Active Topics

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
If I can make calls with it it is a phone to me.
If a phone can do other things than just making calls thats fine with me - its a phone too and other things too.

So how come some say its not a phone ? Can't you make calls with it ?
I can also make phone calls with my desktop, laptop, and n800. If we're going by the criteria it can make calls then all of those are considered phones.

I consider it more by use case. Yes, my desktop, laptop, n800, and N900 can make phone calls, but what's my primary use of those devices?

Computer work, running applications found mostly on computers. Hence I consider them computers, and not phones.

Granted your primary use of the N900 may indeed be a phone, and if that were the case I do think you should've picked another device because the N900 makes a poor phone outside of basic calling functionality. And I have recommended people away from the N900 who wanted more of a phone/smartphone devices rather than a computer/internet tablet.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
^
|
|
I agree 100%

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
your right lauhging man the n900 isnt the best 'phone'

but its a phone to him and its aphone to me and its mass marketed therefore its gonna be a phone to the vast majority primarily..

to you it may not ne a phone. but its user defined

it is a internet device where you can also connect to pots )

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I can also make phone calls with my desktop, laptop, and n800. If we're going by the criteria it can make calls then all of those are considered phones.

I consider it more by use case. Yes, my desktop, laptop, n800, and N900 can make phone calls, but what's my primary use of those devices?

Computer work, running applications found mostly on computers. Hence I consider them computers, and not phones.

Granted your primary use of the N900 may indeed be a phone, and if that were the case I do think you should've picked another device because the N900 makes a poor phone outside of basic calling functionality. And I have recommended people away from the N900 who wanted more of a phone/smartphone devices rather than a computer/internet tablet.
I absolutely agree but I think you overstate the computing power of the N900 (just like the superphone hype over the Nexus). For casual browsing the N900 shines. For computing work, I'd still rather have a pocketable computer.

Since the debut of the Intel Atom, there have been more and more of these announced (literally every day at the moment since it's CES time). They don't need EasyDebian or WinMo, they run Debian and Windows. Plus the screens are bigger so old people like myself can actually read a document in OpenOffice.

Someday there may be a true converged device. For now, it doesn't exist. The N900 is a more capable phone with data capabilities than most but whether you call it a smartphone, superphone, Internet phone, or whatever, to my mind it still needs to function first and foremost as a phone.

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
your right lauhging man the n900 isnt the best 'phone'

but its a phone to him and its aphone to me and its mass marketed therefore its gonna be a phone to the vast majority primarily..

to you it may not ne a phone. but its user defined
Thats what hes saying, and he also said that if you see it primarily as a phone then you probably wont be as happy with it. If you see it primarily as an internet tablet you will likely be more satisfied with it. So to all those who say its not good phone, ur right, it isnt. but it is a good internet tablet. As he said above, he wouldnt reccomend it to those who define it as a phone.

The basic premise of this thread was to start out pointing that the N900 is not a phone (primarily) to justify the lack of some basic phone functions.

Whats the purpose of this hair splitting really ? Is it just to justify the lack of features ?

Isn't it much easier to just accept that the N900 is a phone and yes it does lack a few features (like MMS etc). So take it or leave it.
Hopefully these lack of features will be addressed in time.

Instead we spend 14 pages of pointless argument over whether its a phone or not when it makes POTS based voice calls just fine and dandy.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
waleed no thats not the case- you shouldnt be more happy becuase of what you class it as..

the point is do you carry another phone or not.

what do you ise it for

just because some may not use it as much as a phone- doenst mean i use it less as an internet tablet..

it is what it is- it has its flaws, nokia dont need to praised for not finishing of this product..

fanboys are saying its not a phone to get out of its phone functionality.

this is not acceptable- the phone is being sold by phone retailers on contracts, and marketed as a phone..

it has to do what it says on the tiin.

Last edited by mysticrokks; 2010-01-06 at 20:40.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
The basic premise of this thread was to start out pointing that the N900 is not a phone (primarily) to justify the lack of some basic phone functions.

Whats the purpose of this hair splitting really ? Is it just to justify the lack of features ?

Isn't it much easier to just accept that the N900 is a phone and yes it does lack a few features (like MMS etc). So take it or leave it.
Hopefully these lack of features will be addressed in time.

Instead we spend 14 pages of pointless argument over whether its a phone or not when it makes POTS based voice calls just fine and dandy.
im just doing it for the sake of arguing

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
it is what it is- it has its flaws, nokia dont need to praised for not finishing of this product
But at the same time.. they don't need to be condemned for not making the product of your dreams, either.

As you said - it is what it is.. you can either take it.. or leave it. If it's not what you want, it's not what you want. That's just the way it is.

(generalize "you".. not directed at mystic.)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!