Active Topics

it doesnt fits me (though it could perfectly fit a lot of people i guess).

two biggest fail for me are, simply, shape and size. i really dont see the point of them. its not a good compromise between iphone and a laptop, its a much bigger fail than a netbook (which is actually useful rarely). its really an unusable iphone on steroids! i cant imagine using this other than on a couch or a bed. but, hey, you could watch your 50 inches tv from there!
anyway, no surprise, i knew that. and im not a nokia fanboy, i want nokia to do something for the n900 to make it fly NOW or this will be my last nokia device - no excuses.

for the rest, im waiting for the microsoft courier, or maybe something similar (maybe from another company/os...). that could fit me, that could be useful for taking notes during class and most of all it uses the shape and size of something little less prehistoric than a tablet, the same real books and notepads have.

Last edited by phortize; 2010-01-27 at 20:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to phortize For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Whatever it is... Nasdaq doesn't like it so far.
Looks like it has rebounded.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
and if you'd have any clue about the big picture, you wouldn't btch about fremantle. It is whole another os compared to OS2008. Yes, some apps are about straight ports from OS2005 but you can't compare even OS2008 to fremantle when talking about general usability and ease of use. And finally: "Step 4/5"
I'll b1tch about Fremantle all I want, thanks. Yes, the change in the core UI is huge between Fremantle and Diablo but so what when the basic functionality of the apps and phone are not up to snuff?

Shall we wait another 12 months for that to be put right, by which time we'll have to buy another device to continue helping Nokia with their open source experiment?

Do you honestly think this is how they can survive when the competition are banging out new devices with applications that have been carefully crafted to work perfectly with the capabilities of that new device?

Whereas on the N900 we get something that was designed for the 770 and remains unchanged in 5 years. A virtual keyboard that is now virtually unusable. Phone functionality that seems to have been designed by a novice to the mobile phone industry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
You guys belittling this have no imagination. Just as one example, many older people still use photo albums. They could view photos on a computer, or they could even hook up their phone to the TV, but in the end there are too many steps involved to be pleasant.

But this thing, it sits on your coffee table in standby mode, you prod it a couple of times, and then flick through photos as if they were pages. Instant gratification. So what if it doesn't fit in your pocket and is too small to be a computer?

The OS is epic fail, of course, but we're the only ones who care. And like it or not, our only hope is Nokia, who can't even ship a decent RSS reader with the N900, and who unbelievably manage to fill a stable OS (5800) with bugs just to add widgets to the start screen (N97).

Nokia, you have ONE shot left. Maemo 6 had better be out of this world, and Ovi integration needs to be flawless, and you need to have music, ebooks and tv shows.

And by flawless, I mean things like when you click on a contact in the address book, there's also a button to view public Ovi photo albums in a native application. And there's a "wall" widget with status updates of friends on Ovi Contacts - from which you can equally easily open peoples' contact cards.

AND the existing apps need to get to a flawless state and not gain new bugs in new releases, especially WITHOUT new features (Symbian, I'm looking at you.)

AND Maemo 6 needs to expand the form factors asap. So Nokia can leverage Ovi and do stuff like photo albums on a 10" tablet, but with much greater scale and communication/location integration.

Stuff like THIS is why you've spent billions on Ovi and Navteq, right? Not just so I can upload geotagged images to a mediocre webpage? (Which is nice enough, mind you. I use it. But everyone else will be stuck in Apple's ecosystem, because they found all the functionality linked through the iTunes store.)

I love the N900, and the OS UI is wonderful, but right now I'm hoping that all the mediocre bundled apps are mediocre simply because most of the stuff is being rewritten in Qt, and there will be an explosion in quality after Q3.

Last edited by livefreeordie; 2010-01-27 at 20:47.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
And even despite the shortcomings, there will be people all over this, because people that consume media, only really need a screen. It is too limited to do any power job. It doesn't have HDMI! I was thinking on the Zune :P

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
Im nearly tempted to send you my old i780 and see if you still complain about nokia after that, they will seem perfect then!!!!
Don't worry, I've an iPaq HX4700 sitting in a drawer somewhere... VGA screen but still a horrible device.

Compared to WinMo the Nokia devices are a joy, but that's not saying much!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I'll b1tch about Fremantle all I want, thanks. Yes, the change in the core UI is huge between Fremantle and Diablo but so what when the basic functionality of the apps and phone are not up to snuff?

Shall we wait another 12 months for that to be put right, by which time we'll have to buy another device to continue helping Nokia with their open source experiment?

Do you honestly think this is how they can survive when the competition are banging out new devices with applications that have been carefully crafted to work perfectly with the capabilities of that new device?

Whereas on the N900 we get something that was designed for the 770 and remains unchanged in 5 years. A virtual keyboard that is now virtually unusable. Phone functionality that seems to have been designed by a novice to the mobile phone industry.
are you deliberately missing some essential points? i bet you are so no point going further.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Yes, and there's a common sense solution to it - play the ringtone through the device speakers when music is not being played through the headphones, but play the ringtone through the headphones when music IS being played. A sensible enough solution that will work for virtually all people,
Interesting idea, and closer to working for me--but not there yet.

OK, I am listening to MP3s. My colleague wanders up, and I pull off the headphones. Do I stop and pause the music, negelecting my colleague? No. This leaves the music running. OK, following our conversation, I dive into work on project A -- not putting my headphones back in. They lie there on my desk, quietly buzzing away. (I don't generally crank my headphones.) Now when a travelling colleague who has only my mobile number in his blackberry rings me. I don't hear it, and project B has a sudden crisis what could have been avoided.

I think we've discovered a third option that some people might want. and the setting does need to be controllable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
are you deliberately missing some essential points?
Such as?

i bet you are so no point going further.
No really, please do.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I like my N900. I hope it can assimilate all the unique (and locked in) features of my BB Bold and iPhone 3GS. But unfortunately all the open source wonders in the world can't give me access to REAL CONTENT when the platform is not appealing/profitable enough to the content producers.
Would you care to define what `real content` means? N900 has undeniably the best browsing experience of all portable gadgets out there, and its browser can access more web pages and web services than all the Apple portable products combined, and the internet is full of all kinds of content.

So, what content N900 cannot access that iPhone/iPod can? I can think of hundreds of examples where the equation is opposite.

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet