Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
July 2010 article, pre-Elop era again

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20037...ne_misses.html

Motorola abandoned Symbian in 2008!!!!!!

http://www.zdnet.com/motorola-ditche...fs-3039539063/

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Thanks of thinking of me. The operative word is WAS,WAS,WAS. Symbian WAS the king. That same year Samsung and SONY ericsson abandoned Symbian. Why?
We can only speculate, my guess would be:

Symbian was too much under a competitors (NOKIA's) control whereas Google/Android was seen as neutral. I have read any third-party submission to the Symbian Foundation's code base needed NOKIA's approval and that was rarely given.

Symbian made hardware integration difficult, Android made it much easier and processors and RAM in smartphones had reached the level they could take up the slack of a less efficient OS.

Because unlike dysfunctional Nokia, pre-Elop board, they saw that Symbian WAS the king and it was time to run for the hills. Your little blog is another delusion.
In 2010 NOKIA and Symbian attracted more new customers than either Apple or Samsung. Not delusion, verifiable fact. In Q1 2011 Elop deprecates Symbian/MeeGo. Not delusion, verifiable fact. You should try working with facts, you'll struggle at first but I'm sure you'll the hang of it.

If you actually read and understood the blog you'd know Elop and the board had explicitly stated in a report they submitted to the NYSE there was a risk carriers, retailers and consumers would drop support for NOKIA's existing products once they announced their new Windows Phone strategy, they also stated once support for the brand had been dropped they might not be able to regain it. And so it came to pass.

I was sure Elop must have known that outcome was very much on the cards, now it's verified.

They also stated they were aware Windows Phone had already failed to gain any significant traction in the market.

They spelled out all the reasons it was a really crap strategy and then went ahead with it anyway

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
We can only speculate, my guess would be:

Symbian was too much under a competitors (NOKIA's) control whereas Google/Android was seen as neutral. I have read any third-party submission to the Symbian Foundation's code base needed NOKIA's approval and that was rarely given.

Symbian made hardware integration difficult, Android made it much easier and processors and RAM in smartphones had reached the level they could take up the slack of a less efficient OS.

In 2010 NOKIA and Symbian attracted more new customers than either Apple or Samsung. Not delusion, verifiable fact. In Q1 2011 Elop deprecates Symbian/MeeGo. Not delusion, verifiable fact. You should try working with facts, you'll struggle at first but I'm sure you'll the hang of it.

If you actually read and understood the blog you'd know Elop and the board had explicitly stated in a report they submitted to the NYSE there was a risk carriers, retailers and consumers would drop support for NOKIA's existing products once they announced their new Windows Phone strategy, they also stated once support for the brand had been dropped they might not be able to regain it. And so it came to pass.

I was sure Elop must have known that outcome was very much on the cards, now it's verified.

They also stated they were aware Windows Phone had already failed to gain any significant traction in the market.

They spelled out all the reasons it was a really crap strategy and then went ahead with it anyway
You are still not getting it? The board new that Symbian days were numbered and they brought Elop to make the transition. Nokia itself knew that Symbian was dying. They sold so many phones because they kept cutting the prices, but the end was written all over the wall. Everyone was abandoning it. Or perhaps you knew the inner workings of Nokia better than the leaders themselves....somehow I doubt it.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Dumbramos, if you read the whole thread, you would realize that I said to qgil that I am device agnostic and had no interest in having any part in Lumias. Nice try to disinform.
I put a link there--everyone else can go ahead and read it and form their own opinion. Nice try at spinning the way it happened, though, but even the others reading the current thread pointed it out. It was a pretty fun re-read.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Hi uTMY,
Thanks for your invaluable advice, I shall hunt down a couple of rabbits forthwith.

As you can see below the city of my birth is extremely primitive. I used to wake up every morning sobbing wishing I'd been born in the world's one and only developed country
Oh God, I didn't realize how bad it was. Do you need donations or anything? I hope you aren't forced to eat the awful things that grow up from the ground in such a dreadful place.

