Active Topics

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
When I initially ordered my N900 from Amazon I ordered the offered 3 year warranty. This warranty is from a company called Square Trade. I hadn't yet done anything about that warranty, but since I canceled my order with Amazon and went to Dell instead I decided to go in and see how it works.

I tried creating an account through their web page, but I never received an email. So I called them. The guy on the phone was very helpful. He created my account for me with a temporary password. I then explained to him that the warranty was purchased back in October and that I was wondering if the 3 year warranty started counting from the time of purchase or from the time of the product delivery. He said that it starts from the time you purchase the warranty. Oops #1.

I then explained to him that I had canceled my device order through Amazon and that I was purchasing it from Dell instead. I asked him if the warranty would apply to the device purchased from Dell and he said that it would not. He said that they can transfer a warranty from person to person, but not from device to device. Oops #2.

The good thing is that the warranty can be canceled within 90 days of purchase for a full refund. He was helpful enough to cancel it for me. I still think I am going to purchase this warranty for the device, but I am going to wait until it ships.
The first I knew was likely true. The second he might be mistaken about. Right now, there is no device associated with the warranty in mine. I'm guessing as soon as you assign a receipt to the account that it is associated to that device, but it doesn't look like you NEED to do that, as long as you are able to provide a receipt at the time of the claim.

Anyways, it is probably a good idea to can the warranty, especially since the Dell price is cheaper than the offered warranty on Amazon.

Edit: It looks like I'm wrong. The ad on Amazon says that the item is required to be purchaced from Amazon.

Last edited by TheLongshot; 2009-11-06 at 15:58.

Originally Posted by jsharper View Post
My Dell SB order ($442 + tax, using the 15% stackable coupon code from yesterday before it was shut off) is still "In Production". I'm hoping they've already cancelled all the orders they were going to cancel...
Yeah likewise. I am holding out hope that its not going to be canceled. Meanwhile I think I will renew my NewEgg order just to be sure.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by drm View Post
There is something very wrong with capitalism these days.
Yeah, that I'm not the one making all of the money...
They call it free market but I can’t really think of a reason why we European have to pay the double of the price of things “made in Europe” than the Americans.
Its competitive pricing. How many would they sell at current exchange rates with the competition hovering at $500-700? The US is a big growth market, with large pockets to afford such a device if priced competitively. Since Nokia doesn't get many subsidies from carriers, pricing is major.

The Euro markets aren't growing as fast and are saturated at the moment by comparison. Don't feel bad. I used to make $22.75 per hour working for Dell Corp as a help desk tech in the late 90's. They shipped my job to India and pay my replacement $6 per hour. Why Indian university grads allow such undervaluing of talent is just as big a niggle, but hey. When in Rome...
This is valid to anything from electronics, musical instruments and cars, etc.
$442 is 297 € and here we have it for 599€
Wouldn’t be more logic if they would pay more for the transport.
I have friend that goes to the states in December and I’ll ask him to bring me one, but it’s really a shame that I need to make this kind of scheme.
If they follow your convention, they won't sell many in the US. As they're doing it, they're selling quite a bit. Building a brand by conceding profits is a wise move Nokia is lucky to be in the position to absorb. It costs money to make money. Nokia is rebuilding its brand in America. The moves are working, too.

Originally Posted by radiowc View Post
Hmm......... the catch might be longer delivery dates from DELL :>
Wow, can you troll any more?

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
When I initially ordered my N900 from Amazon I ordered the offered 3 year warranty. This warranty is from a company called Square Trade. I hadn't yet done anything about that warranty, but since I canceled my order with Amazon and went to Dell instead I decided to go in and see how it works.

I tried creating an account through their web page, but I never received an email. So I called them. The guy on the phone was very helpful. He created my account for me with a temporary password. I then explained to him that the warranty was purchased back in October and that I was wondering if the 3 year warranty started counting from the time of purchase or from the time of the product delivery. He said that it starts from the time you purchase the warranty. Oops #1.

I then explained to him that I had canceled my device order through Amazon and that I was purchasing it from Dell instead. I asked him if the warranty would apply to the device purchased from Dell and he said that it would not. He said that they can transfer a warranty from person to person, but not from device to device. Oops #2.

The good thing is that the warranty can be canceled within 90 days of purchase for a full refund. He was helpful enough to cancel it for me. I still think I am going to purchase this warranty for the device, but I am going to wait until it ships.
Ugh, so you mean my warranty purchased from Amazon doesn't apply for my n900 ordered from Newegg? That's kinda odd considering you can purchase the warranty seperately by itself on Amazon..

Edit: Yup.. it no longer applies. Guess I'll cancel mine and pray the n900 doesn't break in the first year..

"Your item must have been bought on Amazon. If you bought your item elsewhere, please call us at1.877.Warranty."

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-11-06 at 16:31.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
Did you guys use paypal? I did, and it hasn't posted to the account or been cancelled. I don't know if they are waiting for it to post to cancel it, or if it's just like the coupon said, "while supplies last."

The price increased from 519 to 599.. *sad face* I was gonna pull the trigger, too.

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
I pre-ordered mine yesterday from Dell and was told they will not charge my card until the phone enters the shipping process. Today I'm checking my bank online and they charged me the full price for the phone. I know when companies want to normally check the validity of your card they charge $1 just to make sure the card info you provided is accurate but never the full amount. I'm confused now. I'll call them later during my lunch to find out why they did so. I highly doubt it's anywhere near the shipping process lol. Has anyone else who ordered from Dell experienced this?

Originally Posted by QueenShawtii View Post
The price increased from 519 to 599.. *sad face* I was gonna pull the trigger, too.
Probably to make up for the money they lost by not canceling those $442 orders.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Gilbert, AZ, USA
Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
I pre-ordered mine yesterday from Dell and was told they will not charge my card until the phone enters the shipping process. Today I'm checking my bank online and they charged me the full price for the phone. I know when companies want to normally check the validity of your card they charge $1 just to make sure the card info you provided is accurate but never the full amount. I'm confused now. I'll call them later during my lunch to find out why they did so. I highly doubt it's anywhere near the shipping process lol. Has anyone else who ordered from Dell experienced this?
From what I remember, Dell does indeed do an authorization on your card for the full amount at purchase time, but doesn't settle that charge until they ship. So yeah, you'll probably see a pending charge for the full amount, and your available credit limit will be reduced by that amount, but it shouldn't fully post or clear until they are ready to ship. Normally, cred card companies let auths expire in 3-10 days if the charge isn't settled by then. In that case, they'll just re-charge it from scratch when they ship.

Tags
back away, extract the 'n' key, from the keyboard