Active Topics

Poll: Who will ship first?
Poll Options
Who will ship first?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Q4 definitely seems to be the word on release. Nokians have had beta hardware units since the beginning of the year so I am confused why it would take so long to ship. Unless of course they are avoiding conflict with the N97 which seems like is more and more likely my next 'tablet'.

This is because Nokia has a business model and a plan, which is much more than can be said for Pandora...
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I am REALLY HOPING that the end-of-year "The Street" magazine article quoted by frank.wagner is totally wrong. I can tell you that if Nokia waits until Q4 to release the RX-51, I will be furious with them.

I still have my hopes up for June 21. I need it to be that date.

I think Nokia needs to have the first Maemo 5 device released before the mid-September Summit. And I think they know that.

EDIT: I just added a link to the original article because I believe that it is worded in such a way that if Nokia releases their first Maemo device in the summer (as most of us fanbois are hoping), the article will appear to be just plain wrong, despite what some quibblers might post below.

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-15 at 00:14.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I am REALLY HOPING that the end-of-year "The Street" magazine article quoted by frank.wagner is totally wrong. I can tell you that if Nokia waits until Q4 to release the RX-51, I will be furious with them.
Well, there are a number of simple answers that don't require that. The first and foremost is multiple tablets. We know they've got more than one design in there, so what makes us sure that the one that blogger saw and talked about wasn't, say, an RX-71 that would be shipping a few months after the RX-51 release?

Really, the whole reason Nokia dropped Elephanta was to step up Fremantle activity and move it up the timeline a bit (by about ~6 months) so dropping the lead they gained by doing that seems . . . silly. 7 or 8 months between the beta release and the final release just seems ridiculous to me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Q4 definitely seems to be the word on release. Nokians have had beta hardware units since the beginning of the year so I am confused why it would take so long to ship. Unless of course they are avoiding conflict with the N97 which seems like is more and more likely my next 'tablet'.
I find it hard to believe that Nokia would hold onto hardware for basically a year and the software which seems we'll see in a fairly final beta form at the end of the month until Q4.

They would go from one of the first shippers of OMAP3 processor device(s) to a me too.

The Following User Says Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
According to this new blog post http://www.openpandora.org/blog.php
Pandora is looking at getting the units out in the beginning of June. THis could be possible for Nokia if they get the beta out soon enough. If Nokia is really wanting to meet the market to beat the mass release of OMAP 3 devices such as Palm Pre (supposed to be out in mid-may), they're going to need to be on their game. Personally, I'd rather they wait till July or so, to have Maemo 5 free of bugs, which seems like a reasonable timeline.

In other words, my prediction is Palm Pre in late May, Pandora in Mid to late June, RX-51 in early to Mid July.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
This is because Nokia has a business model and a plan, which is much more than can be said for Pandora...
Sure. Just like the business model and plan used for the N810 WiMax. Brilliant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F1shb0ne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by F1shb0ne View Post
You may not like what they have done, but more planning went into that, than into the entire pandora console. Poor planning is still better than NO planning.

Although I am unsure if Pandora did "NO" planning, I am sure they knew that they could never meet the deadlines they set. Which means they are nothing more than scam artists, and until useable units are delivered, I will hold this opinion.

Pandora is like Wimpy's evil twin!
Would you gladly pay me today, for a hamburger I will deliver next thursday??
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by F1shb0ne View Post
The thing is, the RX-51 isn't relying on anybody else to implement a good infrastructure to use it. The infrastructure (GSM) is already in place.

Nokia pulled the plug on the N810W because Sprint couldn't manage to get their WiMAX infrastructure together (and, really, still hasn't) and Nokia didn't want Sprint's bungling to reflect badly on their brand.

There's nothing in the N810W story to compare to the RX-51. It's a flawed comparison.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-04-18 at 03:09. Reason: Yoda I am not

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The WiMAX story is complex. My perception of it is 1) as reponse to Nokia N810WME pulled a different, WiMAX tablet-like device is released with ATOM & Windows Vista or something like that to be combined with Clearwire 2) WiFi <-> WiMAX modems are used to deliver backwards compatibility instead of on-board WiMAX compatible devices.

Originally Posted by qole View Post

I still have my hopes up for June 21. I need it to be that date.

I think Nokia needs to have the first Maemo 5 device released before the mid-September Summit. And I think they know that.

EDIT: I just added a link to the original article because I believe that it is worded in such a way that if Nokia releases their first Maemo device in the summer (as most of us fanbois are hoping), the article will appear to be just plain wrong, despite what some quibblers might post below.
I feel your pain what are indicators though? The SDK? Other product releases?

July will be the month of Nokia N97. Nokia N97 looks to me like heavily based design on Nokia N810 but its unclear what type of CPU Nokia N97 will contain, and same for amount RAM. Meanwhile there aren't many OMAP3 devices on market yet.

I'm betting on Maemo Summit lots of demoes and maybe release prototypes to developers and manufacturing starting around that time for Q4. Q4 (before Christmas) is right after the Maemo Summit (mid september).

Something else. EU is pissed off at mobile providers blocking (by contract or technically) Skype and VoIP. They're threatening mobile providers to outlaw this blocking by law. As we're maturing to all-IP mobile devices this comes in the advantage to devices like tablets. How this influences competitive HSPA data-only options in Europe is an exciting development to be seen. One to which the next-gen tablet is optimized for.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
July will be the month of Nokia N97. Nokia N97 looks to me like heavily based design on Nokia N810 but its unclear what type of CPU Nokia N97 will contain, and same for amount RAM.
Everything I've heard says ARM11 for the N97.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I'm betting on Maemo Summit lots of demoes and maybe release prototypes to developers and manufacturing starting around that time for Q4. Q4 (before Christmas) is right after the Maemo Summit (mid september).
I don't buy this for a second. 7-8 months between a beta and a release is pure silliness.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
burtflitter, chinese food, christmas, christmas 2013, christmas 2666, credit card fraud, dnf, fata morgana, lies, omap3, pandora, pandora != real, pandora hoax, pandora is going to ship?, pandora v linear time war, retreating shipdate, ripoff, scam, speculation, virtualbox