Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
As there always has been. As one would assume.

Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
Jolla need not concern themselves about distribution too much. They just need to make the devices available. Those that want them will find a way of getting them. I think they can benefit from putting the devices in the hands of those who want them, so at this point I don't totally understand the restrictions that they're maintaining including witholding information at this late stage.
I totally agree. I am willing to collect the phone overseas, or arrange to get it to my country, myself.

Such a possibility needs to be allowed so that Jolla can make the most of the sales potential.

The Following User Says Thank You to zamorph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
Well, I think assumptions are being made regarding Andrea's inquiry.

I say that because I'm currently on Jolla Customer Care trying to get clarification on how I benefit from the 0€ option.

My question for Jolla is the same as Andrea's and it has nothing to do with the "other half". And that's whether I will have the opportunity to purchase the device in the initial distribution with the 0€ option as the paid pre-orders (who get some 'other half' bonus).

So far I'm only getting partial answers to my questions from Jolla Customer Care, but hope some clarity will be offered on the matter.

Jolla need not concern themselves about distribution too much. They just need to make the devices available. Those that want them will find a way of getting them. I think they can benefit from putting the devices in the hands of those who want them, so at this point I don't totally understand the restrictions that they're maintaining including witholding information at this late stage.

Another reason to let people know where they stand is so that they can plan whether they need to cough up 399€ in December or whenever payment is due. Or wait for further distribution, or buy something else...

I think you are wrong they should be deadly serious about distrubutions.

Yes geeks may get ways to get devices. But if, and they must, make sure they get to the masses and sell well.

so its important. Also they need to get more of those carriers to sign!

Its a big shame so far only finland with DNA has signed.

It really is time for the rest of northeuropen to sign right now!!! GOT DAMN WAKEUP SWEDEN!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-10-01 at 20:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
You are wrong they should be deadly serious about distrubutions.

Yes geeks may get ways to get devices. But if, and they must, make sure they get to the masses and sell well.

so its important. Also they need to get more of those carriers to sign!
Ok, I'm wrong... but taking the N900 distribution into consideration, I stand by my comment in that those outside the EU should not have to wait for the devices to officially show up in the shops.

The N900 was never officially distrbuted in Canada, but Canadians had options. Nobody told them they had to wait for anything.

Of course Jolla should be concerned with distribution, and I hope they work hard to break into all the markets. Do I think that's going to happen by December? Maybe.

Do I think there are ways to quickly reach people in alternate markets without the wait-and-see approach? Yes. And I think they can make positive gains with some early adpotion without hurting their markets in development. Maybe that will happen...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by zamorph View Post
I totally agree. I am willing to collect the phone overseas, or arrange to get it to my country, myself.

Such a possibility needs to be allowed so that Jolla can make the most of the sales potential.
I'm doing the same... getting it delivered to my sister in the UK, and then getting it couriered over to me in Malaysia.

My "issue" with this, however, is that Jolla isn't making it easier for all these people who are willing to jump through hoops to get the device. If the costs for getting the device to me are (for example) EUR50 worth of shipping/forwarding, I personally would be glad to give EUR100 to Jolla instead of some random shipping company. Sure, it'll be more work for them... but at the same time they're making the device available to so many more people (especially considering the very limited number of countries Jolla has covered officially).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biatch0 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zamorph View Post

I think they need to do something like this for the countries that they're having problems getting the device into:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...11#post1376311
Only some Maemo/MeeGo/Nemo/Plasma/Sailfish/Qt nerds care about sourcing it from overseas, no-one else will bother.
If doing something like that isn't feasible, then they should at least offer support/warranty for those who've sourced it from overseas.
Plus allow online purchase via their site & some major etailers who ship worldwide, & provide support/warranty.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-02 at 04:19.

I believe it's very easy to say "I want Jolla to distribute in *", but we forget that each _country_ (except perhaps the EU where there is a sort of umbrella) has slightly different laws, regulations, etc.. Take the extreme case: United States of America. Lots of people there, lots of potential, and yet -not being an expert- I can tell that patent laws are a red flag.

Sorry, I'd rather Jolla be successful initially in the markets that they consider suitable (and I'll have to source a phone somehow...) than them going backrupt because they aren't complying with something or somebody is suing them because they "copied" a curve in the inside of the phone.

That said, if they are successful quickly enough, getting to other markets won't be a problem.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
At the behest of their suggestion on Twitter, I sent them an email... >.>
I fully expect it to be a waste of time & for them to not even read it let alone respond, but, one can hope.
Email's subject was: Availability/distribution; some ideas/recommendations ---feedback appreciated!

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-02 at 08:43.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I believe it's very easy to say "I want Jolla to distribute in *", but we forget that each _country_ (except perhaps the EU where there is a sort of umbrella) has slightly different laws, regulations, etc.. Take the extreme case: United States of America. Lots of people there, lots of potential, and yet -not being an expert- I can tell that patent laws are a red flag.
Logistics, warranties, localisation, paying for the parts and manufacturing for those phones without having real retail distribution, and so forth. We don't need another hobby project for Linux phones. Plenty of those around. I prefer them doing it like a proper commercial entity.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Plus tech is very cheap in US so they can't sell it for 399 euro...plus tax.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
device, jolla, jolla phone, pre-order