Active Topics

yes works like a charm, great and thanks mate

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by boxkillor View Post
yes works like a charm, great and thanks mate
you do realise that you are not using v38 after doing the above? you are just putting the settings for 37 back. The only step that should matter is the last one

Code:
cd /home/user/MyDocs
wget http://downloads.nitdroid.com/Jay-c/...power37.tar.gz
cd /
tar xzvf /home/user/MyDocs/multiboot-power37.tar.gz
infact, if you alreasy have the power kernel.tar in my docs, the very last two steps will suffice.

Don't forget the thanks button if I helped you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mornage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
don't know mate. I just tried the post above and won't boot it at all, just loops back. I can't recall what I did lastnight though did get it to boot twice, that said, was rough. Would loop back twice and then reboot and start but did boot, now I am lost.
Thanks for the reply mate, I don't know the differences with the install types as noted by you. Normally I have downloaded and installed via the repo's. This time I got a file from Qole as I wished to install to mmcblk1p4 (partition 4 on sd). I extracted and installed this though installed much the same way NITDroid did and not like the usual process.
By this I mean:
apt-get install bzip2
cd /home/user/MyDocs/
bzip2 -d debian-m5-v3b-rootfs.tar.bz2

cd /
mkdir /easydebian
mount /dev/mmcblk1p4 /easydebian
cd /easydebian
tar xvf /home/user/MyDocs/debian-m5-v3b-rootfs.tar

Does this make any difference, pardon my ignorance ?

Stephen

Guys,
What does it mean when the Multiboot .item file lists though with a quaver at the end of it?

Thanks for the reply mate, I don't know the differences with the install types as noted by you. Normally I have downloaded and installed via the repo's. This time I got a file from Qole as I wished to install to mmcblk1p4 (partition 4 on sd). I extracted and installed this though installed much the same way NITDroid did and not like the usual process.
By this I mean:
apt-get install bzip2
cd /home/user/MyDocs/
bzip2 -d debian-m5-v3b-rootfs.tar.bz2

cd /
mkdir /easydebian
mount /dev/mmcblk1p4 /easydebian
cd /easydebian
tar xvf /home/user/MyDocs/debian-m5-v3b-rootfs.tar

Does this make any difference, pardon my ignorance ?

Stephen
Essentially, it wont boot when you start the N900, only once your in maemo can you run debian (which runs inside chroot). If your having trouble with running it there, you are more likely to get help with it if you post in the debian thread.

p.s. Fedora (another linux distribution) will boot but I'm pretty sure it'll boot straight into command line and some knowledge is required to get a desktop enviroment.

The Following User Says Thank You to mornage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mornage View Post
you do realise that you are not using v38 after doing the above? you are just putting the settings for 37 back. The only step that should matter is the last one

Code:
cd /home/user/MyDocs
wget http://downloads.nitdroid.com/Jay-c/...power37.tar.gz
cd /
tar xzvf /home/user/MyDocs/multiboot-power37.tar.gz
infact, if you alreasy have the power kernel.tar in my docs, the very last two steps will suffice.
whoop ure right, noticed at in conky but yeah doesnt matter since v38 is only for developer but thnks 4 the advise ^^

Originally Posted by mornage View Post
Essentially, it wont boot when you start the N900, only once your in maemo can you run debian (which runs inside chroot). If your having trouble with running it there, you are more likely to get help with it if you post in the debian thread.

p.s. Fedora (another linux distribution) will boot but I'm pretty sure it'll boot straight into command line and some knowledge is required to get a desktop enviroment.
That's fine and as it normally did (once inside of Maemo).
I just don't know how to start it now as no icons as you normally get when installing via repos. Do I need to start via xterm?
If so, could you assist me by telling me how, sorry, never used linux before. Always been a simpleton windows, click button guy, lol

thanks for your help.

That's fine and as it normally did (once inside of Maemo).
I just don't know how to start it now as no icons as you normally get when installing via repos. Do I need to start via xterm?
If so, could you assist me by telling me how, sorry, never used linux before. Always been a simpleton windows, click button guy, lol

thanks for your help.
sorry, dont know that much about easy debian. I only ever used it via repos. Thats why I was directing you to the easy debian thread as you are more likely to get people who know about it there. Its out of the scope of this thread really aswell.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
How do I add power kernel38 to multiboot and remove 37 from the multiboot menu?

EDIT: I just reinstalled kernel37 until further notice....

Last edited by Deaconclgi; 2010-08-03 at 23:36.

Mornage

Can you please take a look at this post as i got no help or solution to the problem.

Thank you very much

Tags
face palm