Active Topics

Saching007, the switcher location on top left corner is perfect, in particular in closed mode (if it was at the bottom, your left hand thumb would have much more difficulty reaching it comfortably). In open mode, you can just hit ctrl + backspace to get to the app switcher.

Gadgity, +1. Still, I would hope a bit more maturity in style (and fairly often in substance too) even from Sr1329...

The Following User Says Thank You to Viipottaja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Hafnia
Congrats on your new N900, not jealous at all .

Just a few small questions:

1. It it possible to sync with PC and latest OVI Suite?
2. Some how (maybe in settings) possible to arrange the icons in the main menu to your own likings?

Have one on pre-order, but think it will be here earliest some time early December, man can't wait for this little monster to arrive, is a big fan of the N800/N810 devices, and Maemo (best mobile browser out there).

BTW. Resistive rocks .

The Following User Says Thank You to whc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I am totally digging my N900. I have to admit though I agree to a certain extent with the claims of a lack of polish in the UI. For a lot of basic usability it seems like a really awesome prototype. I'm sure I'll get more than my money's worth in nerding out with my N900, but I think mainstream users (the masses that iPhone has snatched up) will find glaring issues they don't understand.

For example:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...n_imap_server/

This is being looked at for Harmattan. As an end-user I have to say I feel like it's absurd that the email client doesn't do this properly. Hell the account setup wizard lists .Mac as a service, how long ago did Apple rebrand that?

While I love this phone and am nerd-raging all over it. It is definitely a stepping stone. Thus I couldn't recommend it to everyone, and would have to properly inform people who I might recommend it to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Como, Italy
I don't have the device yet but from what I have read so far the device has a steep learning curve at first, and NOKIA is not making it easier for the users. It's up to the community to provide that I guess but it will be a while as the documentation catches up.

Other than that, I hope that the email and the maps application is working seamlessly. For me N900's selling point is the browser, and the unhindered linux behind. However, from such an expensive device I expect things like maps and email to be working seamlessly if not perfectly. I don't mnd the learning curve, or some of the shortcomings because of the device's internet tablet background those are a given tbh (and the shortcomings usually come with positive points as well)

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
There is a thread on Howard Forums now with the first impressions of a new user >> http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...3&page=1&pp=15

He apparently is a former iPhone user and along with the usual canard about screen technology, he has some pretty negative impressions. I suspect many are wrong though so your thoughts may help me in constructing a decent response.

His reaction is as I feared and posted some months ago... Because of the N900's price and the perception that this is Nokia's top of the line phone, new user expectations will be high.

The biggest hurdles will be what the iPhone and the press for the most part have conditioned some to believe; that in order for a smartphone to work it needs an app store and, if you want a web based service you need a specific app for it.

I for one want to be the "smart" part of this equation and not the dang phone.

Many of the services I need are unique and I want a device that will allow me to connect to them without waiting for an app to be "Developed". The web works for me that way on my desktop and it should work that way with my future phone.

With a little effort, I was able to set this up with my N810 so I have no doubt the same can also be done with the N900.

Again, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Hello YoMod,

It's me!

I think you have this all wrong. I don't need an app store and nowhere did I complain about the lack of one. Also I don't care for portrait mode either. It would be nice, but I can live without.

However the e-mail support in this device as you've read is very 2004 ish. If you can't search e-mail you really can't effectively use e-mail in the 2009 era. I know it will come (I don't think even Nokia is too stupid to know that) but when? Even S60 has search feature albeit poor.

You assume far too much just because a person uses an iPhone doesn't indicate anything about their technical knowledge or IQ. I use it because it is extremely reliable and offers a good browser and good e-mail support. Those two things alone are why I use it. I don't care for app store or any of the little gimmicks of that device.

I suggest you don't go out there and assume. At the end of the day I could be very happy with an E71 + Roadsync if it didn't restart in the middle of phone calls.

Originally Posted by smage View Post
I don't have the device yet but from what I have read so far the device has a steep learning curve at first, and NOKIA is not making it easier for the users. It's up to the community to provide that I guess but it will be a while as the documentation catches up.

Other than that, I hope that the email and the maps application is working seamlessly. For me N900's selling point is the browser, and the unhindered linux behind. However, from such an expensive device I expect things like maps and email to be working seamlessly if not perfectly. I don't mnd the learning curve, or some of the shortcomings because of the device's internet tablet background those are a given tbh (and the shortcomings usually come with positive points as well)

You know, it's ironic that you mention e-mail and maps, Those are the two areas of this device that need work. The browser is great and with Adblock it's like a dream come true!

