Active Topics

Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
~3Mbps for EDR isn't it?
Yes, you're right. Sorry, I forgot the N810 supported BT 2.0. 3Mbps.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
To expand on the full-face screen: we don't have multitouch, and we're not likely to have it any time soon. I'd like to be able to play Quake on my IT without having to carry a bluetooth keyboard everywhere, as such, the full-faced screen is both a bad idea and a good way to reduce overall usability.
But we *do* have a pullout keypad with cursor and keys (N810).

So, if this (the pullout keypad) is to be a feature on the N900, then a full-face screen is neither a 'bad idea' nor a 'good way to reduce overall usability' as you'll have more than enough buttons on the keypad to keep you satiated; much more than could ever be comfortably crammed on device front.

I'd like to be able to play Quake on my IT without having to carry a bluetooth keyboard everywhere
I have very similar views regarding mobile internet.. More on that soon..

}:^)~
YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
But we *do* have a pullout keypad with cursor and keys (N810).
Another feature I'd personally like to see left out of the N900, especially as it seems to mean the lack of dual SD slots.

I have very similar views regarding mobile internet.. More on that soon..
Which is just wonderful for you, but no IT device can manage to replace a dedicated cellphone for a lot of reasons which I (and others) have been over in this and other threads many times. Suffice to say that battery life, size (and ergonomics), access (WIMAX will never have the coverage of GSM), and durability all factor into my desire to have a separate phone.

I don't want the convergance device everybody seems to think would be cool. The technology just isn't up to snuff for that yet (and wont be for many years).

Let me start out by saying, I'm not set on WiMAX per se. I intended WiMAX to refer to standardized wireless (and mobile) internet. It just seems as though WiMAX is heading in this direction. In the future I'll respond with "mobile internet."

Originally Posted by prosthetic View Post
I hope the phone will remain the primary bridge, and its bandwidth will simply continue to increase.
...from a previous post.

And hence the reason for the short-range high-speed connectivity that exists now. For most, that's the "current" solution. For remote access, we have 1Mbps bluetooth to another device that potentially has "high-speed" internet connectivity. Sounds reasonable to me.
Of course, until you remember that the thread and the conversation is geared towards a "future" solution, and not the "current" one.

Requiring a phone to provide mobile internet access to a device (N900) thats sole purpose is to connect to the internet especially if widespread mobile internet technologies exist, is really, really silly. I'd rather my mobile internet device have the ability to connect to the internet without requiring external devices.

For those that have the modern phones with data plans (I've already mentioned) this feature likely won't be as big deal to you; you already have mobile internet. But the jury's still deciding weather requiring a phone for mobile internet is superior to having the capability (WiMAX or other) built into the tablet itself.

Sure, everyone wants it all in one device. I guess that means every device should have such redundant capabilities. Hmm...
Are you being sarcastic? Many devices *already* have redundant capabilities (phones/tablets included). It just so happens that some perform their capabilities better than others.

The devices value to an individual is determined by how closely the device meets the users needs.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

~3Mbps for EDR isn't it? And I agree completely, mobile data technology is moving in leaps and bounds, and the networks themselves are moving in seemingly random directions sometimes. Do you want the N900 to support EDGE? UMTS? HSPDA? WiMAX? or to support BT and linking to a cheap(er) device that supports the data technology most appropriate to the part of the world you live in, and the network you connect via.
Good point.

I should not have stated WiMAX specifically, but "standardized mobile data" with the ubiquity of GSM. In this case, yes, I would like at least one standard supported on the N900 if it remains a viable, cost-effective solution.

I agree. In the event that the market remains fragmented with different mobile data technologies, then an external device (or upgrade slot) would be the most appropriate solution. Future consumer devices will probably predict this trend.

Now, if WiMAX ever makes it to where I live (without being superseded) then I'm sure I'll want it, but until then I'm more than happy with BT and a phone
Of course. I would be too!

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

I should not have stated WiMAX specifically, but "standardized mobile data" with the ubiquity of GSM. In this case, yes, I would like at least one standard supported on the N900 if it remains a viable, cost-effective solution.
Then the N900 isn't what you should be discussing. The mobile data market outside of handset data is just now emerging, so a solution an ubiquitous does not and will not exist in the lifetime of the N900. Because of this, WIMAX on the device is mostly just going to be a waste of time and money.

