Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Meh, IT is much more than Facebook and Google.
Besides, those companies also have research centers in Europe.

Sweden for example has an impressive game industry for its size (e.g. DICE and Massive).

The US has the biggest home market, which makes things far easier for internet companies and in general companies which rely on brand value. In Europe there is the language and culture barrier which makes it difficult for an internet company to gain the necessary scale. Spotify and Skype are exceptions.
Well u have a point there for sure. But I still say we need similar to facebook, google etc... Especially cause of NSA...

First of Northeuropean should work closer together.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-06-26 at 16:44.

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
IDC just announced European shipment figures for Q1 2013.

Nokia has went from 8% market share last year shipping 2.3 million phones to 5% market share this year shipping 1.6 million phones. If this rate of decline continues, Nokia will probably be in the Others category. Incredible considering Europe is a core market which they dominated only a few years ago

We should all get behind Jolla (the true Finnish innovator) and buy their phone. It would be hilarious if the Jolla phone ended up outselling Nokia.
Yes we should but people expect too much from a startup company and want latest XXX specs. So they will have it way harder than Nokia to convince the market just see all negativeness here

Number 3 shouldn't be there with <1% of Europe's population (1/16th of the size compared to the 4th, 1/12th of the first and second).
Venture capital is only one aspect of innovation performance. In general the innovation leaders in Europe (per capita) are Switzerland, Sweden, Germany, Finland, Denmark. Then Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Austria, Ireland, France etc. Romania, Bulgaria etc. at the bottom.

See the EU Innovation Scoreboard.

Not only IT of course.

But back to topic. Remember when Nokia talked about the next disruption? I think its about time to pull the rabbit out of the hat.

Last edited by Rugoz; 2013-06-26 at 22:59.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
But back to topic. Remember when Nokia talked about the next disruption? I think its about time to pull the rabbit out of the hat.
Oh my God, I'd forgotten all about that stupid slogan they kept trying to repeat in our faces whenever we criticized Nokia for doing something stupid. They would keep repeating, 'It's allllll part of our "FUTURE DISRUPTION!"' and that's it. They would just somehow sweep away the criticism with this weird phrase and fail to explain it or prove it. First it was all about the switch to MeeGo, then it was all about the switch to Windows phone.. now what the hell is 'FUTURE DISRUPTION' going to mean this time?

http://www.slashgear.com/meego-focus...stem-11132759/

“We’ll ask that team to change their focus onto future devices, future platforms” Elop explained, and then take those lessons learned and transfer them to “future disruption in the mobile ecosystem.”

“For something to effectively compete and ulimately win against Apple and Android, it requires huge adoption around the world, and that’s something that hasn’t so far happened” Elop explained. “The message I’ve heard [from operators] is that “we like it, we’ll support it” – they need a credible alternative.”

Somehow, he thought it would be the least popular phone platform that nobody really likes? Even Microsoft's own game developers are making games for iOS and Android ahead of their own Windows Phone platform (http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/25/age-...s-unconfirmed/). heh Nokia is screwed, near as I can tell, if even Microsoft doesn't have confidence in their own platform.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Its ****ing time for:

https://jolla.com/your-jolla/
Attached Images

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Jolla
we target to ship by the end of 2013 **
**) If you participate in the pre-booking campaign and purchase the device when it becomes available, you will pay no more than 399 € (including VAT), excluding shipping costs and possible local taxes and other handling fees. The 100€ discount is valid through 30th of June 2014 - it is personal and non-transferable, nor can it be exchanged for money. No purchase necessary.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
...naice, verry naice. I smell planning fail.

Hmm? Shipping day is well within preorder rebate expiration? Did I miss your point?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Oh my God, I'd forgotten all about that stupid slogan they kept trying to repeat in our faces whenever we criticized Nokia for doing something stupid. They would keep repeating, 'It's allllll part of our "FUTURE DISRUPTION!"' and that's it. They would just somehow sweep away the criticism with this weird phrase and fail to explain it or prove it. First it was all about the switch to MeeGo, then it was all about the switch to Windows phone.. now what the hell is 'FUTURE DISRUPTION' going to mean this time?

http://www.slashgear.com/meego-focus...stem-11132759/

“We’ll ask that team to change their focus onto future devices, future platforms” Elop explained, and then take those lessons learned and transfer them to “future disruption in the mobile ecosystem.”

“For something to effectively compete and ulimately win against Apple and Android, it requires huge adoption around the world, and that’s something that hasn’t so far happened” Elop explained. “The message I’ve heard [from operators] is that “we like it, we’ll support it” – they need a credible alternative.”

Somehow, he thought it would be the least popular phone platform that nobody really likes? Even Microsoft's own game developers are making games for iOS and Android ahead of their own Windows Phone platform (http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/25/age-...s-unconfirmed/). heh Nokia is screwed, near as I can tell, if even Microsoft doesn't have confidence in their own platform.

Asha 501 is the future disruption.....NOT!

Elop did disrupt the market, he killed all the operating systems that could compete with Android.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Elop did disrupt the market, he killed all the operating systems that could compete with Android.
Who cares, Everything is doomed. WW3 will start 2014

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha