Active Topics

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Italy
does anybody remember the first six month of the iphone? before installer? the phone its was really little more than a proto, the keyboard waschunky and so on...

the problem here are expectation. too high. this phone did not jump here from year 2100. but since now is one of the best 1.0 piece of hardware. in 5 weeks we will have tons of decent app... and so... yes it is not perfect but it will be. And if you preord one is because you wanna be part of the ongoing optimization...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Endri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Montreal
I don't have it yet but i am flying to get in in the Chicago Flagship store at the same time as i'll be visiting my friend there and i am glad to get it even it has some issues or not.

Yes Nokia could've work on the UI better to get into the competition on their First release of the Maemo 5 platform while Android and IPhone had quite some years to perfect their same OS's, but having waited 2 months of delays, i just wanna have the device in my hands and let Nokia and those who can figure out what else we need to complete it... I was already a wreck knowing people had the pre-production devices in their hands and imagine how those were supposed to be...

If anyone wants a perfect UI for this device, then they should wait for a 2nd or 3rd version increment or something before considering getting the device. I, on the other hand, would like it now and will enjoy it until i can enjoy it even more and morer...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Here we go some real life scrolling in the browser, flash off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8JeLKKfDDM

If you want a comparative iPhone vid I can do that too but I think it's pretty much self explanatory. I might cover the actual OS later.

As far as the unit being defective...come on...seriously.
Looks like the issue is that you aren't used to using a resistive touchscreen more than anything else. Honestly, your video actually shows scrolling working quite well for the most part.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Looks like the issue is that you aren't used to using a resistive touchscreen more than anything else. Honestly, your video actually shows scrolling working quite well for the most part.
Really? How about the browser taking 1-2 seconds to load the page as you scroll...does that have to do with a resistive touchscreen too?

Anyway, somebody pointed out that the iPhone wasn't perfect when it came out which is totally true. Unfortunately though, Nokia has a history of not fixing anything and coming out with the next phone or version we're supposed to buy. Watch, 6 months down the road it'll be Maemo6 with smooth scrolling and another 600$ price tag.

If this community can solve some of the issues this phone (that's exactly what it is) has then kudos to you. However, I still think that Nokia should be fixing their own stuff, not somebody who does this on the side, for free.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megacrazy For This Useful Post:
jesus..

come on..

who really would be scrolling at THAT speed?! makes no sense whatsoever... the first 30% you show normal scrolling speed and it performs just fine..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raubtier For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
I don't seem to understand why there seems to be a tinge of fanboy-ism in some of the replies. Megacrazy has raised very valid points, about how a normal consumer will feel about the device. And people who think that a 10 15 minute fiddle with the device is enough to tell all about it aren't entirely correct.

Yes I love the phone, but it feels very beta-ish after you use it extensively. Yes I know, that it is the culture we live in. Sell now debug later.

The iPhone does have a very very polished albeit limited UI. But just beacuse maemo5 is more advanced that doesn't give Nokia an excuse not to have gotten it right. (Not comparing functionalities)

I've used the phone now for 4 days now and I'l list out some of the problems I encountered

Browser
1. Crashes every 15 minutes or so, I guess because I switch back and forth every min between windows. Bad nokia
2. History is a painfully slow method to go back a page. Nokia needs to provide forward and back buttons in the UI
3. History, open in new window, the menu(tap and hold) stop working randomly.
4. Lots and lots of checkered patterns while scrolling and esp after you start scrolling after zooming in.
5. I have a habit of opening a new window and going back to the previous page instantly(via the task switcher). All that happens is a 2-10 second delay before the page responds/scrolls again.
6. Some of the new window(in point 5) doesn't load completely when I do come back to it and have to wait 3-10 seconds again for it to load. This is a bad when the phone is billed as mutitasking
7. Links click(finger and stylus) but the browser doesn't seem to respond once in a while.
8. I like the volume control to zoom in and out, but then I have no means to control the volume easily when playing a flash video. try youtube and just see how microscopic the volume links are.
9. Drop down lists are very laggy while scrolling.
10. The address bar gives suggestions whenever it pleases. A reboot later it seems to remember all the website I have visited before
11. Once in a while if I click the address bar and start typing away the contact search opens up