Scope and timeframe are important issues. Yes, ubiquitous mobile data is a good idea, and, yes, I'd like to see it implemented in future ITs—but not before the market gets to a point where it isn't going to be more than a fancy decoration (especially for those of us with data plans).

As I stated above: I intended WiMAX to refer to standardized wireless (and mobile) internet. It just seems as though WiMAX is heading in this direction. In the future I'll respond with "mobile internet."

Which is just wonderful for you, but no IT device can manage to replace a dedicated cellphone for a lot of reasons which I (and others) have been over in this and other threads many times. Suffice to say that battery life, size (and ergonomics), access (WIMAX will never have the coverage of GSM), and durability all factor into my desire to have a separate phone.
You misinterpreted my response and jumped to an incorrect conclusion. I'm not asking to 'replace' the mobile phone (although personally, I would likely do this). I'm simply saying that like you: I wouldn't want to lug around an external bluetooth keyboard to play quake *and* I wouldn't want to lug around an external bluetooth phone to connect to the internet with my mobile internet device. Perhaps today, but certainly not in a future device, if standardized mobile data access exists.

I don't want the convergance device everybody seems to think would be cool. The technology just isn't up to snuff for that yet (and wont be for many years).
This isn't about convergence directly, but about internal mobile internet connectivity on a speculative device.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Then the N900 isn't what you should be discussing. The mobile data market outside of handset data is just now emerging, so a solution an ubiquitous does not and will not exist in the lifetime of the N900. Because of this, WIMAX on the device is mostly just going to be a waste of time and money.
This isn't a valid argument. You need to state the timeframe of the N900 and the timeframe of WiMAX to add much needed cogency to this argument.

Scope and timeframe are important issues. Yes, ubiquitous mobile data is a good idea, and, yes, I'd like to see it implemented in future ITs—but not before the market gets to a point where it isn't going to be more than a fancy decoration (especially for those of us with data plans).
I agree 100% with this. Since this is a speculative thread with no hard N900 release dates, I think we're on the same page.

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

I agree 100% with this. Since this is a speculative thread with no hard N900 release dates, I think we're on the same page.
I think, now, we come to the basis of our disagreement over mobile internet—semantics:

The N900 is probably coming around Q2 2008, too early for good WIMAX coverage. Because of this, I don't think it's appropriate to discuss WIMAX as a feature for the mainstream N900 model (a Sprint-branded specialty model might be something different). Perhaps "future NITs" should be substituted here.

As we've already established, WIMAX hasn't become the ubiquitous standard (and with recent shake-ups in Sprint, it might never), so "mobile internet" is a much better term.

The mobile date features you're discussing go beyond the N900's timeframe, this is where most of my disagreement with you arose.

I think, now, we come to the basis of our disagreement over mobile internet—semantics:

The N900 is probably coming around Q2 2008, too early for good WIMAX coverage. Because of this, I don't think it's appropriate to discuss WIMAX as a feature for the mainstream N900 model (a Sprint-branded specialty model might be something different). Perhaps "future NITs" should be substituted here.

As we've already established, WIMAX hasn't become the ubiquitous standard (and with recent shake-ups in Sprint, it might never), so "mobile internet" is a much better term.

The mobile date features you're discussing go beyond the N900's timeframe, this is where most of my disagreement with you arose.
Agreed. In hindsight, I should have paid more attention to my first post (namely: step 4 out of 5, and realistic) when speculating the N900's future "mobile internet" capabilities. Although I'd like to see it, I agree, that it's likely not realistic to expect it in late 2008.

In any case, I still love you, man!

There's a least one company manufacturing Wi-Fi radios in 2GB SD cards, so it would be nice if the N900 will have an upgrade slot (SD or other) and cards to provide additional connectivity options (GSM, WiMAX, WiBro, etc) for those that want more coverage and/or convergence!

YARR!

Capt'n Corrupt

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2007-11-04 at 18:24.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist