Active Topics

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Plus tech is very cheap in US so they can't sell it for 399 euro...plus tax.
It's actually 399 euro including 24% Finnish VAT.. so 320 euro = 435 US$ without VAT, plus whatever import taxes are applied in the US.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
At the behest of their suggestion on Twitter, I sent them an email... >.>
I fully expect it to be a waste of time & for them to not even read it let alone respond, but, one can hope.
Email's subject was: Availability/distribution; some ideas/recommendations ---feedback appreciated!
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...ps88238b34.png
Straight to to point, no finesse, no politeness....
References to long-winding discussions, imperial tone of voice...

Tell you what, if I got a mail/message/tweet/wtf like that, I'd immediately flush it and sure would not bother to reply back.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Straight to to point, no finesse, no politeness....
References to long-winding discussions, imperial tone of voice...

Tell you what, if I got a mail/message/tweet/wtf like that, I'd immediately flush it and sure would not bother to reply back.
WTF. No politeness? Imperial tone of voice? How do you get that?
What the **** is up your arse???

I was trying to be as concise as possible...
I figured referencing the discussion was better than summarising all points.
As they'd be better understood in their full context etc.
I don't expect them to fully (or even partially) answer the last Qn in the email.
But if you don't ask you never know, & it's perhaps the point that's troubling many the most

And I've taken more formal approaches before on behalf of maemo.org.
Invested way more time, got us nowhere, so your point's moot.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-02 at 11:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
WTF. No politeness? Imperial tone of voice? How do you get that?
Well, you make the point to refer to their product as "the propably last Jolla Phone" on the very opening sentence.
You have an "ordering around" tone of voice; confirm, everything, confirm,

I was trying to be as concise as possible...
I figured referencing the discussion was better than summarising all points.
As they'd be better understood in their full context etc.

What the **** is up your arse???

And I've taken more formal approaches before on behalf of maemo.org.
Invested way more time, got us nowhere, so your point's moot.
Well, maybe it's just me (and not being a native english speaker so I might miss some finer nyances there) but I feel the tone of the message is very demanding, and that kind of strokes me the wrong way.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@jalyst, using the word please is not enough to make your post polite.

I agree with juiceme. Your tone turns your post into something I would ignore even on TMO, let alone in business communication. If your other communication with them is in similar tone, then I am not surprised it "got you nowhere".

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Forget the tune. My tune is never polite simply because I don't know the language.

Focus on jolla...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, you make the point to refer to their product as "the propably last Jolla Phone" on the very opening sentence.
That wasn't meant as a insult towards them, it's just a reality of the ww market & the sense of urgency they find themselves in, that outcome is very likely.
I can see how it might be seen as a barb though, perhaps I should've been more verbose/explanatory...

Well, maybe it's just me (and not being a native english speaker so I might miss some finer nyances there) but I feel the tone of the message is very demanding, and that kind of strokes me the wrong way.
Well, it wasn't meant to be "demanding" as you put it, perhaps a sense of emergency/urgency there, nothing more.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
If your other communication with them is in similar tone, then I am not surprised it "got you nowhere".
It was different, we did much of the dialogue via the HF/CC & when it wasn't, it was done directly via email/other in a pro manner, thank-you very much.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-02 at 12:32. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
Ok, I'm wrong... but taking the N900 distribution into consideration, I stand by my comment in that those outside the EU should not have to wait for the devices to officially show up in the shops.

The N900 was never officially distrbuted in Canada, but Canadians had options. Nobody told them they had to wait for anything.

Of course Jolla should be concerned with distribution, and I hope they work hard to break into all the markets. Do I think that's going to happen by December? Maybe.

Do I think there are ways to quickly reach people in alternate markets without the wait-and-see approach? Yes. And I think they can make positive gains with some early adpotion without hurting their markets in development. Maybe that will happen...
notice that I changed my post. I often do that mistake saying "others are wrong... I am right". What I mean is I think you're wrong....

anyway... just to clarify that I am not saying I always is right different opinion...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I think they need to do something like this for the countries that they're having problems getting the device into:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...11#post1376311
Only some Maemo/MeeGo/Nemo/Plasma/Sailfish/Qt nerds care about sourcing it from overseas, no-one else will bother.
If doing something like that isn't feasible, then they should at least offer support/warranty for those who've sourced it from overseas.
Plus allow online purchase via their site & some major etailers who ship worldwide, & provide support/warranty.
Question is if they will deliver to those preordered? I mean in my case I wonder if preorder really meant I can order the device in the end if lets say only 10 people preordered from sweden? I mean why should the care definitivly not in case of translations etc...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Question is if they will deliver to those preordered? I mean in my case I wonder if preorder really meant I can order the device in the end if lets say only 10 people preordered from sweden? I mean why should the care definitivly not in case of translations etc...
Well, that's why they need to make it much easier for more people to pre-order/order...
Which is why some of the concerns/ideas raised are perfectly valid, & require clarification at some point.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-03 at 05:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
device, jolla, jolla phone, pre-order