Active Topics

Excellent post, very convenient. But I met the same problem as "Unable to connect via USB. memory card in use: Internal memory card". I don't know how to modify the .sh file. I nearlly know nothing about linux.
GeraldKo, could you tell me the detailed procedure to modify the osso-mmc-umount.sh? Thanks.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by mjjiang View Post
Excellent post, very convenient. But I met the same problem as "Unable to connect via USB. memory card in use: Internal memory card". I don't know how to modify the .sh file. I nearlly know nothing about linux.
GeraldKo, could you tell me the detailed procedure to modify the osso-mmc-umount.sh? Thanks.
Well, mjjiang, I know almost no Linux either! But I don't understand your question. If this relates to the guide, at what step does your problem first arise? What message do you get at that point?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Do you need to be booted into flash to clone using Acronis True Image?

I wound up redoing it since I was having trouble with CPU usage when my external 16 GB SDHC was in. So I divided up my 16 GB and used it for the internal. Though now it reports that I can only extend my virtual memory up to 96 MBs.. which is kinda odd (I have about 3.5 GBs for the device memory and the rest 11+ GBs is now internal memory).
Control Panel>Memory is known to have bug and not reliable, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11824. Go maemo.org/gronmayer.com search for Diskusage of your OS, dl and install it. That would give you an idea where/what ALL your disk partitions are.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-04-19 at 15:28.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Well, mjjiang, I know almost no Linux either! But I don't understand your question. If this relates to the guide, at what step does your problem first arise? What message do you get at that point?
What I mean is to modify the .sh file as below:

Code:
if [ $? = 0 ]; then
umount $MP 2> /dev/null
fi
RC=$?
else
# it is not mounted
RC=0
fi
to:

Code:
if [ $? = 0 ]; then
if [ "$MP" != "/" ] ; then umount $MP 2> /dev/null ; fi
RC=$?
else
# it is not mounted
RC=0
fi

Can I move the file to my XP desktop and modify it? Or there is a more convenient way? Thanks.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
This is over my head. Maybe someone else will be of more help. (Someone who knows Linux!) And maybe this is beneath your level, but: You can also edit files in emelFM2. Select the file and click the icon of a page with a pencil on it.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Control Panel>Memory is known to have bug and not reliable, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11824. Go maemo.org/gronmayer.com search for Diskusage of your OS, dl and install it. That would give you an idea where/what ALL your disk partitions are.

bun
I have diskusage but there's nothing that says swap. And interestingly, after installing KDE (I still have 1 GB free left on my device memory), 8 GBs free on my internal memory card, and 2 GBs free on my external. My virtual memory has dropped from 96 MB to 0. And it tells me I do not have enough space to extend virtual memory.

Curious as to see if this is actually the case I did the only thing I knew how. Got into root and did "free" (linux command for memory).

Swap reports 0 0 0. O.O

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by mjjiang View Post
What I mean is to modify the .sh file as below:

Code:
if [ $? = 0 ]; then
umount $MP 2> /dev/null
fi
RC=$?
else
# it is not mounted
RC=0
fi
to:

Code:
if [ $? = 0 ]; then
if [ "$MP" != "/" ] ; then umount $MP 2> /dev/null ; fi
RC=$?
else
# it is not mounted
RC=0
fi

Can I move the file to my XP desktop and modify it? Or there is a more convenient way? Thanks.
I suppose you could, but that would be a hassle. (copying it over, then editting it then copying it back with the right permissions and all).

You could just edit the file in the terminal as well. With nano or vi. Likely "sudo vi nameoffile.sh" then just edit it and save.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I have diskusage but there's nothing that says swap. ...
When KDE is running, diskusage shows a new swap drive.

bun

I'm aware that KDE does create its own swap but does Hildon/Maemo use it? Anyway I had restarted my tablet at this point so KDE hadn't been started up again and it still reported no swap partition (as well as that 0, 0, 0 thing from free).

I'm wondering if there is a swap or not though (maybe it's just not being reported), considering some apps I run pretty much need swap or they would crash according to posters (e.g. wesnoth) and they seem to run just fine still.

Thanks for the tutorial!

I wanted to clone my personalized OS on my N810 (A) on my friend's N810 (B).

I followed the procedure closely for the two NITs... Starting with the tweaked OS on A and a fresh install on B..

The only minor problem was the links for the external memory card are different on the N810.
umount /media/mmc2 [someone with an N810 … is this mmc2? If not, please PM me and I'll make a change here]
sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM [note: that's a zero, not a capital letter O]
Actually, on the N810, the external card is /media/mmc1 .. and the link is /dev/mmcblk1

After everything was done, I only had to take the card from A and insert it in B, and press 'home' at reboot to select the external card.

I didn't notice any glitch, yet.. though the exact same configuration for two different hardware may have few consequences.

--

Now, the NITs boot by default on the internal memory (previous OS). How can I change?

The Following User Says Thank You to t24 For This Useful Post: