Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by noetus View Post
Nokia should now buy Jolla.
And why, can I politely ask you ?
What could Nokia offer Jolla now, except maybe money?
If someone is out to buy Jolla, why Nokia specifically? Why not Ericsson, or Toyota, or maybe Glasco-Smith for goddssake??

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
And why, can I politely ask you ?
What could Nokia offer Jolla now, except maybe money?
If someone is out to buy Jolla, why Nokia specifically? Why not Ericsson, or Toyota, or maybe Glasco-Smith for goddssake??
Lets not forget Nokia's Advances Technologies, that is: "looking for new business opportunities," "continuing to research and develop concepts involved in connectivity, sensing and material technologies".

It sounds like Nokia looking to continue and maybe focus on its nano technology and graphene. Graphene study where it leads in Europe and was granted 1.35 billion dollars to study last year.
Having a software platform for lets say wearable tech sounds reasonable and example HERE car platform is already being build on Qt. That said, buying Jolla would mean they are buying into a traditional smartphone market and I don't think joining that game with old tricks makes sense.

Imo price structure on smartphones will go through some huge changes in near future. As long as somebody doesn't find a new blue ocean like Apple did in 2007.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
This is exactly what I am trying to drive as a point here. (and some people don't get it. they want the same old game to continue...)

Smartphone market is now just Android & IOS. period.
That's the top players, and Nokia as a large company wanted to be the top dog and it did not work, hence the exit strategy.
MS was kind enough to take the c**p out of their hands so Nokia can continue to do other things.

However: As I said, there's the 2 giants, but low down there's lots of room for a small company with something different to offer; there's a niche that Nokia will not want as it's far from the topdog, but there's plenty of playground for Jolla and the like to succeed...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Oh God no, please dear God no, I'm sure some nationalistic Finns like the sound of that...
But aside from them, most who've followed the whole saga very closely wouldn't want Nokia to go near Jolla, EVER.

Especially while it still has a very close relationship with MS, & will continue to "play footsies" with it well into the future.
It's not that I despise MS, it's just that they have a long track-record of destroying co's, advertantly or inadvertently.
And especially companies that are primarily F/OSS....

If say 2yrs from now there's a much clearer separation between Nokia/MS, then it's something that may work.
But until then, Jolla should stay well clear of Nokia, if they need "big buddies" before then, look elsewhere.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-22 at 04:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
It sounds like Nokia looking to continue and maybe focus on its nano technology and graphene. Graphene study where it leads in Europe and was granted 1.35 billion dollars to study last year.
That's "high art" R&D, lets hope it pays-off, & that they deliver real products/services from it, rather than only squatting on a big patent bank.

Having a software platform for lets say wearable tech sounds reasonable and example HERE car platform is already being build on Qt.
Lets hope they beat out Samsung there, Samsung has started to play quite hard in that area with MeeGo IVI & Tizen...
Wearable, I think they'll be too late to that game (again), & if past experiences mean anything, they should probably just find something else.
Then again, even if they're late, the industry as-a-whole will be more nascent than handhelds was, when they failed to adapt quickly enough.

That said, buying Jolla would mean they are buying into a traditional smartphone market and I don't think joining that game with old tricks makes sense. Imo price structure on smartphones will go through some huge changes in near future. As long as somebody doesn't find a new blue ocean like Apple did in 2007.
Most speculation from those that know their "noky" obsessively, is that it's extremely unlikely they'll go back to handhelds 2yr+ from now.
But at the same time, you never can say never....

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
MS was kind enough to take the c**p out of their hands so Nokia can continue to do other things.
MS was more of the problem than Nokia in that power play, constant/big delays in sw milestones, Nokia mostly delivered for their part, & got turned into MS's bitch for their part.
MS didn't buy "crap", they bought some real talent and IP, whether they actually effectively utilise it remains to be seen, I have my doubts.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-22 at 05:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
IPod nano was a head if it time

Nano devices will come, but unfortunately we have to wait several years...

The question we should think of: What for do we want nano? It can be extremely thin, but do we need thinner phones?

I think disc phones are the next step in evolution after the first Ipad and iPhone era.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Touche`, insightful, as always...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Touche`, insightful, as always...
I know. You have lots to learn...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Nokia can always license Sailfish ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Bingo ;-P 10char

Tags
device, jolla, jolla phone, pre-order