Thanks of thinking of me. The operative word is WAS,WAS,WAS. Symbian WAS the king. That same year Samsung and SONY ericsson abandoned Symbian. Why? Because unlike dysfunctional Nokia, pre-Elop board, they saw that Symbian WAS the king and it was time to run for the hills. Your little blog is another delusion.

Have you finished college or more advanced education?
Motorola abandoned Symbian in 2008!!!!!!

http://www.zdnet.com/motorola-ditche...fs-3039539063/
They both ran for the hills! ...Toward which successful OS? Was it Windows Phone? Was it? How comparatively well did the Symbian-dropping companies do that DID adopt Windows Phone versus the ones that went with some other OS other than Windows Phone (you can name any competitor to compare to)?

You are still not getting it? The board new that Symbian days were numbered and they brought Elop to make the transition. Nokia itself knew that Symbian was dying. They sold so many phones because they kept cutting the prices, but the end was written all over the wall. Everyone was abandoning it. Or perhaps you knew the inner workings of Nokia better than the leaders themselves....somehow I doubt it.
No, the end was written on the press releases and statements that Elop made. Until then, Symbian was doing fine compared to all other competitors, even Android and iPhone until Elop's appalling public blathering about a burning platform, which I'd argue only turned it into a self-fulfilling prophesy rather than an accurate accounting of what, even now, still is far more popular platform than Windows Phone has proven itself to be.

You keep telling everyone else they're not getting it but it's pretty clear you're in a severe minority arguing for a platform of severe minority.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
hey guys, can you please tell me what OS is the best?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Hey I call schenanigans, Dave is off off topic.

:-)

rgds

This is a stock thread, not an OS thread. So quality is offtopic, but quantity isn't.

Anyway, from the articles I've been reading about Ubuntu for Phones the last two days, it seems that the consensus is that MeeGo was best. This from American tech bloggers. Funny, N900 and MeeGo keeps getting mentioned. Not the N9.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I put a link there--everyone else can go ahead and read it and form their own opinion. Nice try at spinning the way it happened, though, but even the others reading the current thread pointed it out. It was a pretty fun re-read.

Oh God, I didn't realize how bad it was. Do you need donations or anything? I hope you aren't forced to eat the awful things that grow up from the ground in such a dreadful place.

They both ran for the hills! ...Toward which successful OS? Was it Windows Phone? Was it? How comparatively well did the Symbian-dropping companies do that DID adopt Windows Phone versus the ones that went with some other OS other than Windows Phone (you can name any competitor to compare to)?

No, the end was written on the press releases and statements that Elop made. Until then, Symbian was doing fine compared to all other competitors, even Android and iPhone until Elop's appalling public blathering about a burning platform, which I'd argue only turned it into a self-fulfilling prophesy rather than an accurate accounting of what, even now, still is far more popular platform than Windows Phone has proven itself to be.

You keep telling everyone else they're not getting it but it's pretty clear you're in a severe minority arguing for a platform of severe minority.
Nice try to disinform again. Here is my response to qgil per verbatim:

"Thanks for the link. I own multiple devices and although I think Lumia is a good product, I am not fanatic to push for it. My main phone is still iPhone 4s, due to its resolution, typing ease, smoothness, and the fact that I can manipulate font sizes. With regards to Nokia phones, I like both Lumia and n9. Lumia is a great touchstone for simple masses, and n9 is good effort but still not good enough as I enumerated on numerous posts. I just don't like over saturated amoled colors."

Are you related to Furloughed Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf? You and him share a lot when it comes to stating facts

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
With regards to Nokia phones, I like both Lumia and n9. Lumia is a great touchstone for simple masses, and n9 is good effort but still not good enough as I enumerated on numerous posts. I just don't like over saturated amoled colors."
So you like the N9? Saturated colors same on L800 or N9... Oh I see to official Nokia staff you say you like the N9 but here you call it a taliban phone... What a hypocrite...

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha