Active Topics

Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
a recent issue, No. 84, of LinuxUser & Developer magazine http://www.linuxuser.co.uk had what seemed like a pretty good intro article on creating apps for the N900.....
Thanks for that! I don't know if it's the same article, but there's also a tutorial on their website.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witchole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Okay, I think I've found the problem:
I have to accept the payments in my PayPal account so that chipin can update the widget.
The problem is PayPal wants to get some payment fees.
For example we would get $47,75 instead of $50,00.
That's not good.
It seems that these payments are not marked as a donation.
I would like to send back the money. And create a new button which is donation and not payment.
What do you think?
Any news from the official maemo.org paypal account?
what to do?

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
what to do?
Hmm.. if you send back the money you can update the widget so it keeps track? Thats good.

Would it mean those that have donated already would have to send twice, would be an extra paypal fee for them? Thats bad.

How many have donated so far? 3 i think..? If we're charged to send it again I dont mind topping mine up to the $50 again, it might be a bit unfair expecting others to do so too. If they send it again we might be lucky But if it's just a few this would be the time to update it at the beginning before more come in. I think it it gets the tracker working it'd be worth it as it's more transparent and everyone can see their donation going in and how we're doing in total.

No word on the official maemo.org paypal account, it could be a while if it ever comes..

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-22 at 12:08.

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
zehjotkah, either make a donation button or have people send the money as a 'gift' then paypal wont charge fees

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
sending the money back wouldn't cost any fees. Also I haven't accepted the money yet, so there aren't any fees to pay.
But if I would accept the money we would have to pay fees.
I have to accept the money to update the widget.
My solution would be a official maemo.org developers fund (paypal account) where everyone can donate.
Donations don't need to pay the fee.
It seems, that the chipIn page transfers the money as payments and not as donations.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
zehjotkah, either make a donation button or have people send the money as a 'gift' then paypal wont charge fees
yes, that is my solution.
But I would like to have an official maemo.org paypal accout, so it can be used for other purposes, too.

edit: I've sended back the donations.
Please don't use the chipIn site anymore.
edit2: I've ended the chipin, so it can't be used anymore.
I will send texrat a PM.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-05-22 at 12:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
I've removed the chipin link from the first post for the time being, just in case.. edit: and wiki

An official maemo.org paypal account would be the best solution, however at the moment there is no such thing. I think Texrat has pushed for one before and will try to do so again, in the meantime I guess we need a solution for now.

Shall we try out the donation button idea?

Edit: I just got the emails from paypal and chipin saying my donation was returned

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-22 at 12:24.

texrat's inbox is full^^
here the PM, if you're reading this, texrat, please empty your inbox...
Hi Randy!

Could you please take a look into the maemo coding competition thread?
Is it possible to make a maemo.org paypal account for donations and so on?
I would offer myself as as the treasurer, if needed.

Thanks.

Cosimo
edit: send via email

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-05-22 at 12:41.

Its great that you prolonged the competition deadline, 1 month seemed really too short to me to create anything useful.

also your app is in -testing, so not released yet.
I'm not sure this was meant as a joke It can take quite a long time to reach the extras quality. And I'm not sure how much time can the testing process take, but surely its not very quick. Someone also mentioned here that the apps don't have to be perfect, which is in contradiction to this.

As I'm not familiar with the extras promotion process, I don't dare to make any suggestions, but I think it should be clearly stated in the rules.

I want to participate too with my own application, a filemanager. Yeah, boring... But the default FM is a joke and its surprising that there are no real alternatives for such a crucial tool. I hope I can make something usable till the deadline, won't be easy with my limited time..

Originally Posted by lukash View Post
Its great that you prolonged the competition deadline, 1 month seemed really too short to me to create anything useful.

I'm not sure this was meant as a joke It can take quite a long time to reach the extras quality. And I'm not sure how much time can the testing process take, but surely its not very quick. Someone also mentioned here that the apps don't have to be perfect, which is in contradiction to this.

As I'm not familiar with the extras promotion process, I don't dare to make any suggestions, but I think it should be clearly stated in the rules.

I want to participate too with my own application, a filemanager. Yeah, boring... But the default FM is a joke and its surprising that there are no real alternatives for such a crucial tool. I hope I can make something usable till the deadline, won't be easy with my limited time..
It was meant as "your app is in -testing, so very few in comparison of all N900 users know it. No problem to take part in the competition"

a good filemanager could be the winner in the Utillities category...