Active Topics

Originally Posted by Lumiaman
Maybe Android, forget Meego, Sailfish, or Symbian.
Ah, so you're back pedaling on Android now? I haven't forgotten what you've said about it in the past, it clearly demonstrated you have absolutely no clue what it takes to make a successful smartphone OS.

With WP they feel they can differentiate better.
With Windows Phone NOKIA can only differentiate through hardware, hence the focus on camera tech.

...completely focus on what is growing:LUMIAs
Try punching this in your calculator:
6.1 x 191
then:
7.4 x 157
Which produced the greater result?

Originally Posted by Dave999
What if...Nokia would have continued with Meego and symbian until today?
Even if results were just as bad as they are now (and that would take even greater incompetence than Elop has delivered because NOKIA did actually have viable platforms) at least NOKIA would still be an independant company in control of its own destiny.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
ROTFL This thread is epic I am sure Elop loves it.

I have Lumiaman on my ignore list but see his quites STILL he convinced WP was right choice

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-stock-2013-7

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Series 40+J2ME was destined to die (to be replaced by Meltemi+Qt) it was Elop who saved it.
Yet another catastrophic blunder that will cost NOKIA a large fortune.
Nokia basicly gave up the low end, A.K.A the only segment were they were competive, with the Meltemi cancellation.

Of all the Elop stupidity it's both the dumbest and the least appreciated one. The 400 - 500 people being sacked from the mobile-phones (non-smartphone) unit is just the beginning. S40/Asha/What The ****ing Ever it's called this week or before next month is soon Android's road kill. Nokia just getting rid of the people it won't be needing, now that it won't be competing in the low-end anymore.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Nokia basicly gave up the low end, A.K.A the only segment were they were competive, with the Meltemi cancellation.

Of all the Elop stupidity it's both the dumbest and the least appreciated one. The 400 - 500 people being sacked from the mobile-phones (non-smartphone) unit is just the beginning. S40/Asha/What The ****ing Ever it's called this week or before next month is soon Android's road kill. Nokia just getting rid of the people it won't be needing, now that it won't be competing in the low-end anymore.

Meltemi? you must be joking. android would have wiped it so fast

Ah, so you're back pedaling on Android now? I haven't forgotten what you've said about it in the past, it clearly demonstrated you have absolutely no clue what it takes to make a successful smartphone OS.

With Windows Phone NOKIA can only differentiate through hardware, hence the focus on camera tech.

6.1 x 191
then:
7.4 x 157

Even if results were just as bad as they are now (and that would take even greater incompetence than Elop has delivered because NOKIA did actually have viable platforms) at least NOKIA would still be an independant company in control of its own destiny.
There is a simple answer to your reliance on the past: that is why you will not be a CEO. Symbian and Meego apologizers is why NOKIA was in trouble...instead of jumping on the right platform in 2007 when iphone was unveiled, they ridiculed it, didnt believe it and sat on their assssees. Radical surgery was needed and Elop is delivering. Stock higher today than yesterday.

Nokia's bed buddy kickin' a*s!

Name:  msft-130719.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  22.2 KB

6.1 x 191
then:
7.4 x 157

Not with the coders they had. Not with the culture they had. But they saw problems and responded better than BBRY. BBRY waited too long to shed the old and will likely drop out of the race for third ecosystem.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
But they saw problems and responded better than BBRY. BBRY waited too long to shed the old and will likely drop out of the race for third ecosystem.
BlackBerry's ASP is over $300 (for the BB10 devices it's over $400). It's time to get your calculator out again.

I'm sure they could sell much greater volumes of BB10 devices if they started churning them out at EUR 157. They may yet decide to do that if their plan of being a high end, high margin manufacturer fails to pay dividends.

BlackBerry own their own ecosystem so at least they have other ways of making money from their customers if they are forced into a higher volume at lower cost scenario.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
A year old, but it seems the trend has only continued and the same points stand...

The Windows Phone Predictions that IDC, Gartner and Pyramid Research Probably Hope You’ve Forgotten
http://www.globalnerdy.com/2012/05/0...uve-forgotten/

IDC’s Prediction: Almost 6% Market Share in 2011, 21% by 2015
Name:  idc-2015-predictions-graph.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  25.0 KB

Gartner’s Prediction: Almost 6% in 2011, 11% in 2012, 20% by 2015
Name:  gartner-2015-predictions-graph.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  26.2 KB

And where are we now?
Let’s now take a look at the latest comScore report, published on May 1st, 2012:
Name:  comScore-May-2012-Market-Share-graph.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  27.0 KB

The best quote of the article:
"Simply put, it means the predictions are dead wrong — and in Pyramid Research’s case, delusional — and you’d best run away from this platform as quickly as your feet will take you. Unless there’s some massive change in Microsoft’s strategy — maybe there’ll be a Windows 8 miracle, but I wouldn’t bet on it — do not look back, just high-tail it out of there. There’s a lot of interesting stuff happening in the mobile world, but it ain’t happening in Windows Phone land."

Read the whole article, Lumiaman, if you have the guts for it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2013-07-21 at 11:21.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I think they may be right that WP will come back in some way 2015.

Reason is simple: Microsoft MUST do something desperate. They may very well go buy some big ARM SoC manufactor that would hurt Linux even more.

When I say "hurt linux even more" I mean the facts that Google has killed Linux embedded because manufactors does now only support Android GFX drivers and NOT core linux drivers

Thats why Microsoft and Google are the same *******s.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-21 at 11:49.

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha