Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by 9a6or
I fixed my own problem of errors when parsing route files. I open the .xml file in Notes and then save it. This removes/changes the characters which prevent correct loading of the file. The announcements will probably use the modified text but at least I can load the route.

Now that I have a route opened, I want to download the maps along the route using the relevant entry in the menu but it takes far too long. I think this is because I used an angle of 0.000000 when generating a nice smooth route and I suspect that a map is downloaded for each neighbouring location, ie. each jpg is downloaded several times. Is there any way around this, or will gnuite change this in a future version?
If two adjacent points in the route fall within the same map, Maemo Mapper will only download the map once. It will not download the map multiple times.

There may be a problem with "Download by Route", though, and I'm investigating it.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Originally Posted by heikki770
I think there are same kind of atof/ftoa problem in GPX route/trace files, because I have to replace dot (.) with comma (,) in lat and lon to get route files generated with "GPX driving directions" to work with my MaemoMapper and all saved trace files use comma!

I am aware of this issue, which has to do with localization and the fact that NMEA (and GPX?) are locale-independent. In the future, I'll localize Maemo Mapper, but until then, I will be addressing this in Maemo Mapper v0.1.1 by explicitly setting the locale to "C".

Originally Posted by ElGatoFlojo
So, my real question in all of this is flite. I've installed it, and the little 'flite test app' gives me text when I type it in. How-ever when I'm running mapper, I hear no speech at all, and I've got the volume turned all the way up. Is there anyway to trouble shoot this?
First, if you haven't already, try rebooting the device to make sure that flite is in the PATH of the running Maemo Mapper.

Second, you probably know this, but you have to have a route in order to hear voice. The voice is emitted only as you approach a waypoint, which requires a route (with waypoints) to be loaded and a GPS receiver so that Maemo Mapper knows when you're approaching a waypoint. A waypoint in Maemo Mapper is defined as any trkpt in the GPX file that has a (non-empty?) "desc" tag attached to it.

Once you load a route, the route appears as a set of green circles connected by lighter-green lines. Your "next waypoint" is colored slightly darker than the other waypoints. When you get within a certain (speed-dependent) range of that waypoint, the voice is emitted and an info box in the upper-right corner displays the contents of the desc tag of that waypoint (e.g. "Turn left at Baker Street").

If you do not see the info box, then the voice will never be activated. Also, the voice is only emitted once per waypoint, whereas the info box is visible until you pass the waypoint, also at which point your "next waypoint" changes and the "darker green circle" moves to that next waypoint, and the process repeats.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Thanks for the donation!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Is there a way for me to get the nmea output mapper is using, I had some scripts that I used with gpsdrive to cat /dev/rfcomm0. Is there any way to get to that?

Why does it save map files as jpg, when they are png files?

file 3014.jpg
3014.jpg: PNG image data, 256 x 256, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
gnuite,

As I am reading this thread I am realising how much effort you have put in this great program! Thanks for making GPS navigation available to us.

gnuite, this is such an excellent app that makes the cost of the 770 so much more tolerable. My thoughts on getting a GPS display unit for the car are now gone. Is there a way in which I can enter in POIs (points of interest) and get them to show up? e.g. free wifi hotspots? even manually would be fine, don't need automation. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by penguinbait
Is there a way for me to get the nmea output mapper is using, I had some scripts that I used with gpsdrive to cat /dev/rfcomm0. Is there any way to get to that?
Not at the moment, no.

Originally Posted by penguinbait
Why does it save map files as jpg, when they are png files?

file 3014.jpg
3014.jpg: PNG image data, 256 x 256, 8-bit colormap, non-interlaced
You know, I'm not sure. I knew the data was PNG, but for some reason every example I saw online of getting maps from Google Maps used a jpg or jpeg extension, probably because they were working with the satellite data.

The extension doesn't really matter - just that it is consistent regardless of the true format. Maybe I should have just disregarded the extension entirely, but it's too late to do that now without asking people to rename all of the Map Cache data.

Originally Posted by m509272
gnuite, this is such an excellent app that makes the cost of the 770 so much more tolerable. My thoughts on getting a GPS display unit for the car are now gone. Is there a way in which I can enter in POIs (points of interest) and get them to show up? e.g. free wifi hotspots? even manually would be fine, don't need automation. Thanks again!
Not at the moment, but I'm hoping to incorporate this functionality in a future release.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Um any chance this is comming? maybe a check box to log all nmea data? Or can we use other GPS access like rfcomm with mapper?

Again, this thing is awesome

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Virginia Beach, VA USA
This software is awesome! Finally the bluetooth GPS I bought months ago is truly useful for something. GPSdrive is powerful but it wasn't stable or really usable on the 770.