Posts: 52 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
How long does it take to get a GPS fix (terrible on my N810) and how long does the battery last (quite good on my N810)?

Honestly I don't know what an iPhone killer would look like. What kind of features would make people drop their iPhones and rush to the new platform? Nothing that's currently on the market, in my opinion...
95000 fart apps?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Again, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I'm actually feeling pretty good about the N900 based on that; I'm pretty sure that this chap's idea of the things that a "user uses 98% of the time" are not the same things that I expect to spend my time doing. There are many, many things that have made me completely uninterested in the iPhone, and I'm getting an N900 specifically because it is not those things.

I was particularly amused by this bit of his post:
You might be able to control the Large Hadron Collider in theory with this "full linux" "supercomputer in your pocket"
I actually work on (a small fraction of) the LHC computing grid, and I confidently expect to spend more time on my N900 SSHed into my cluster than I will talking on it as a phone.

The N900 probably isn't the device for everybody, but I'm pretty sure it's the device for me.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
I'm actually feeling pretty good about the N900 based on that; I'm pretty sure that this chap's idea of the things that a "user uses 98% of the time" are not the same things that I expect to spend my time doing. There are many, many things that have made me completely uninterested in the iPhone, and I'm getting an N900 specifically because it is not those things.

I was particularly amused by this bit of his post:I actually work on (a small fraction of) the LHC computing grid, and I confidently expect to spend more time on my N900 SSHed into my cluster than I will talking on it as a phone.

The N900 probably isn't the device for everybody, but I'm pretty sure it's the device for me.
Thats pretty much how I feel. Excellent post

I just got my n900 and the 3g notebook from nyc nokia ..overall very happy with it evrthing running very good the only i 'm worried about is when i was using the wireless the battery waste very quick i got the phone it was a little than half charge and it when wasted very fast i download some software set up my tweeter and facebook and gmail acoount.I turn off to charge it when i get full charge i will test again .The 3g signal from tmo was pretty good.The multitasking from this phone was rock solid my previous phone was the nokia n958g which was great to me.

Last edited by aalcalan958g; 2009-11-22 at 02:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to aalcalan958g For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aalcalan958g View Post
I just got my n900 and the 3g notebook from nyc nokia ..overall very happy with it evrthing running very good the only i 'm worried about is when i was using the wireless the battery waste very quick i got the phone it was a little than half charge and it when wasted very fast i download some software set up my tweeter and facebook and gmail acoount.I turn off to charge it when i get full charge i will test again .The 3g signal from tmo was pretty good.The multitasking from this phone was rock solid my previous phone was the nokia n958g which was great to me.
You cant go based on the amount in the battery when you got it. The only true test is to fully charge the phone, run it down. charge it and then see how it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
he had this personal Nokia crusade going on in Hofo for much over a year already.

So while he might exaggerate time to time he does many times give critisism where it's needed.
The dude is on not one, but about a dozen, soapboxes!

That thread was mostly a waste of time, IMO.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Thanks all for your input in my somewhat off topic matter...

You have reinforced my opinion that was formed based on the SDK and feedback from the pre-production devices.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

About Maemo and Nokia's efforts so far I will say this. If there is something already out there that works for you out of the box then Maemo won't beat it... out of the box.

Out of the box the N900 will have less software available, more bug related software updates, and a much steeper learning curve...

However....and imho, 3 months later, the N900 owner will be happier with his purchase and their satisfaction will continue to grow as they realize that:

* More and more free applications have become available for the N900 and that they had a say in the development of some of those applications or can configure them more to their specific needs then ones available for sale on other phones.

* Each firmware update that they did receive over the air for their N900 actually improved its functionality and didn't cripple its connectivity even further or undo any changes that they may have already made.

* The learning process for the N900 was not painful at all and that they now feel a part of a vibrant, growing community that shares their enthusiasm for the device and its OS and is less concerned with how much time or money they spend on add-on applications or plug-ins.

However, in business time = $$$. If you need immediate satisfaction and can not invest the up front time required to make Maemo your own, then perhaps this phone is not for you... ymmv
tissot has also added a new dimension to the above with his reply >> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=91
I was trying to flesh that out in this thread >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30924 when we first got wind that Maemo might be moving to the head of Nokia's line up.

People familiar with S60 phones may not necessarily see this first incarnation of a Maemo cell phone as an improvement over what they were/are used to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
People familiar with S60 phones may not necessarily see this first incarnation of a Maemo cell phone as an improvement over what they were/are used to.
Ding, ding.
And now for the most fun part, those at hoFo are usually Symbian folks, with a few folks having dabbled in Maemo over the years, but wanted more polish than what the platform offered/offers.

So, again to those who are long standing here, not everyone is a fan of Maemo, and they need to be convinced. Things like a lack of polish in the UI, not being able to find applications, or getting answers like "go into the terminal and type..." just won't click. These are persons looking for a better user experience than what they are using, and those steps, while familiar here, aren't familiar to the majority...

...and they never will be.

Nokia knows this, and is working towards it, I hope that even in the comments that don't feel so great from outside of this community, that folks here get it and smooth out those rougher edges.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
"go into the terminal and type..." just won't click..

those steps, while familiar here, aren't familiar to the majority...

...and they never will be.
In my opinion, that is actually a really good way to deliver help, even for newbies. Granted, the new user has to change their expectations a bit, but if they do, they will find that pasting commands is easier and more reliable than following a (usually very long) sequence of images that say things like "click here".

What would be ideal, IMO, is a way to ensure the commands are from a reliable source. And they need to be explained -- not at the expert level, but in language a newbie can get value from. If those things are done consistently, help in the form of commands is great.

I cannot predict if this method of providing help will ever become comfortable to the group of folks you are referring to, but if they gave it a chance, I doubt they would want help any other way (provided some caveats like I mentioned are followed).

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny