Active Topics

Some people want continuous on-line usage with im and skype etc.

I think for me it would be enough if the device could connect once in hour to check my e-mail. So what I mean, I don't even want to be connected 24/7. People will be pitying me if I would be all the time available at msn.

Am hearing you on that one!

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
I think i will be fine, i mean...i use my device only during the day. When i go to sleep (usually midnight-9am), it's on, but idle, no tasks running, nothing, so it can "sleep" (btw, does the N900 support some kind of sleep mode?) and save energy. When I wake up, i charge it for 1 hour and then i go off somewhere, using the device from that point (10am - 10pm) - 12 active hours, doing random things - on daily basis: browsing, im, music, videos, games, calls, sms + when i need to: gps, pictures, fm, documents... That being said, i think i will be very happy.

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by hosico View Post
Some people want continuous on-line usage with im and skype etc.

I think for me it would be enough if the device could connect once in hour to check my e-mail. So what I mean, I don't even want to be connected 24/7. People will be pitying me if I would be all the time available at msn.
I'm an active user :P I'm going to be using IM all day (with emails, but I"m debating if I want push email on the phone or just sync every 20 minutes or every 30. I don't know.). Music & IM

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
For the record, "being online all day" is hardly what I'd consider active use, and you can seriously expect a few days of battery life doing only that.

The kind of "active use" I mean is "calculating decimals of Pi", or playing fullscreen 3D games without sleep.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
For the record, "being online all day" is hardly what I'd consider active use, and you can seriously expect a few days of battery life doing only that.

The kind of "active use" I mean is "calculating decimals of Pi", or playing fullscreen 3D games without sleep.
Are you serious? Lol. I've had SOOO many phones in the past 18 months, more than 12. And NONE of them have gotten close to a Blackberry, and with my blackberry bold with a 624 mhz processor can't get me more than 5-6 hours of ACTIVE use (without turning off teh screen) and it's a 2.6 inch screen, 1500 mah battery and a VERY efficient compression and radio transmission. with ALL my other phones I never got more than 8 hours on GPRS.

From what people say about the N900, they're getting 3-4 hours of the screen being on. I doubt with what you call "days" of online chatting will surpass more than 4-5 hours :P of continuous talking (on gprs)

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
Are you serious?
Yes. Instead of previous experience on other platforms, search for previous experience on Maemo: days using Wi-Fi and X-Chat.

Of course, you're not going to keep the screen nor the processor 24h on while "chatting". You do pauses, and that's were all those "power saving schmigangs" work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Yes. Instead of previous experience on other platforms, search for previous experience on Maemo: days using Wi-Fi and X-Chat.

Of course, you're not going to keep the screen nor the processor 24h on while "chatting". You do pauses, and that's were all those "power saving schmigangs" work.
24 hours no, but for at least an hour at a time. I commute to work and school, and I have an hour each way, and not to mention dead time. I catch up on emails, instant messaging all while listening to music :P

Now that we have 300 more N900s out in the wild, how's the battery life from the summit people said that if you aren't using it, it doesn't drain very much. How about those that are going clickity click all day at the summit on the n900 :P? How's the battery life now with a near shipment n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to zkyevolved For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
No complaints probably is a good thing.

}:^)~

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
If the N900 ships with a car charger (one that plugs into a cigarette jack basically) then I'm all set as I'll just keep it in my Jeep and charge it like I currently do my n800

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor