Active Topics

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
because the ecosystem its doing miracles for windows phone and it puny 1.5m sales?
I think we'll have to see untill 2Q 2012 if WP7 is a fail or a win. My bet is going day by day towards win. All the major tech blogs gave Mango really good reviews. Mindshare is really soon in the level of good sales push. Christmas sales are going to be crucial for Elop and Ballmer.

I just don't know where Meltemi fits in Nokia's strategy. I think it would be more logical to put in the ultra high-end of phone/something totally new in mobile space. 100-200 € price range just feels somehow so wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to bbin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Rich featurephones? Wonder what that means.
Devices that used to run Symbian.

My guess is that Meltemi will be very similar to Android in how it uses Linux kernel - just as an enablement layer to glue Qt/QML on a hardware. Not a "real" Linux distribution you excite of.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Devices that used to run Symbian.

My guess is that Meltemi will be very similar to Android in how it uses Linux kernel - just as an enablement layer to glue Qt/QML on a hardware. Not a "real" Linux distribution you excite of.
I have same kind of hunch but that would mean competing with WP7?

Is it a backup plan which could be pushed to lower range if needed (WP7 succeeds or not)?

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
I have same kind of hunch but that would mean competing with WP7?

Is it a backup plan which could be pushed to lower range if needed (WP7 succeeds or not)?
For Nokia it was always S40 for featurephones and S60 for smartphones.
Now Meltemi for featurephones and WP for smartphones?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
For Nokia it was always S40 for featurephones and S60 for smartphones.
Now Meltemi for featurephones and WP for smartphones?
Which is of course a stupid dinstinction. They can't say its for smartphones because that would "conflict" with their wp7 strategy in the eyes of industry analysists. Nokia news today are being filtered by microsofts ministry of truth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
True that. They just need to freaking communicate the future of Qt lot better! Developers have no clear idea of the future of Qt.

Idiotic to keep Qt's future in secrecy.
how about the blogs at:

http://labs.qt.nokia.com

and:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devel...ping/#!Android

and:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I think we'll have to see untill 2Q 2012 if WP7 is a fail or a win. My bet is going day by day towards win. All the major tech blogs gave Mango really good reviews. Mindshare is really soon in the level of good sales push. Christmas sales are going to be crucial for Elop and Ballmer.

I just don't know where Meltemi fits in Nokia's strategy. I think it would be more logical to put in the ultra high-end of phone/something totally new in mobile space. 100-200 € price range just feels somehow so wrong.
Man, i could SWEAR (and I often do swear! hehe) that we were told as soon as Windows Phone 7 was releases, that we should give it a few months to a year to prove itself before we can truly call it a failure.

It's been months now--and nearly a year. Can we finally just admit it yet?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
............. All the major tech blogs said mango finally brings a while bunch of stuff that it should have had from the very beginning and still has a long way to go.
There. fixed that for you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Man, i could SWEAR (and I often do swear! hehe) that we were told as soon as Windows Phone 7 was releases, that we should give it a few months to a year to prove itself before we can truly call it a failure.

It's been months now--and nearly a year. Can we finally just admit it yet?
A few more weeks and WP is one year old.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...aunch_partners

And btw, MS is still losing marketshare in smartphones month after month.

Edit: I meant that devices have been for sale for a year.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
...MS is still losing marketshare in smartphones month after month.
Doesn't matter, still way too early in the mobile battle. MS has more cards to play, a good long-range strategy and LOTSA money to spend. They are determined, well financed bulldogs. It will be at least 2 years after Windows 8 is released before remotely meaningful conclusions can be made regarding the eventual success or failure of WinPhone. Check back in 4-5 years.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:

Tags
deb & mitm, deb obsoleted, deb rox, dumbphones, linux, linuxmelting, meltemi, rpm sux