Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
sorry to tell you that PureView patent is now owned by Microsoft, Nokia is done without this patent
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
As I understand it it's only a slight variation of widely used technique anyway.
You should know that PureView is just a marketing term, it's just hype

The technology patents behind it (and other real/questionable innovations) are only licensed to Microsoft for duration of 10 years, not sold. This means that MS can use the technologies for the duration if it so chooses, without shelling extra cash.

This means that Nokia can also sell licenses to any other willing parties or use the technologies itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Resistance is futile.
..if less then one ohm.

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
According to some websites microsoft bought nokia becoz nokia was going to stop manufacturing windows phone as nokia was running out of cash and there were no profits . It could be a big blow to microsoft.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Quite conspiratorial idea I had recently: with the HTC-Jolla rumours (China supposedly declaring in March overreliability on Google/Apple/or any US company for that matter being bad, Jolla aiming for China from Nov last year and now Snowden revelations kickstarting/fueling such thinking), what if this is just the tip of an iceberg? If EU bans ios/android/wp from governmental institutions and decides to invest in US-spying-free platform? It will have to be opensource (well, doesn't have to be, but seeing how developing a whole platform from start is a few years long process and possible backdoors planted as sloppy code with all the hacker competitions seems quite easy/likely, having the whole populace being able to review code vs appointed body seems to be the only way), it will have to be EU based, we might just see Nokia revival. Of course Jolla could grab that anti-US market, now that only US based and south-korean with huge ties to defense department companies are left. US spying scandal could kickstart a mobile revolution
If EU bans ios/android/wp from governmental institutions and decides to invest in US-spying-free platform?

-->> I could agree with what you write above, let's check history on this particular line:

Europe has invested 11 millions in Symbian just before Elop killed it.

Symbeose stands for "Symbian -- the Embedded Operating System for Europe.

A few random headlines:

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/72258.html?amp&amp
http://blog.iese.edu/faceit/2010/the...way-our-money/

Seen the news in this topic the pledge of Elop to support Symbian till 2016 now reads as: leave Symbian raped and infected with MS spyware as an lead out present.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/europe...016/2011-05-26

To be honest I stopped caring about the whole ideal smartphone concept realizing nobody would ever make it (you know the giant ugly brick, open Linux infected quad core , 2GB version of the N900) and there are forces on high levels actively preventing its concept to further develop for the masses.

We were so close to get the evergreen ever classic device of our dreams if Nokia could have held course against the hidden forces and pushed out one or two more generations of the NIT that also could call.

After 2011 and disappointment of the N9 which I considered more than anything like a demo case of the OS it contained, I took a step back in my expectations and got a nice point ant shoot camera in return thanks to an previously despised N8 that started to look not too bad and also my now loyal and great friend the Nokia 808.

I am not even waiting for my Jolla to arrive. (100 Euro prepurchased) as I know I will find myself thorn between the excels of the 808 and that flat square ugly copy of a generic smartphone with generic hardware and mediocre camera but with the greatest OS on earth (supposedly).

No I don't need that Smartphone anymore like the N900 created a need in 2009. Getting over an old love happens finally. Not considering the fact that I am still surfing with the N900 daily.

But MS kindly leave my Symbian and me in peace!!! I won't buy the Lumia or use MS service on Symbian as long as I have free choice. Even if it means to sell the 808.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
According to some websites microsoft bought nokia becoz nokia was going to stop manufacturing windows phone as nokia was running out of cash and there were no profits . It could be a big blow to microsoft.
That was one of the possible reasons, yes.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
When Elop announced his WinCE Phone only strategy NOKIA's share price instantly fell and it continued to fall as did their sales, margins, profits and credit rating.

Microsoft has now bought the wreckage Elop created and they didn't even get the real prize - NOKIA's patents.
Look at the chart again. Stock was sliding down for years prior to Elop. Sorry to burst your bubble but your pre-Elop Nokia was full of crazy Tomi nuts and already sliding into obscurity. Elop executed what the intelligent board saw: a dysfunctional company unable to compete in the mobile space. I think that MS overpaid them. They are not worth much.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
People who worked at nokia said that around ~2005 their CEO on large all-hands meetings said many times that correct way to communicate between microcontrollers and CPU in phones is gzipped xml.

So there might be something to what Lumiaman is saying.

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
People who worked at nokia said that around ~2005 their CEO on large all-hands meetings said many times that correct way to communicate between microcontrollers and CPU in phones is gzipped xml.
I find that statement quite unlikely. Could you please point me to a source that could confirm this?
Around that time Nokia CEO was Jorma Ollila and I do not belive he ever took a view on device design details

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
So there might be something to what Lumiaman is saying.
I generally hold a view that management should be treated like cultivated mushrooms, kept in dark and fed s**t.
Conceptualization, specification and design are far too complicated issues as it is without letting management come in and muddle the things.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I have been laughing for about fifteen minutes now. Reason:
http://mikepohjola.wordpress.com/201...dear-mr-nokia/

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Well, maybe this is a good premise for "plan B" deployment.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

Tags
espionage, trojan man