Active Topics

Actually I want a portable 30+" screen infront of me at distance, and a wireless/laser stylus for input. Touchless touchscreen! Anyone remember duck hunt on nintendo? A N810 stylus-sized device instead of the big pistol..

Another thing, has anyone thought about adding a sensor to the sylus holder? Switch to playskool fingerpainting big happy text and icons if stylus is present, switch to stylus-friendly size if user removes stylus from holder..

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
If I no longer had a stylus option, touching the screen would still be my last choice. But with laptops, a touch pad is my first choice. So, here's a front and back picture of some 2002 technology (the touch pad of my poor, dead Evo N410c. I miss you). It's wafer thin, cheap and I wouldn't need the buttons. Why can't something like this be on the backplate? Nokia is already going to need one for their netbook. Just have someone reach over to that assembly line and slap it on my tablet. Then you could capacitate till the cows come home. But just to be clear, this would be a compromise; I would still prefer a stylus for my RX-81.
something like this you mean?
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/04/ps...-touch-devices

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Another thing, has anyone thought about adding a sensor to the sylus holder? Switch to playskool fingerpainting big happy text and icons if stylus is present, switch to stylus-friendly size if user removes stylus from holder..
Yes, that idea has been proposed previously--and to poor reception. I remain unable to turn up the original post or recall who made the initial suggestion, but I mentioned the idea in the "What woud you realistically like to see in the N900?" thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
If I no longer had a stylus option, touching the screen would still be my last choice. But with laptops, a touch pad is my first choice. So, here's a front and back picture of some 2002 technology (the touch pad of my poor, dead Evo N410c. I miss you). It's wafer thin, cheap and I wouldn't need the buttons. Why can't something like this be on the backplate? Nokia is already going to need one for their netbook. Just have someone reach over to that assembly line and slap it on my tablet. Then you could capacitate till the cows come home. But just to be clear, this would be a compromise; I would still prefer a stylus for my RX-81.
I had a similar idea -- to put the D-Pad and other buttons on the back -- which I still really like; but one problem is that the back-mounted device would be unavailable when the Tablet is lying flat on a table (which is a position I never use it in; I'm always holding it).

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Why can't something like this be on the backplate?
because you don't need to sell devices to customers who use them. you need to sell devices to so called journalists. they have no idea what they're writing about, but to make up for this, they agreed on judging products by certain buzzwords they find on the box. these buzzwords change over time, but for now, we have to live with the fact that one of these buzzwords is "touchscreen". (another one is "intuitive". nobody knows what it actually means in regard to an electronic device, but it has to be printed on the box.)

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Why is it such a bad idea to have a special stylus? The current hardware supports using any physical object to press the screen, a capacitive screen would allow flesh or a special stylus. I've only ever touched my tablet screen with my finger (or nail) or the supplied stylus (since it's always to hand in the in-build stylus holder).
Actually - and if somebody knows this to be wrong, please correct me, I'm not an expert in the technical side here - the "bad idea" of a capacitive stylus is (well, apart from the physical issues that they all seem to be very big - has anyone seen a tiny capacitive stylus?) that a capacitive screen is simply not as accurate as a resistive screen, because... umm, because the area is large.

Perhaps the size and accuracy issue are connected. Can you even do a tiny capacitive stylus? Why are all the examples I find really big?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Actually I want a portable 30+" screen infront of me at distance, and a wireless/laser stylus for input. Touchless touchscreen! Anyone remember duck hunt on nintendo? A N810 stylus-sized device instead of the big pistol..
go buy a wii

No, the closest to ideal would be a dual format screen.
Capacitive for when you put your grimy fingers on it, resistive for when you use your stylus (or both together)

its expensive and out of the question.

resistive screens are perfect for poking with your finger, but have deficiencies with stroking
cursed things

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I bought this stylus from DealExtreme for my girlfriend's iPod touch. Maybe it's the particular stylus, but it's clumsy and the screen is much less responsive to it than to a finger. We threw it out.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
do they? they might be willing to accept the limitations of the technology in a few selected use cases. what they really want is a touchscreen that works. neither capacitive nor resistive do very well today.
Well. It's the sum of the total device, of course. The touch screen technology, the physical screen itself (material etc.), and the hardware and software that interprets the signals from the touch screen (the quality of the original signal, how the drivers possibly filter the signal to get something more reasonable etc.).

Out of the mobile devices that are publicly available that I've tried (and I've tried many, for understandable reasons), the latest Apple iPhone for me provides the most comfortable total touch screen user experience, and by some considerable margin. The capacitive screen isn't of course the only piece of the question, but it is an important part nonetheless.

Resistive technology is not optimal for fingers, I'm sure we can all agree on this part. And capacitive technology is "really not optimal", i.e. not available, for styluses. As somebody said in this thread before, it is about making a choice of what we want to provide, and then eventually doing the best possible UI for that experience. I don't believe in being able to "do both" equally well.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Okay, then I'll rephrase: Will any future Nokia hand-held OMAP3 linux devices have resistive touchscreens? If so, will any of them have a stylus and a stylus holder? And lastly, will these same devices have screen resolutions less than 800x480? Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I cannot discuss exact details about future products. Product announcements are done the official way. But you don't need to wait too long anymore.

Ultimately the future isn't about any single product. What Maemo does and what kind of devices run Maemo are separate questions.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:

Tags
dismantle, fremantle, fremantle summary, kate alhola, kool-aid, no soup for you, presentation, to sylus or not to stylus