Active Topics

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So, is anyone happy to do a big run-down of all improvements (subtle or otherwise) & all regressions?
Has it surpassed Freemantle/Harmattan overall IYO, or is there still too many limitations/regressions?
Not a big run-down, but here's my experience.

It's my main phone since day 1 (sales start). It was sometimes hard in the beginning with features lacking, poor battery life (remember the infamous NFC bug) and random shutdowns.

Now, 7 months later, the situation is completely different.

Featurewise, I'm happy. 2-way Google calendar sync, a working e-mail client, a fast webbrowser, a good camera, Bluetooth support for connecting the phone to the car, PDF reader, VNC (Android app Jump), a fluid UI, awesome Android support, and a filemanager for managing data in the cloud and on the device (Cargo Dock).
And it all works well and stable. My phone's uptime ranges now from OS update to OS update, i.e. currently about 4 - 6 weeks.

The hardware build quality is pretty good, and cellular reception is the best of any smart phone I ever had (T-Mobile MDA, N900, G1, N950, N9, Jolla).
LTE works like a charm.
Battery life is now also by far the best I ever had on a smart phone.

It's hard to find anything I dislike about it by now, but I'll try...

The TOH makes a noise if I press it in the lower left corner. There's some play between the TOH and the phone. But only one TOH shows this problem.

Sometimes RAM is an issue. 1 GB is not that much if you also want to run some Android apps along with Sailfish apps.

The mail client could more responsive, but I think this has improved with the latest update. The PDF viewer is not the fastest either.

The browser always remembers the last page visited when you open it. I find this annoying because when I open the browser, I definitely don't want to reload the page I visited last.

The music player has no ability to add a complete album to a playlist at once. You have to add track by track, which is very cumbersome.

If the ambience has a sound set for new e-mail, it will chime during the night, too. But fortunately only once for the first new e-mail.

The maps app doesn't have offline maps, and the UI is a bit confusing.

The screen is a tad to big to reach all corners comfortably one-handed. Sometimes (e.g. for swiping down to close an app), it's hard to use it with one-hand.

IMO it has surpassed Fremantle and Harmattan for all of my use-cases.

Last edited by pycage; 2014-06-16 at 18:01.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I was kinda hoping for LOTS more detail/specifics than that, but thanks for your "insights".
Sorry. No point really unless we know what main use cases are? Have no clue what is important to you.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
IMO it has surpassed Fremantle and Harmattan for all of my use-cases.
IMHO, I agree with pycage.

Couple important features still missing are voicemail notification and enterprise wifi support. I am sure it will come soon.

The primary reason I needed to replace my N9 was due to its battery drain bug. My N9 battery lasted only half day.

Battery life was good on my Jolla since the beginning, but since 1.0.7.18, my Jolla battery lasts close to 2 full days with heavy usage. Even with over 2 hours or so of Android games. That is pretty impressive.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Agree with pycage. Except that the browser still lacks bad compared to Opera or Firefox on android. Font sizes are very small, doubletap zoom doesn't work well here at talk.maemo.org, back button remembers zoom and location very seldom.
Luckily libhybris speed is absolutely fantastic today, and you can't tell difference between middle to high end performance android and Jolla.

Longest uptime I've had was between updates 6 and latest 7. 40 days in total. And no signs of slowing down as so often with android handsets.

From N9 I miss calendar events view, the obvious low power screen, better screen size and screen visibility in direct sunlight. And of course the beauty of the device itself. These cannot be helped but pretty much everything else, and more, are covered already.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
Agree with pycage. Except that the browser still lacks bad compared to Opera or Firefox on android. Font sizes are very small, doubletap zoom doesn't work well here at talk.maemo.org, back button remembers zoom and location very seldom.
Luckily libhybris speed is absolutely fantastic today, and you can't tell difference between middle to high end performance android and Jolla.

Longest uptime I've had was between updates 6 and latest 7. 40 days in total. And no signs of slowing down as so often with android handsets.

From N9 I miss calendar events view, the obvious low power screen, better screen size and screen visibility in direct sunlight. And of course the beauty of the device itself. These cannot be helped but pretty much everything else, and more, are covered already.
I'd add to that btrfs, just used your rebalancing guide again Thanks for that, bit like readonly os/defragmenting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
bought the device not too long before update 7 is deployed, it was kinda buggy with update 5 but it is a lot better now. Still has random connection issues even with the connman hotfix, but overall it is much more usable now compared to the last version.

one thing i really miss is the ability to open web pages in multiple browser processes though S: i know webcat can sort of do it (the long press and select open in new window thing) but it feels like a hack... can we have a browser that behaves somewhat like N9's (or even N900) stock browser (and if possible, the messaging app too?).

yea, that means the current UI needs to have a way to let us access > 9 running apps

and the screen is huge for one hand use, I can't really imagine how ppl comfortably use a device with bigger screen (5"+++++)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I agree. The device is now in a good shape
with room for improvement:
- calendar: I do not receive any reminder for any events. And it is a bit a long process to open the calendar for upcoming events. I would prefer that to appear in the notifications...
The UI is also not the best imo

- browser: it is very fast but as described above, the fact that it opens previous page when you open it is not the best idea. I would much prefer a very fast opening with a blank page
In addition, it is sometimes stuck when on cellular (not sure why).
And there are some conditions where the page is not properly loaded (blur effect) and you need to move the page around to get it properly visible...
I would love to have firefox sync in place as well with native browser :P

- emails: there are again a situation where it is difficult to come back to the main page with a gesture, I sometimes need to go all the way up and use the dot to come back...
Another pain is the fact that when a mail is opened, there is no way to move it to a sub-folder, you need to come back to the main page.

- bluetooth: I have some difficulty to have automatic connection of my headset (Philips M1BT), I usually need to do it manually and sometimes it fails the first time
I have the same problem with connecting my Pebble

- music player: the only complain so far is the lack of option to add an entire album to the playlist...

- connection: as other the connection is sometimes stuck and you keep having (error in connection)... But it is usually ok

So all in all, it is a great (and working) device with nice autonomy, a fluid interface, more and more native apps (with lacks filled with Android apps).
I never had any big issue anyway before (only twice a lipstick restart but nothing major)...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Anyone experiencing hard battery drains with this update?
yup!!!!
I fully charged my battery at work.. left at 5pm... and by the time I got into bed at 11pm i was down to 30%

and just now, fully charged at 5pm.. and 1hr later down to 85%

also! since the update, my jolla seems to be sucking up my internet data!
its been one week since i got all my data back, and now its all gone...
i understand usually its some sort of app or GPS... but i haven't used my jolla any different.

i can only assume this is due to the new facebook notifications feature.. i had that updating once every hour... but that shouldnt be sucking 1GB of data in 10 days...

so i just recharged my credit.. and am going to monitor it on a daily basis. iv reduced my facebook notifications to twice a day...

Originally Posted by toki View Post
yup!!!!
I fully charged my battery at work.. left at 5pm... and by the time I got into bed at 11pm i was down to 30%

and just now, fully charged at 5pm.. and 1hr later down to 85%
I had some battery-drain and notifications that some synchronization would like to delete too many entries from addressbook.

I had transfered my phonebook from N9 via bluetooth and seems that they were considered cloud-entries. Couple of the entries had 500 duplicates in the backup.

Cleared addressbook and started from scartch with it, seems to be a bit beter now.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...ase-messed-up/

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by beeki View Post
I had ... notifications that some synchronization would like to delete too many entries from addressbook.
I've been getting this since the update as well

Tags
party