Active Topics

Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

Spain my be the program default??

I disabled GPS and Apps, rebooted but my GPS lock is still a good 10km's off from where I am.

What doesn't make sense is that eCoach is able to track my GPS location (when OVI can't find it) very well. OVI maps can get my location correct sometimes but often its miles off.

Without A-GPS the N900 is veerrryyy slow to get GPS lock. If you use OVI maps, it will never get lock. If you use eCoach, it gets lock without A-GPS in 5 minutes or less.

If believe the GPS hardware in the N900 is fine, the OVI maps software appears to be the real bottleneck/problem. I've resorted to just using eCoach for most mapping work for now.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I wasn't sure what GPS thread to pick, so I picked this one.

I would like to confirm something I think I read somewhere.

The question is, how to use the GPS when you don't have an Internet connection.

I was doing that today and it worked fairly well.

I have a Tmobile sim in my N900 but it doesn't give me Internet access.

At first I couldn't get the GPS to work at all.

Then, sort of by coincidence, I took out the Sim.

It started working!

Later I realized that I could do the same thing by, in Settings, changing Internet connections to Always Ask INSTEAD OF my usual setting of Connect automatically. I tried that, and it also fixed GPS without an Internet connection.

So, if you are having trouble making your GPS work, change the connect setting to Always Ask and see if that solves the problem. I found GPS working quite well, the only problem is that I don't have very good maps set up, but of course I can download more...

By the way, another problem I had with GPS (which had worked ok when I first got my N900 -- and didn't have a Sim yet) was solved by formatting my eMMC.

Want to save current GPS position. how to do that?
Help Required.

Regards

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Hello peoples before a few days I bough N900. The phone is very cool but I have a little problem with 'Ovi Maps' : From control panel I turn off 'Network tracking' and when I`m walking on the street and when I turn it on the software tell me "No GPS signal" Before 2 days I install 'GPSJinni' and when I started it I see that I have a few satellites with more than 75% coverage, but OVI maps again told me "No GPS signal". Did some one have the same problem?

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Hi, My GPS can't lock my position anymore so i cant use sygic,maps or ecoach. The whole thing started when I closed sygic during navigation. Now, its only trying to connect. any suggestions? possible to debug the gps
I never can use my GSP, and have SYGIC.
It dont lock, i tested for 10 minuts.
3\4 satelites max.

Whats the problem, i'lll apreciate help

I tried everything posted at https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7026 with no result. I had more than 6 satellites in a view and still could not get a gps lock. When I tried to use the network positioning it showed that I am somewhere in eastern Siberia I was about to go to the service centre, but then tried to re-flash the device.
Amazingly, it worked!

However, after 3 days of happy use of my gps I can't a get a lock again or again I'am in Siberia. I have installed a number of apps since re-flashing, it seems like something has an impact on gps software and I will have to re-flash again.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Minneapolis, MN
I've had my N900 for about a month now and the GPS has never shown my location correctly and usually never gets a lock. I've tried all the suggestions and I've had it outdoors with a direct line of sight to blue skies and the best it's come up with is putting me somewhere in Tulsa,OK (except I live in Minneapolis!). Nine times out of ten I get no lock at all. My wife's phone (also a Nokia, also with Ovi Maps) gets an accurate lock within 30 seconds indoors!.... Except her phone cost $500 less than mine... ugh...

I'm also a T-Mobile user, sounds like it's specific to them and the N900?

Found this solution:
http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/gps-...ork-issue.html
I tested it and it really worked. At least I got a lock on the satellites and OVI maps showed me my exact location between 30 seconds...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
When PR1.2 gets here, GPS is improved quite a bit. If it gets here...