarify things if you ask, but don't expect it every time. it's a real pain for someone doing technical work to go writing the manual as well...

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Reboot after a night of charging while off resulted in everything reporting battery capacities of 86%, except for "cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0/capacity" and it's respective Conky implementation, which reported 98%.

Anyone who runs Advanced Power, does it start out telling you your N900 has ~100% battery power left after a full charge? If so, can you please report what happens if you "echo bq27x00_battery >> /etc/modules", then reboot? You can probably edit /etc/modules after that to undo the change, as I understand it.
sorry man you wrote a lot, i'm just going to point out that i noticed the same thing, conky often says the battery is full (when i read the charging rate to deduce that) while the nokia icon says it's charging. and the percentage doesn't match between the two locations.
it really makes no sense, but i'm happy the % updates during charging at least.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I've used Conky on Debian GNU/Linux years ago and it refreshes data every X seconds. It just parses data from e.g. /proc and displays this in a UI. The default UI and settings sucked balls though with some tweaking I could get something akin to a nice widget on my desktop. Although modern DE's have nice widgets or applets which allow you to do the very same though. Ie. I enjoy the nice graphs of System Monitor 2.30 on my laptop with GNOME right now. Merely graphs, no names. I know the colour each graph represents, and in the case I forgot I can hover over it and get the information in plain good ol' English.

Now, back to Conky. On your phone, Conky would refresh every X seconds, too. Even though you're not looking at it. If I run htop in an X terminal it will refresh even though I'm not actually looking at the data. The only time it is useful to refresh is when 1) logging data (slow to write to flash though, and a CPU hog, too) 2) when the user is seeing the data. IOW, say I have a UI on my phone, and I have a battery applet. This applet should not refresh when I am not looking at my screen. However, the phone should receive calls even when my screen is not displaying anything, and it should alert me and allow me to interact with the phone when I do receive a call. Now, on a desktop, server, router you may get away with stuff like SNMP, RRDTool, Conky, and what not. On a laptop it may be preferred because you simply put the device to sleep mode or hibernate mode when you stop using it. A phone however is never put in sleep mode, since it has to stay up, allowing you to be reachable. So you'd have to SIGSTOP it.

This is a prime example of a (desktop/console) application which isn't suitable for a device which is normally running on battery and isn't imba on juice power. I've had a similar thought about an RSS feed widget too (and OMWeather; a weather widget), but I don't remember I solved that problem optimally since the device cannot know whether it should update or not. The device can be told it should update every X seconds (from 5 seconds to 30 minutes to never) and that is it. End of story. To tackle this you'd need to use complex data analysis currently unavailable. Examples include: 1) where is this user going to, and should I try to update OMWeather for this 2) should I update RSS feeds for this user now since he isn't roaming (he is in his home country) but he will be roaming for 6 hours in a neighbor country according. Such can be calendar based. You could even base it on the next target re-juicing. But really, we are far from there yet and while I have to concede Conky might be the best tool for the job you're trying to fulfill I wouldn't recommend running it 24/7; I recommend to use battery applet and system usage for general usage, and trying to abstract the important information to simple yet informative, small GUIs (users dont want to read to learn this information) whereas allowing the user to have a check under the hood with e.g. Conky to get informative, extended information in good ol' English. You shouldn't have to check your system resources the whole time in English since it'd be distracting, taking too much time and effort to read it. Instead, it should be abstracted which is exactly what my GUI examples are doing. That was my point.
wow, nice rant, good effort. if you (or someone) can summarize that please... sorry i'm an *** but i can't tell if you're complaining or making a serious request. go make a feature request, it's better use of your time!

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
RenaldoTT: just try it and see if it works. i assume you did because you didn't ask any more questions...
it will work fine with any good notepad style app that allows you to choose the encoding correctly.
and dude your comment about the directions being bad is stupid because there is no way we can magically post the best directions for anything on the first post of every thread. you NEED to search and read lots of posts, we can't do a damn thing about it. n00b friendly doesn't mean we have to go giving basic linux commands everywhere does it? someone will usually clarify things if you ask, but don't expect it every time. it's a real pain for someone doing technical work to go writing the manual as well...
Well firstly I didn't try it. I'm not clear on the entirety of the instructions, secondly my request for someone NOT necessarily the original writer of the post could never be invalid because I doubt the guys who made the N900 wrote the manual, however there is a great chance the manual making was handed over to someone with the patience. This will always be a good thing. For a noob to read an entire post and then ask 29 more questions isn't quite logical, however if someone has the knowledge, and patience and the thread has gone on for a while, it would make sense to write maybe in .txt form a little guide that will avoid questions and situations like this where you PMS and I sip tea.

but i was drinking tea too... maybe too much caffeine?
i'm just annoyed you asked those questions because even if something is supposed to work, it isn't a guarantee. It took me a few minutes to get the weird symbol to go away even when I followed the various instructions. It's not like having an "A" instead of a degree symbol is going to break your n900. And I really have no idea why you are worried about saving text into notepad to make a text file. OF COURSE you can copy and paste text into notepad, save it, and you've created a .conf file.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
but i was drinking tea too... maybe too much caffeine?
i'm just annoyed you asked those questions because even if something is supposed to work, it isn't a guarantee. It took me a few minutes to get the weird symbol to go away even when I followed the various instructions. It's not like having an "A" instead of a degree symbol is going to break your n900. And I really have no idea why you are worried about saving text into notepad to make a text file. OF COURSE you can copy and paste text into notepad, save it, and you've created a .conf file.
You being annoyed is just... have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe I did not know that a .txt file and a .conf are the same, at least this is what it sounds like after what you've just told me.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
The only problem, RenaldoTT, is that if you read through the thread, you could have deduced that from context. People get kinda *****y around here, yes - it becomes hard not to when every day you come on here, and even go out of your way to help people who could easily find their answers, only to have 3-5 other people post similarly easy-to-discover questions.

That said, yes, I get that for a first run through Linux files, it's a bit ridiculous how easy it is to rename something (or not even bother renaming, just open it up in notepad, or some other editor like it - I use bluefish, there's also Emerald Editor, Notepad++, etc. These code editors are a bit better than normal notepad, and I'd recommend downloading one - one, because they type text exactly, they never enter any sort of meta-data, as far as I know, and two, because if you ever learn a coding language, or wish to, or need to look through some other code, they typically have autocomplete and syntax highlighting. )

If I stop feeling lazy I'll post some more advice from earlier in this thread back over here if you're still having trouble.

you really don't have to go through all that, I read and try my best to understand and if I run into problems and can't find an answer at all then I ask,and ask nicely but thank u for your help

The Following User Says Thank You to RenaldoTT For This Useful Post:

Tags
conky, fix it yourself, post your conky