But Maps takes 25-30 seconds to just load and its a pretty cumbersome interface. The compass rotation is slow and stutters. To get to search (which is the number one thing people do with a mapping application) you need to go into 2 levels of menus. Maps is a beta product. It also slows down and freezes for moments.

E-mail actually runs fine. It's snappy and pretty good. But it lacks simple e-mail search. That is a problem. No other platform lacks that now including S60.

I like the fact that you can use keyboard shortcuts as if it were desktop linux. So some things are great, but Maps is unfinished and you will see that when you get yours. E-mail needs a modern feature set.

UI and interface are perfectly fine. Not as responsive as others but functional just the same. I think capacitive screen type would bring it right up to par or exceed it.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
I read sr1329's tale and I believe sr1328 does him/herself a disservice by using very semantically loaded words, and right of the bat more or less dismissing the N900.

That said, my first thought when reading sr1329, was "Nokia, pick this up, learn from it, adapt." If there are criticisms and comments that could be applied to offer a better device, or a better interface, well use it.
speaking of sr1329's posts, you are right that it's emotionally charged. You are right that he very quickly got into a reactionary position with the N900.

I posted in that thread. My view is that his perspective is anchored in the past. Sure, Nokia should learn from all feedback. But Nokia is being bold enough to do something no major handset manufacturer was brave enough to try. They are looking forward, so there is a limit to how much they should conform to the criticisms of some guy who's view is so rigidly dominated by his prior experiences with Nokia in the past and with phones he has used in the past.

IMO, the main requirement for enjoying the N900 is being flexible and adaptable because this is the beginning of something new. It is still in the formative stages.

If we let opinions like sr1329's dominate, it might just kill off this wildly promising new thing. Fortunately, Ari Jaaksi doesn't mind taking some calculated risks.
http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2009/11/m...art-of-it.html
His vision is one that could change the world. sr1329's criticism is simply small-minded.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Just now I received a call. When I looked at the phone it was a blank screen. It glitched and it took about 5 seconds to show the actual answer button. Do you think people want to deal with this kind of thing?

You have grand visions of FOSS changing the world and freeing us of our dependence on money grubbing corporations and proprietary software. I respect that, but seriously you couldn't get people to care unless and until you package it right.

You linux chest thumpers will never understand that. Has even one Linux desktop distribution taken greater than 3% marketshare? Analyze the situation and learn from it if you want FOSS to succeed in the mobile space. Instead of criticizing the user's perspective, understand it. That is the only way you can pull off what you want to pull off.

Start with getting rid of the BS elitist attitude. That would be step one.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
I think capacitive screen type would bring it right up to par or exceed it.
Since you've used both designs, why would you prefer capacitative? As I understand it, the pros are that it allows multitouch, and it doesn't require any pressure to use, whereas the cons are that you lose precision and the ability to use the screen with anything other than a bare fingertip (so no nails, no stylus). On the face of it that doesn't sound like a good trade-off, particularly on a device like the N900 which will likely run quite a lot of apps (desktop ports and web apps) not designed specifically for a fingers only interface.

Clearly, on something like the iPhone that lacks a separate keyboard the multitouch is useful for things like game controls (though at the cost of having the user's thumbs obscure the display), but I what would capacitative add to the N900?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
Hello YoMod,

It's me!

I think you have this all wrong. I don't need an app store and nowhere did I complain about the lack of one. Also I don't care for portrait mode either. It would be nice, but I can live without.

However the e-mail support in this device as you've read is very 2004 ish. If you can't search e-mail you really can't effectively use e-mail in the 2009 era. I know it will come (I don't think even Nokia is too stupid to know that) but when? Even S60 has search feature albeit poor.

You assume far too much just because a person uses an iPhone doesn't indicate anything about their technical knowledge or IQ. I use it because it is extremely reliable and offers a good browser and good e-mail support. Those two things alone are why I use it. I don't care for app store or any of the little gimmicks of that device.

I suggest you don't go out there and assume. At the end of the day I could be very happy with an E71 + Roadsync if it didn't restart in the middle of phone calls.
Welcome aboard!

I didn't assume a dang thing about you in that thread or this one. I first posted here to help understand your position better. I did generalize in this thread as I referred to general remarks that I made on this forum some months ago. I thanked everyone for their input and then posted about it yonder, including links to this thread.

I also did not suggest in anyway what you should or shouldn't do based on those generalizations.

I do believe what you say about e-mail support is true and I'm glad you chose to join maemo.org in order to make those issues known.
I generally don't presume anything about a persons intelligence but if I did, your decision to join us here to expand on these N900 issues would have more bearing than anything else.

Have fun!

...Oh, and my username is YoDude and I do not moderate these boards...

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-11-22 at 19:18. Reason: their for there

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny