Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
I want my, I want my, I want my LTE.
Here we 100% agree.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
These are theoretical limits/caps in the current gen technology (and yet I believe some carriers have been testing beyond these here and there for eventual release- of course your hardware has to support it to be useful), highly unlikely to be achieved once much less all the time on either device. And as others have pointed out, Tmo's 3G coverage has been the weakest thus far- in both initial growth, real-world download speeds, and major market coverage. A lot of their cities they cite to pump numbers aren't nearly as big as other cities that are completely void of Tmo 3G. Go figure.

I want my, I want my, I want my LTE.
This isn't very accurate the way you imply it. Tmobile's speeds are consistent because TMo has ratcheted the network to build in for capacity issues. As it matures and gets more users, it will allow for more speed up. Its in safe mode right now, but consistent, high quality, reliable, and nothing like at&t, accordng to jdpowers. It takes time to launch a city, and alot of that is the fcc's fault for releasing the spectrum.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by Bitmap Frogs View Post
Some of you in here like to rag a lot about the iPhone and well, it's expected since it's pretty much the biggest game in town insofar as the new wave of touchscreen smartphones but seriously, it's making an impact because Apple actually got several things right and if the new wave of Maemo devices aspires to achieve similar success they should look at it closely.

Just as an example, legacy support is exemplary. Every iPhone iteration so far has been able to install the yearly revision of the OS and not just the bug fixes, but new features too. Is the Maemo team and Nokia committing to such legacy support? Or I'll need to buy the n910 in a year and the n920 the following year as it's been the case for symbian phones?
Well, we can all (hopefully) agree that the 770 and 8xx series are a far cry hardware-wise from the N900. Perhaps, to help those complaining about the new ARM not being clocked high enough, over the course of the next year or two the power drain/heat/stability issues for that core can be worked out and we'll see a 910 or 920 with faster clocks that will indeed retain compatibility as the core hardware will remain the same, possibly some flash memory boost (I don't know what the limit is on the new ARM). This will allow development of Maemo to continue on said 920 device and once it is polished and ready for release, the 920 can have the new code out of the box (a la 3GS) and at the same time or nearly so, current 910/900 owners can update their firmware to match.

The bottom line is, it's a choice-buy it, don't buy it. If Nokia jacks around and people get frustrated enough, elements will fail and they'll learn a hard and painful lesson. If they try and make everyone happy, we'd never see a new Maemo device. They have to make choices too; r&d takes time and money and those neck-breathers are relentless. Time will tell if they are able to please everyone by way of a broader Maemo lineup.

Oh, and despite being anti-Red Fruit since I heard of them in the 80s, I agree and admit to their successes with the iPhoney. I'll never own one, but they obviously did more than one thing right. (my colleagues had dropped jaws when I admitted admiration for Red Fruit's market-sucking performance the past few years.)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Since 2003, most phones have had this feature, even feature phones. Every Motorola, HTC, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, and Samsung feature and smartphone support OBEX push. I think expecting it from a $699 "premium" smart featurephone isn't too much to ask.
Palm Pre doesn't support OBEX.

Wow! Just like..every other GPS enabled phone running Google Maps. Now tell me this. What good is a navigation app if it won't work when you're lost away from the cell network?
I've yet to be out of my cell network - and I've traveled 49 out of 50 US states. Mind you, when I'm out of area, I tend to know where I'm going anyway.

Ovi Maps requires no network connection, and is owned by Nokia, which owns Navteq, the world's best map data provider, and much better than TeleAtlas, which Google must pay for its data, and which may not always be up to date. Ovi Maps is yards better, with support for navigation inside architectural landmarks comng soon.
Too bad Wayfinder isn't the same as Navteq because Wayfinder on the N810 basically sucked.

Not sure Google Maps is made for Ovi as a download yet, but with Ovi, who needs it?
On your platform of choice, you have Navteq and whatever Ovi will hopefully deliver. On the iPhone, it's there (Google Maps) by default and other options exist.

Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
For those that can't load the video on maemo.nokia.com here it's on vimeo:

Nice device. I want one!

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
... and lower price. An unlocked iPhone costs Eur 800 and an N900 Eur 600.
holy mackerel ! Eur 600 ?

best price still: N800 !

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I've yet to be out of my cell network - and I've traveled 49 out of 50 US states. Mind you, when I'm out of area, I tend to know where I'm going anyway.
If that 50th state gets really cold, then you'll have a hard time getting lost as long as you stay on the road, there's only 4 highways. Though knowing which way is what can get tricky sometimes.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I dont have an iphone...Thanks
But you compare things you don't own together? I think N900 looks promising, it looks like the PIM apps are the ones I really really miss on the N810 and video playback capabilities.

Now I own an iPhone since 1 year and NEVER looked back to N810. I look back to the camera from my N82, that's it. With my 3GS it doesn't hurt so much.

After a year I must say: Apple doens't have all features and it's not "open", but everything works as expected. This is one huge plus over technical data.

I never miss changing batteries or OBEX transfers (I have WiFI).

One other thing is the integration with my desktop. It's feels it's the mobile version of my desktop. There are so few times I really miss my desktop. iPhone can do everything I REALLY need on-the-go.

I don't need 1000 features implemented 3/4 to release I COULD do if I want or hack this or that. I need 100 mobile features which works very easy.

Ok, one point is lack of multitasking for Skype. But I don't Skype that much or do oversea calls or need the feature I could do oversea Skype calls if I want. Skype ates a look battery on the N810 (for a good voice quality I must powered off power saving in Skype app) and it ates battery on the iPhone.

And I don't need a lot of phone features on the go. I need an internet tablet with exchange features which works.

Now I'm happy with iPhone since one year and maybe N900 becomes a gadget / 2nd phone, because N900 is what I expected on my N810.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
(...) I contributed as well.
(...)
Ah, yeah, you compare with a non jailbroken iPhone (why?)
I thank you for your contributions.

Question. Apple is trying their best to make it (more of) a crime to jailbreak their phones. Why would one want to compare a stock Nokia with a jailbroken Iphone?

To me, that's kinda like saying that an Acer that comes with Photoshop can be compared to a Lenovo that has access to The Pirate Bay.

The Iphone isn't ment to be jailbroken, Apple works against it, it's against the user agreement and they want to brand you as a terrorist for jailbreaking the phone... Some jailbroken phones have had side effects with being denied upgrades, if I remember correctly...

And the Nokia could always get access to a whole lot other stash by doing stuff to it, too, like installing stuff like EasyDeb. But that, and what follows (like OpenOffice) is also not something we should add to the brag list - unless we want to add the feature "EasyDeb can be installed".

Really, I think stuff you need to breach the user agreement to do, comes with a bit of bitter taste.

Now, all of this is personal opinions and as such, I understand and respect that jailbreaking is more or less required to get the best out of an Iphone.

But jailbreaking isn't a feature, it's a crime. According to Apple.

Last edited by volt; 2009-08-30 at 01:06.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Jailbreaking an iPhone is just like breaking the warranty seal of your device to get extra mileage out of it. What Apple says in their PR campaign to appease their developer community doesn't have much bearing on me. Apple have made claims (following RIAA) that pirating aids drug dealers (??) and terrorists (????), but no one is going to get sued for jailbreaking their iPhones and if they ever need to claim the warranty on their iPhones, jailbreaking is completely reversible.

What this practically means for iPhone user is that they get the best of both worlds. They get community created apps and still get all the content from developers that require DRM protection. Yes, certain premium contents requires DRM before the developers will even consider making the app available for said platform. I think this'll be obvious in time when we compare the apps available for maemo vs the iphone.

PS: You can even enable multitasking capability by running community created utility (backgrounder).

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war