Active Topics

Originally Posted by luomuhappo View Post
ugly. horrible edges and spacing in kb.
I could not agree more! No matter what you put inside, style and usability is very important.

The "Mac-style" silver and black has completely different proportions of each colour. It is more silver with black accents and don't have that horrible silver surrounding the black that surrounds the screen. It is like having a Ferrari engine within an old school Skoda (what is wrong with a good old Skoda I hear you say...). It will break apart before we start to play with it.

That ridiculous keyboard with elevated hinge will be the first thing to go after a few flicks. I'm done with their design and engineering.

I am not easily put off by ugly things....(I have a mirror...) but this is beyond the pale.

Besides, even not being easily put off by different technologies, I prefer the ones that give more that a month's usage out of my money and my N900 has just done it for me. Not an every day swearing kind of person but I've been at the end of my wits and very p!!!ed off by battery issues, then kb issues, then non-responsiveness issues. It does not fill me with confidence in the Nokia brand, unless it is actually build by HTC on Nokia's behalf.

The Following User Says Thank You to wovenstringz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
So, do we think this is a Harmattan or Meego device? I'm tempted to skip Harmattan devices as they've been Osbourned by Meego. I hope Nokia do too ...
Lets remember that Harmattan framework is now MeeGo touch framework . Just like Meego 1.0 is very much Moblin and got pretty much nothing to do with Maemo it's same story with phone side as Nokia have been working on it for long time. I mean harmattan was announced already in 2008.
Might sound weird but i'm all for it to be Harmattan. That i'm pretty sure it also is.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-3398.php

old link but seems they have updated the picture of the phone?

this makes me wonder maybe it symbian3 crap anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I wish it would look more like that mock-up posted page ago. It looks cheap and "KIRF" like. Oh well, I thought that HTC's TP2 was ugly until I saw it, it wasn't really that ugly after all.

The Following User Says Thank You to luomuhappo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n9-3398.php

old link but donmt remebre if the picture whas this before?

this makes me wonder msaybe it symbian3 crap anyway.
it's GSMarena. nothing new from them.

Every source that i trust seem to be saying it's MeeGo/Harmattan and i have no reason to doubt that. Nokia is still releasing one MeeGo device this year no matter what like they have been saying 4-5 months already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Lets remember that Harmattan framework is now MeeGo touch framework . Just like Meego 1.0 is very much Moblin and got pretty much nothing to do with Maemo it's same story with phone side as Nokia have been working on it for long time. I mean harmattan was announced already in 2008.
Might sound weird but i'm all for it to be Harmattan. That i'm pretty sure it also is.
I bet you're right. Its just that I expect I'll end up running Meego on my N900 at some point, so why would I want to branch off to a Harmattan device as an upgrade, when Meego is the future?
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wovenstringz View Post

That ridiculous keyboard with elevated hinge will be the first thing to go after a few flicks. I'm done with their design and engineering.
i think the hinge has been field proven in the n97 and n97 mini as very good engineering...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
Supporting DRM doesn't make anything less open - it means you have a feature you can use if you want. If you don't want to use the drm feature, live like you lived with N900.
It would be nice if it were that way, but that is not how DRM works. It's not a "feature" that you can just ignore or use at your will. In most cases, DRM needs to "infect" the whole system and requires a closed platform. If the platform is open, one can snoop, circumvent or override the "protection", so in order for DRM to work, the control of the platform must be taken from the user.

I remember when Vista first came out and it would degrade DVD playback quality on early HDTVs and monitors, because they were "not trusted". That was an early warning of what DRM is poised to do for those that keep ignoring its pervasive nature.

Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
Trust me, having DRM / trusted platform enabler will mean more software to be available for the device, with zero damage to open ecosystem. Unless you count pirates as part of open ecosystem...
"Trusted Platform" affects the open ecosystem because it takes control from the user. The manufacturer (or an assignee thereof) has ultimate control of your device and can prevent you from using it in ways they do not approve of. A corporation, not YOU, has control over what software can be made and installed on your device. Nuff said.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wotevah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
i think the hinge has been field proven in the n97 and n97 mini as very good engineering...
agree.... am all for the hinge

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
flipping, bouncing off walls, waiting for N900 to come back from repair so I can shelve it when this arrives...

Tags
design, nokia n9