Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Oh, you would never resort to that. Especially not in the same sentence.
Sorry about that--I don't usually personally attack anyone in the same sentence, I tend to spread it around more. I'll do a better job next time. Honest!

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
well, it still is since you are directed here

http://www.internettablettalk.com/
I think the word you intended to use was "redirected." More importantly, the identity was changed along with the name and that was unfortunate.

Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
The sad fact of this is that neither gerbick nor danramos have used the N900 for a sufficiently long time (leave alone using it in the first place), to really comment valuably on such comparisons in the first place...

anyways lets stop this bashing now... we respect you both, but this discussion leads us nowhere.
Just because I didn't bend over for Nokia's latest offerings doesn't mean I don't have valid opinions or can't point out things said by people who have one. For that matter, owning a device of topical conversation doesn't add absolute credence either.

Even by your measure, I think I've already spent enough money Nokia's way, thank you just the same. I don't think anybody needs to buy the products I have to have an opinion on them either. Being wrong or having unpopular opinions is one thing and it is fine that it's pointed out, being dismissed outright is another and wholly unappreciated.

Thank you for your compliments, but with all due respect... Spare me the speech and participate instead of preach.

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Agreed some of the changes should have been in the stock rom.
Some of the changes they made were pretty good and some were pretty creative.
Check it out
http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=p999

I hope we have something like this to look at with the N9 so we can see what the next firmware update will be.

Mods will be done to the N9 to like bluetooth keyboard enabled and maybe someone will figure out how to get an antenna on that fm transmitter.
We could say the same about some of the tweaks/fixes done to the N900 kernel (QWERTY's camera fix, overclocking even being ALLOWED, etc.) but it's ironic to hear someone use the fact that you CAN customize a device as a knock against such devices or operating systems.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
I certainly will not be parting with £500/$600 of my hard earned money for a phone which may not be supported, OS wise, by Nokia in 6 months time.
I'm getting tired of this "support" thing. Is Samsung galaxy S still getting the newest Androids? Or some mid level HTC's? The truth is that only phone manufacturers who support their phones more than 1-2 years are Nokia and Apple. Apple even more so. But I'm surprised if 3GS is getting a workable v.5 iOS.

So what the hell you are expecting from your phone, that somehow it gets magical powers after 3 years with a software upgrade? Isn't it good enough when you buy it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arpa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
To be honest, I find that my experience with Android, all but AMOLED based phones, is better than the N900. I'm a heavy phone user.
N900 was at the time when battery life was at worst all around. The new 45nm based CPU improved the next gen phones and IOS and Android have optimized the battery life from those days.

Android is easily the most power hungry, but of course as long as you can gram big enough battery and not losing something it's ok.
From somebody who has actually owned Android, Maemo 5, IOS devices it's IOS that got easily the best battery life. On same heavy usage iphone 4 lasts 2 days easily.
GS was 1.3 days, N900 was almost a day or a bit less.

Though N9 seems to have great battery life with 1450mah, but got a wait till i get it in to my hands.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-07-09 at 20:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Originally Posted by Arpa View Post
I'm getting tired of this "support" thing. Is Samsung galaxy S still getting the newest Androids? Or some mid level HTC's? The truth is that only phone manufacturers who support their phones more than 1-2 years are Nokia and Apple. Apple even more so. But I'm surprised if 3GS is getting a workable v.5 iOS.
Hows this for support....

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...91#post1047891

Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
Quick question what is the actual release date for the N9 in Australia?
Nobody really knows? It is rumored that the delivery would be the end of September in Sweden. perhaps the same schedule is also in other countries at the earliest.

Originally Posted by Arpa View Post
Is Samsung galaxy S still getting the newest Androids?
As a matter of fact, yes it is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAZOR For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
The sad fact of this is that neither gerbick nor danramos have used the N900 for a sufficiently long time (leave alone using it in the first place), to really comment valuably on such comparisons in the first place...

anyways lets stop this bashing now... we respect you both, but this discussion leads us nowhere.
There's no respect in your statement; I see only assumption. Rather baseless assumptions in fact.

But that's your opinion. Don't attempt to pass it off as fact. I find that more insulting than asking the question that you apparently hadn't...

Now. I'm going to do something that I shouldn't have to... answer an assumption with facts when you didn't even bother to ask a question - this is my monthly "answer an assumption" session it seems and you're in luck.

To answer your implicit question as opposed to your faulty deduction, when I used the N900 while in Pittsburgh, Toronto, Mexico City and Houston; I had already had access to one for a month. When I purchased mine later in the year, I just recently sold it, this year a few months back. Those trips were from last year. And we had 2 other N900's in the office, one preceded my purchase (office owned), one was after.

So that's months of usage, evaluation (which is part of my job, evaluating the viability of mobile OS's) and exposure.

I can qualify my experiences - I go back to the 770. Can you? Will you take the time to answer with facts or will you just come out with more opinion? I don't mind waiting.

I also have experience with Android, iOS and other OS's - lately WP7 (don't get me started on that rant).

Now... if I have to answer another assumption this month, that's really going to be on you for not taking the time to actually learn what I've been doing, saying and stating. Pay attention or continue to make asinine statements based on nothing but faulty deduction and/or dedication to a manufacturer forgotten OS and device.

Savvy?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Hi Folks,

I started a new thread for those who aren't overly interested in getting into the whole "why the N9/Nokia sux" debate.
Lets keep this one for folks who want to continue arguing why the N9/Harmatten/Nokia et al is poor Vs such-n-such.

N9 hardware/software/availability/pricing: no muss no fuss. I'll try to keep it updated, this way everyone's happy!
I'm personally remaining subscribed to this thread as I occasionally like to read why someone likes/dislikes N9/Meego.
But the other one shall be mostly free of that, for those who only want the facts/rumours...

Cheers!

*edit*
Actually I just I found a thread that perhaps some of the anti-N9/Nokia folk should've been in the whole time.
Direct those hypercritical energies towards identifying issues that can possibly be rectified down-the-track!?
Or don't & just keep the discussion going here, or start your own "Why Nokia/N9 sux thread", up to ya'll!

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-07-09 at 22:17.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
[...] and Gmail polling per 30 minutes [...]
Wait, the Android MUA doesn't do IDLE either?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????