Music Player
1. Stutters often while browsing the web side by side.
2. Scrolling just feels laggy at times. Nokia really needs to pick up the slack here and everywhere else kinetic scrolling is implemented

General
1. The pdf reader really needs kinetic scrolling.
2. I don't know if its relevant in every country or not. But the contacts application gives me an option to send a text msg to landlines. I atleast want an option to turn it off.
3. To swipe the screens the finger has to be moved a lot before the screens move.
4. The phone tells me to remove the charger as the battery is full after I have done so
5. The rotation sensor for the phone app is flaky, from standby I've literally had to shake the phone while holding it to get it to start. But once it starts it switches orientation perfectly as needed.

Weird Bugs
1. I downloaded a couple of pics from the internet, saved them in the gallery. then later deleted them from the gallery. But I was left with some pictures(with black thumbnails). If I tried to delete these the phone said they didn't exist or something and didn't do anything. I downloaded the pics again and deleted the pics. it worked then
2. The conversation app is showing 2 entries from my call logs and I still cant delete them

Hardware thoughts
1. There has to be ctrl, shift, and the symbol key on the other side of the keyboard. Its a pain trying to do lets say ctrl+a.
2. The build quality is fine. But I've been a E-series user for a long time and this seems like a step down.
3. The screen could have been brighter
4. Single touch makes it a pain to type fast on the on-screen keyboard. I wish it was resistive multi touch. I dont like capacitive
5. Battery is just about adequate. Nokia should have put the 1500mAH battery.
6. A lil hardware(send & end) buttons would be nice. Just makes it easier to use the phone.

I still love the phone, I do. The promises it holds, the browser's capabilities(not the stability as of yet), the community behind it. and I hope most of the bugs would be resolved as soon as possible in the coming updates.

No point I suppose in discussing the third party apps, and the things the phone can't do, like lack of mms which I really do need sadly cause I still knowingly bought the phone

PS: this is my first post on the forum, been following it for a month or two now. But was too lazy to register . So a hi to all.

btw could somebody guide me how to get rid of the damn conversation entries without formatting the phone???

and NO I wont sell my phone

Last edited by un-named_user; 2009-11-24 at 21:19.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to un-named_user For This Useful Post:

If you want a comparative iPhone vid I can do that too but I think it's pretty much self explanatory. I might cover the actual OS later.

Let me say this as an (ex-)iPhone User..
The Browser's performance isn't bad, seriously.

The Following User Says Thank You to brog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland

Okay... And your problem is...?

I just see a an ex capacitive screen user making silly taps on a resistive screen and browsing a site with too much zoom in -- rendering gets slow at times but really nothing too bad at that zoom level.

What I would really like to see is that you take that iphone and n900 side by side, clear the cache and make a test about speed and content being showed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bbin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Really? How about the browser taking 1-2 seconds to load the page as you scroll...does that have to do with a resistive touchscreen too?

Anyway, somebody pointed out that the iPhone wasn't perfect when it came out which is totally true. Unfortunately though, Nokia has a history of not fixing anything and coming out with the next phone or version we're supposed to buy. Watch, 6 months down the road it'll be Maemo6 with smooth scrolling and another 600$ price tag.

If this community can solve some of the issues this phone (that's exactly what it is) has then kudos to you. However, I still think that Nokia should be fixing their own stuff, not somebody who does this on the side, for free.
At normal zoom on Engadget with flash *on*, I may get the occasional small stutter when scrolling down the page quickly but that's about it. I don't generally zoom in, but it makes sense that it will take maybe a little more time to render than normal. Remember, this is a mobile device... it's not a 4 core monster. It's not perfect, but it's still really damn good when compared to almost every other mobile device out there.

(By the way, I often see the same scrolling jitters when using the iPhone as well.)

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
What I would really like to see is that you take that iphone and n900 side by side, clear the cache and make a test about speed and content being showed.
And that wouldn't even be a fair comparison since the N900 will render everything and the iphone won't.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
close me please, cry me a river, delete me, old thread, worstthreadever