Active Topics

Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Sorry, I cannot discuss exact details about future products. Product announcements are done the official way. But you don't need to wait too long anymore.
Awesome

Ultimately the future isn't about any single product. What Maemo does and what kind of devices run Maemo are separate questions.
That's great, but I didn't ask about software. I asked 3 hardware questions.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
because you don't need to sell devices to customers who use them. you need to sell devices to so called journalists. they have no idea what they're writing about, but to make up for this, they agreed on judging products by certain buzzwords they find on the box. these buzzwords change over time, but for now, we have to live with the fact that one of these buzzwords is "touchscreen". (another one is "intuitive". nobody knows what it actually means in regard to an electronic device, but it has to be printed on the box.)
not just touchscreen, thats been around for a while, the current one is capacitive touchscreen...

i fear both the bloggers/journalists and us here on the fan forum is somewhat distant from the joe customer (if such a being exist).

thing is, it seems its easier to make a device with a narrow set of functions, and have the customer adapt his use pattern, then it is to make a open device where anything can be done, in theory.

hell, one can even have the developers adapt, by requiring that they use tools and libs that only expose a set collection of features and abilities. no touching the hardware or os directly...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
That's great, but I didn't ask about software. I asked 3 hardware questions.
And this is why ragnar said

Sorry, I cannot discuss exact details about future products. Product announcements are done the official way.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Well. It's the sum of the total device, of course. The touch screen technology, the physical screen itself (material etc.), and the hardware and software that interprets the signals from the touch screen (the quality of the original signal, how the drivers possibly filter the signal to get something more reasonable etc.).

Out of the mobile devices that are publicly available that I've tried (and I've tried many, for understandable reasons), the latest Apple iPhone for me provides the most comfortable total touch screen user experience, and by some considerable margin. The capacitive screen isn't of course the only piece of the question, but it is an important part nonetheless.
Believe me, I really tried hard, but I cannot disagree on that.

If you set up yourself according to the needs of the hardware (=your fingertips aren't covered), it's by far the best experience as far as the touch screen is concerned. It imposes restrictions, though, on the software. Applications have to adapt to the finger-based UI. Apart from Apple's business modell around all of their products, that's what keeps me from actually using such a thing. (That and their keyboard. Man, I really hate the N800's thumb keyboard, but I'm unable to type even a text message on the Apple VKB...) - I'm not interested in software that's so much restricted by physical UI limitations.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
And this is why ragnar said
No big deal, but you're reading out of context.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
No big deal, but you're reading out of context.
Maybe. I basically see that you are asking Nokia to disclose details about future products (aka hardware) in this thread, and you have two Nokia employees telling you that this won't happen here but in official announcements.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
@qgil

Sorry, I'll try not to be rude by explaining myself better.

Here are some things I'm assuming based on the presentation, Maemo 5 Alpha SDK's,* and forum/IRC rumors:
  • Fremantle will not have a stylus keyboard
  • RX-51 will be OMAP3 based and have a resistive touchscreen that is at least 800x480
  • Fremantle will have a compositing window manager
If all those things are correct, it will be very likey that some form of optionally semi-transparent stylus keyboard could be integrated into the platform. Then this would lead to details about such a keyboard and if it could be ready for product launch. To be fair, I haven't looked that deeply into the Alpha SDK's. But you can bet your a*s I'll be all over the Beta.

If there will be no resistive screen, I can turn my thoughts elsewhere.

I don't think it's too much to ask to know this simple little thing in advance. I actually can, and sometimes do, plan ahead.

*EDIT:

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Maybe. I basically see that you are asking Nokia to disclose details about future products (aka hardware) in this thread, and you have two Nokia employees telling you that this won't happen here but in official announcements.
Well, there I have it.

Last edited by daperl; 2009-04-13 at 21:06.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Watching Kate's presentation, I kept wondering,

What is a compositing window manager?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Compiz for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Compiz for example.
Sounds like practically everything is a compositing window manager these days, from my ignorant reading of the Wikipedia article. Isn't the current Maemo a compositing window manager, too?

Tags
dismantle, fremantle, fremantle summary, kate alhola, kool-aid, no soup for you, presentation, to sylus or not to stylus